Thread: Caribbean ICT Roadshow

Default Caribbean ICT Roadshow

I am lobbying for TJ to create an expo/seminar/etc section

-------------------------------------------------

Start Time: Wednesday, 19 May 2010 at 09:30
    End Time: Tuesday, 29 June 2010 at 17:00
    Location - Nationwide: Kingston, Mandeville, St. James, St. Mary

Theme: Tapping into the Collective Genius

As part of its 20th Anniversary celebrations, the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU) is staging a regional Caribbean Information & Communications Technologies (ICT) Roadshow, which has been developed to raise awareness within the public and private sectors, civil society, and academia. The main objective is to showcase the innovative approaches possible and necessary for the effective use of ICT in government, business and social development.

An increased focus on ICT is part of the Gov. of JA's strategy for accelerated social and economic development. The topics addressed will include: social media networks - what have we learned and what is on the horizon; protecting intellectual property rights, mobile devices as sales and marketing tools.

The Jamaican leg begins in May 2010 with a series of parish events, culminating in a two day conference (June 28-29, 2010) at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel.

Calendar of Events:

Presentation, Forums, Exhibitions (10:00am - 8:00pm)

Wednesday May 19, Mandeville Parish Library, 34 Hargreaves Ave, Mandeville
    Thursday May 27, St. Mary Parish Library, Claude Stewart Park, Port Maria
    Wednesday June 9, St. James Parish Library, Montego Bay

Exhibitors will include the Social Development Commission (SDC), The Jamaica Library Service (JLS) and the regional/parish winners of the Scientific Research Council’s (SRC) Science and Technology Exposition. Forums and presentations on ICT tools and business development targeting young people, small businesses and community leaders/NGOs will also be undertaken.

Conference: Jamaica Pegasus Hotel

June 27: 6pm-8pm
    June 28 - 29: 8:30am-5:00pm

For more information, please contact Gina Leslie at gina_leslie@heart-nta.org or Melody Palmer at melody_palmer@heart-nta.org

We look forward to seeing you there!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICT4DJamaica

|--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

this sounds like something overdue for Jamaica, nevertheless, it's here
    "Smartphones, the World in a Small Package"

I received a msg that "It has been moved to July 19 and 20."
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]

Default Caribbean ITC

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Reminder to all, the show is on.
    I reached late today but I will the there tomorrow from early.

The show is streaming live (and also recorded) at http://www.jamaicalivetv.com/
    Last edited by Utech22; Jul 19, 2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add url link

I reached there around 11:30 a.m today and trust me i was not disappointed.
    Most interesting presentation was on xen virtualization by xsomo using an iphone...and an ipad..specifically xen desktop..to connect to a windows 7 and windows xp environment..hosted on a server via internet...to the server in miami....security concerns and redundancy for me immediately sprung to mind....there seem to be some issues...but overall it went well....was surprised that according to the presenter when i spoke to him after that 60kb per second is normally what a session would consume on average....was wondering how scalable it was...according to him he just did a setup for 22,000...which is ridiculous...who do you guys know down here that is employing the concept in their business model...only social lingua and xsomo come to mind?...any others...the booths were ok...but very little display if any displays of cutting edge technology...digicel had a VoIp setup with some cisco phones....innovative business solutions was giving short demonstrations on windows 7...and the new version of office....nationwide were there representing the media...it was not very large....and felt like a business seminar rather than a technology based event....but for what it was i enjoyed it.
    Last edited by druhan; Jul 21, 2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: clarity
    Knowledge is just wasted time if not put to action
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Network +, A+, CCNA, CCDA, CXFS, Avaya (ACIS), MCP ...next stop CCNP,MCSE, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, VCP

Quote Originally Posted by druhan View Post
    I reached there around 11:30 a.m today and trust me i was not disappointed.
    Most interesting presentation was on xen virtualization by xsomo using an iphone...and an ipad..specifically xen desktop..to connect to a windows 7 and windows xp environment..hosted on a server via internet...to the server in miami....security concerns and redundancy for me immediately sprung to mind....there seem to be some issues...but overall it went well....was surprised that according to the presenter when i spoke to him after that 60kb per second is normally what a session would consume on average....was wondering how scalable it was...according to him he just did a setup for 22,000...which is ridiculous...who do you guys know down here that is employing the concept in their business model...only social lingua and xsomo come to mind?...any others...the booths were ok...but very little display if any displays of cutting edge technology...digicel had a VoIp setup with some cisco phones....innovative business solutions was giving short demonstrations on windows 7...and the new version of office....nationwide were there representing the media...it was not very large....and felt like a business seminar rather than a technology based event....but for what it was i enjoyed it.
    hmm.. sorry i missed it.. well since it's still a young event seeing as it is the first (i think) the turn out and such is to be expected.. hopefully the next one will be bigger and better and hopefully I'll be able to make it ...>_>

Quote Originally Posted by badinfluence View Post
    hmm.. sorry i missed it.. well since it's still a young event seeing as it is the first (i think) the turn out and such is to be expected.. hopefully the next one will be bigger and better and hopefully I'll be able to make it ...>_>
    Watch the presentations at http://www.jamaicalivetv.com/