1 4.17%
  • Own a Android Phone

9 37.50%
  • Want a Android Phone

12 50.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Android

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    lol, funny enough i have wifi where i go (home, work, school.. even ma bredgin's house and GF's house ) so i guess.. i pay nothing.. cant be bothered to pay 1500 for monthly service when my g1's radio receiver has such a far radius that i can pick up a Utech signal from UWI hospital (no lie). because of this, im connected to the wifi 80% of the time (typing this from ma G1 as we speak :P)

I don't envy people who are on data plans.. the way i see it BB needs a data plan is because BB's wifi is crap!! whenever i used my 8900's wifi, the radio signal strength was pathetic and it drained my battery from 100 -> 0 in 3 hours unplugged so in essence its like paying 1500 to use a wifi alternative

its funny that HTC is so under-rated here in JA. I have never regretted buying my G1 and i've had it for almost a full year. but seem to always regret buying a BB at some point whenever the phone goes bad like some buttons arent working, or trackball not working, or digitizer gone bad.. just always seems to happen to BB far too commonly

my ultimatum - i am willing to sacrifice a dataplan for superior wifi connectivity, thousands of useful + cool apps, Custom OS's, Overclocking, Faster boot and runtime, touchscreen AND qwerty (not OR), and having less reasons for visiting your friendly cellphone repairman

and there u have it folks - the many reasons why i prefer a G1 (as old as it is) over any blackberry out today

different smartphone categories and their uses

blackberry - for data communication and ONLY data communication. not made to do much else

Symbian - average multi-media phone with a gajillion apps, java based so requires Java runtime environment installed to interact with a computer effectively

Iphone - if you wished you could make calls on your Ipod touch. Good at music and wide app library but half of them useless in JA. cant multitask, dependent on ITunes (bleh)

android - if you always wondered what it would be like to have a linux OS on your phone. Wide app library and customization capabilities (most of which require learning and research.)

dont mean 2 sound bias but im a hardcore tech freak.. so the more stuff a phone can do - the more i want it.

Symbian is actually a bit more powerful than android to date. try get the facts about symbian bro. symbian is the windows of the smartphone world, it does it all and much better too, too bad nokia allowed the UI to get so dated even after the advent of the iphone.
    THANK GOD

firstly, symbian isn't like the the windows of the smartphone world because it is actually good. if there is anything that is like the windows of the smartphone world its Blackberry hands down - marketability is a powerful thing dude and the similarities between BB and Windows there is all 2 similar

Secondly, symbian has been making MOS for smartphones since 2001 so naturally as the longest running OS devs they would have most market share and a more stable OS - its the reason why 'The Simpsons' is one of the most popular and marketed cartoons in the world. but look at dis - in 2 years, it is predicted that android becomes the second most dominant smartphone OS in the world.. now based on my previous comparison, if symbian is like 'the simpsons' then i say android is like 'family guy'. dont rule android out cuz it still growing ute - u doing the same thing as steve jobs :P

their both pretty good but change is good as well. based on what i've read, symbian not only fails to update the UI but also the source code as well.. lee williams has been promising since 2007 (around the release of the IPhone) he would not only revamp the UI but vastly improve its processor management and source code (camera firmware & radio firmware). that was 3 years ago ute, and with the various releases of OS9.4 - he still fails to bring it out. He claims that symbian has more promise than android, but if he doesnt haul *** he goin see his market share drop. on the other hand, which each android OS release, they DO update multiple factors of their OS as we can see from 1.5 all the way to 2.1.. they both have a long way to go but based on a CNET review, Devs actually prefer Android 2 symbian currently - that spells trouble for Lee

read: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10398202-16.html

Lastly, Symbian got stupid to stump their market to Nokia phones.. and dont blame nokia for the dated UI.. blame symbian. Look at it now, Motorolla, Sony Ericsson, LG, and Samsung dere start making Android Phones along with HTC- its only a matter of time till android dominates
    Last edited by vylle; Jun 27, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

With such a wealth of info, then why make a comment such as the previous one.

Symbian - average multi-media phone with a gajillion apps, java based so requires Java runtime environment installed to interact with a computer effectively
    Maybe you just stumbled upon this last bit of info but the least you can do is retract that previous statement which is obviously erroneous.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    With such a wealth of info, then why make a comment such as the previous one.

Maybe you just stumbled upon this last bit of info but the least you can do is retract that previous statement which is obviously erroneous.
    that comment was based on my user experience (OPINION) of Symbian on a nokia E63 and a nokia N80. I never used them for any superuser or development purposes nor did they offer much customization tips apart from wallaper/theme. To me it seems like all these super user functionalities are a bit harder to find and are closed off to more higher tier users. i wasnt driven because of this and thus i saw it as a phone with a barrel fuill of apps.

in retrospect - i edited that symbian is based on C++. and even if symbian is based on what i found the most popular phone - its pretty average because alot of the information on customization is cut and dry and like you said, dated

that is the current appeal of android to ALOT of their users - its customizability + its bucket of apps
    Last edited by vylle; Jun 27, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Nice edit, java was way off.
    THANK GOD

well no you cant blame symbian for the ui, blame nokia. Symbian os did not have a UI up till it was opensourced, it consisted only of a micro kernel with aditional telephony and a graphics plugin stack. the graphics plugin stack is called uikon and provides an interface where manufacturers could add their own ui and application layer, thats why we had series 60, series 80, series 90 and uiq. Series 90 was based on the same hildon ui in the n900 today!

what happened was that nokia dumped all but series 60 merged with s80 aka s60 and uiq died so we ended up with the ui we know today as representing symbian. S3 brings over the same avkon s60 ui framework while s4 will bring the new more flexible orbit ui framework. symbian is effectively the youngest os(others are unix/linux based) with the oldest ui(11yrs old), the ui that nokia created.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Android mi seh!! Im writing this while getting internet from tether my nexus one through wifi (on claro 3g) and I cant complain (except that claro 3g needs to be faster, at least 2.5mbps mi seh!!)).

Ive been using the N1 for about 3 weeks now and after the first 3 days of buyers remorse (the cost) I quickly got over the fact that its not an iphone and could see the features it has over the iphone which made me pleased with my purchase. For the price I could have gotten an iPad, but I wasnt moved to do so, especially because of the lack of flash. I cant say enough about how useful the browser is in froyo with flash, I find i dnt use my lappy for much quick browsing as i used to, especially when frustrated with my blackberry's browser.
    Google Nexus 6P™

One question here, if I were to jump on the android ship, what amount of money will I be spending on the cheapest android phone?
    DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9500)
    Tab: Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by samson1433 View Post
    One question here, if I were to jump on the android ship, what amount of money will I be spending on the cheapest android phone?
    Depends on if you looking for a brand new device unlocked then you can look to get a G1 but bear in mind tht this was the first android device you can get them for abt 200-250, there is a store in mobay selling them for like 230.

You could always buy one second hand though for a reasonable price, i wouldnt buy from stores out here though as their prices tend to be a bit astronomical, if you want a more updated device look to spend between 400-500 which is really not bad when you look at it
    Last edited by zerodeth; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by samson1433 View Post
    as he said it all depends if u going on the 2nd or 1st hand.
    but you do have reasonable ones on sale
    the G1 he was u can get them between 15k-20k used in that range
    and u can probably deal wid a different fone