Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IE won't connect to any site

Default Re: IE won't connect to any site

Quote Originally Posted by deakie
    oh, i agree, but then i would like the browser that sees all and not eradicate any due to its compliance.
    Technology was built on standards and compliance. In this case you can't create browsers to work with every non-standard. In my opinion it would definately create confusion and may affect the internet the way we know it today.
    Last edited by leoandru; Feb 20, 2005 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deakie
    oh, i agree, but then i would like the browser that sees all and not eradicate any due to its compliance.
    Its not that these browsers have choosen to erradicate IE pages, its that these pages, because they are not standards compliant, won't load on a browser that is. Think of it this way: if you have a generally accepted rule that says all wheels must have 4 lug nuts, when all cars do everything is fine. I can just go out and ask for a car wheel and I know it will work on my car. But if some manufacturer decides to make their car with 3 lug nuts for whatever reason, and their car is popular, we cannot blame the manufacturers who make tires for this 3 nut car that doesnt work on other cars. There is no problem with the other manufacturers, its a problem with this one exception.

Most browsers out there today are standards compliant (Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Safari). Unfortunately, for a time many people built pages for IE mainly. So now we are suffering with these legacy pages, based on legacy technologies.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

@Archangel look if IE is in Work Offline mode.
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

Quote Originally Posted by icuucme
    look if IE is in Work Offline mode.
    I doubt thats it, cuz when u enter a url it would ask u if you want to connect or work offline.

Come come now people. Don't make me have to hypnotize you guys to stay on topic and not go into why this browser is better than that browser.

I will try your suggestions. I should also mention that this is the first time since she got her laptop that she is using IE. Since she got her laptop, one of the first thing I installed was Mozilla Firefox, so she has never used IE on the laptop before. All the IE settings are in it's default settings as is shipped with Windows XP.

Update:
    Quote Originally Posted by juba
    1. Open IE
    2. Select Tools
    3. Select Internet Options...
    4. Select Connections Tab
    5. Verify Never dial a connection is selected.
    6. Select LAN Settings...
    7. Make sure all 3 options are uncheck
    The "Automatically detect settings" was checked. I unchecked it and IE can now connect to the net.

Thanks.