1 4.17%
  • Own a Android Phone

9 37.50%
  • Want a Android Phone

12 50.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Android

Default Android

Some of us want some different than IPhone and Blackberry, many persons out there are interested in starting a Andriod movement locally

ok guys let me give you a solid diffference between android and Iphone and BB in terms of experience

what sets android apart from iPhone and BB is the level of customization. Because android OS is build on linux (which is open source) after rooting your Android - basically the whole world of android opens up for you in that you can download customized Operating systems (right now im on CM5.0.8_DS), customizable themes and home replacement apps and customizable features such as apps2SD, CPU Overclocking, Volume hack and tonnes more stuff. in essence, you can change everything about how your android phone operates. the downside to this process however is that you will need an SD card and partitioning which takes up a bit of space.

alot of the apps for android work here in JA over Iphone. eg. i have an app called fliXter that shows me which movies are coming out in local cinemas, playtimes, distance and directions ticket costs, ratings and the nearest burger king from there. not sure if an Iphone or BB can do that. another app that i got is wave secure, which is a security app that embeds itself into the phone system and acts like lojack by sending text messages to selected contacts about the phone number and location of the phone if a new simcard is entered (in case of theft). another option of this app is to preform a datawipe and firmware lockdown on failed bootup password entry. again another downside is that alot of the apps have to be paid for (but there are ways to get around that)

honestly, i've owned 3 blackberries (8320, 8900, 9530) and also 1 iphone along with my G1 android and none of the other phones come close to the greatness of my G1. i suggest to everyone (who actually USE their smartphones) to try an android phone.iphone aint got nothin on android phones! compare the specs of a G1 vs. an IPhone 3G vs.BB 9000 .. G1 MURDERS BOTH!! to think, G1 is far older than em LOL
    Last edited by vylle; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

ummm are my eyes giving problems or is this an android thread in a symbian forum? :/
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

First i dont understand the poll?!?

How much a month are you paying for data vylle?

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    First i dont understand the poll?!?

You had to go there? lol. Thats all thats stopping other smartphones from dethrowning BB. RIM has a good thing going on, If BBS was only available on an archaic BB and all the other OS/manufacturers phones could convert into space ships, BB would still sell like hot bread simply because of BBS.

Data charges will kill you on just about any phone other than a BB.

Not the phones fault that its virtually useless after you buy it. The android is a great OS but google better start working on an unlimited hosted data service that is independent of these nasty telecoms b4 android can compete directly with BB.
    THANK GOD

This has been helpful I was basically asking the similar question here http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...highlight=pros I got no response though.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Interesting, wonder what would happen to BB if Google was able work out a similarly attractive data package. Would RIM be innovative enough to compete?
    Respawned: Asrock Z77 EX6_i5 2500K_XSPC Watercooled_16GB Vengence DDR3_2xCrucial M4 64gb ssd Raid0(os) 3TBs(stor)_Corsair AX860_MSI GTX 760_2x Asus 23.6" LED_Win8
    Computers-Incredibly fast accurate & stupid. Humans-Incredibly slow,inaccurate & brilliant. Together we are powerful beyond imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
    Interesting, wonder what would happen to BB if Google was able work out a similarly attractive data package. Would RIM be innovative enough to compete?
    one word, no................
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    lol, funny enough i have wifi where i go (home, work, school.. even ma bredgin's house and GF's house ) so i guess.. i pay nothing.. cant be bothered to pay 1500 for monthly service when my g1's radio receiver has such a far radius that i can pick up a Utech signal from UWI hospital (no lie). because of this, im connected to the wifi 80% of the time (typing this from ma G1 as we speak :P)

I don't envy people who are on data plans.. the way i see it BB needs a data plan is because BB's wifi is crap!! whenever i used my 8900's wifi, the radio signal strength was pathetic and it drained my battery from 100 -> 0 in 3 hours unplugged so in essence its like paying 1500 to use a wifi alternative

its funny that HTC is so under-rated here in JA. I have never regretted buying my G1 and i've had it for almost a full year. but seem to always regret buying a BB at some point whenever the phone goes bad like some buttons arent working, or trackball not working, or digitizer gone bad.. just always seems to happen to BB far too commonly

my ultimatum - i am willing to sacrifice a dataplan for superior wifi connectivity, thousands of useful + cool apps, Custom OS's, Overclocking, Faster boot and runtime, touchscreen AND qwerty (not OR), and having less reasons for visiting your friendly cellphone repairman

and there u have it folks - the many reasons why i prefer a G1 (as old as it is) over any blackberry out today

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    This has been helpful I was basically asking the similar question here http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...highlight=pros I got no response though.
    different smartphone categories and their uses

blackberry - for data communication and ONLY data communication. not made to do much else

Symbian - powerful OS with a gajillion apps, Based on C++, lacks much customization, editing source code hard to obtain *edit - based on researched info

Iphone - if you wished you could make calls on your Ipod touch. Good at music and wide app library but half of them useless in JA. cant multitask, dependent on ITunes (bleh)

android - if you always wondered what it would be like to have a linux OS on your phone. Wide app library and customization capabilities (most of which require learning and research.)

dont mean 2 sound bias but im a hardcore tech freak.. so the more stuff a phone can do - the more i want it.
    Last edited by vylle; Jun 27, 2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    Symbian - average multi-media phone with a gajillion apps, java based so requires Java runtime environment installed to interact with a computer effectively
    nope symbian is not java based nor does it require java runtime to interact with pc in any capacity(only in dev purposes with the old carbide IDE)
    Iphone - if you wished you could make calls on your Ipod touch. Good at music and wide app library but half of them useless in JA. cant multitask, dependent on ITunes (ble)
    Thats d reality, lack of customization is also a big prob.