Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE won't connect to any site

Default IE won't connect to any site

I dislike IE so much it really pains me to ask for help about it. But this is for my mother who has a laptop, connected to a wireless network. (my wireless network I just set up at home)

She plays some games online that requires IE so that's they reason she needs IE. But when she opens IE it only brings a typical error page saying connection to the site cannot be established. This goes for any and every url she tries.

Wierd thing is, at the same time Firefox works just fine. She can browse just fine with Firefox.

So what could be the problem, that makes IE not able to access the net, while Firefox can access the net?

ZoneAlarm has IE configured to access the internet.
    Nothing in IE settings looks like it could be preventing it.

Any ideas, suggestions guys?

Default Re: IE won't connect to any site

Horraayyyy I mean, thats strange. What version of IE she using (6.0) and everything patched and up2date.
    If all a dis true and dont help, then try reinstalling it.
    If u've tried that then....... uhmm, reinstall windows LOL

I have encountered this problem with IE many times,Arch maybe you just need to repoint IE to your current internet connection.
    Open IE.then at the task bar choose tools,intenet options,choose the connections tab,click setup. A internet connection wizard comes up,click next,choose the options that says "connect to the internet",choose setup my connection manually,connect using broadband connection that is always on and finally click finish and your done.

If that doesnt solve the problem go back to internet options,then choose connections tab and at the bottom look for "LAN SETTINGS" a window pops up make sure " Automatically detect settings" is checked
    GOOD LUCK ..
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

IE is crap, sometimes you have to refresh every link for it to show.

I always find it interesting how techies have a problem with Ie, I have never had a problem with it before. Works fine for me. Anyways arch just try what Prod said and u should be fine. Or u can also reset IE to defaults.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Do the following:

1. Open IE
    2. Select Tools
    3. Select Internet Options...
    4. Select Connections Tab
    5. Verify Never dial a connection is selected.
    6. Select LAN Settings...
    7. Make sure all 3 options are uncheck

Like MiTcHiE, I too dont find problems with IE. Its just that Firefox is better....much better.

As suggested I really think the problem is with your IE "Internet Optons" settings.

the refreshing of the pages is down to your dns settings. not the browser....are you losing packets?

ie works and not a lot of other browsers can make that claim. they often fall over at some point and cannot get some pages as well as other sticky issues.

its the security of the most popular browser thats in question....certainly not its functionality.
    i find ie is a proper browser if it werent for the holes......

Quote Originally Posted by deakie
    ie works and not a lot of other browsers can make that claim. they often fall over at some point and cannot get some pages as well as other sticky issues.
    There are pages that are non-standard compliant they were programmed specfically for IE. That is the reason why other browsers which are standard compliant refuse to work with these pages.

oh, i agree, but then i would like the browser that sees all and not eradicate any due to its compliance.