Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: android sub category

Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    Yea to each it's own. It's just every time I hear about Nokia in Ja, it's like the country still living in 2004.
    give me one reason for your answer or better yet tell me where nokia's operating systems(symbian, maemo) is outdated and I might just take u up on that, dont mention ui, been there done that.... Then tell me where android have innovated, what new did it bring to the table where windows mobile, iphone or symbian havent gone already.

If the 3 carriers would have some innovative skills they would have come out with at least ONE Android phone(even if it cheap and ugly). It's a pity the world leaving them behind. It just shows you they don't care about being close to the best in technology, but rather being great at milking everyone's pockets.
    Carriers are about making money and they are already doing that successfully with BBs, they are popular and bring in huge sums per device, why should they leave that to experiment with android? Ask the average Jamaican what android is and you will get the answer... some robotic thing lol(although understandably if the carriers advertise it it would be more widely known).

what should change is the import tarifs so tha I can import my advanced maemo/meego devices with comfort.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    Then tell me where android have innovated, what new did it bring to the table where windows mobile, iphone or symbian havent gone already.
    It brought cloud computing to the phone market Which is/was a huge deal. The only people who enjoyed anything close to this before Android were corporate customers using exchange, and that is for work email and not really in the same boat. With the cloud your contacts and calendar are constantly updated as you enter the information from your device, or the web. If you lose your phone, you're back in business as soon as you buy another Android device and sign into your account. If someone even just wants to be malicious and delete all your contacts - they can delete the phone side ones, but they'll all still be there in your Google account.

It brought the first truly open system to the cell phone market....which means more people can program for it and more carriers can customize it. The Iphone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Symbian are all 'held back' in essence, by their OS engineers and platform. I'll try to explain - the iphone is obvious, that one's locked down completely and quite evidently to many of us. Apple has full control and if Apple doesn't want to/feel the need to release an Iphone 5 for 4 years, they won't. Likewise, they can also not accept your app, remove it or ban it (and the dev) at their whim. They can also, as we see right now, write snippets into their licensing agreement locking out competitors in any way, shape, form or fashion - BAD for consumers.
    Nokia is in the same boat regarding their OS to their phones.
    But with Android, if Motorola wants to release Phone A. with a 1GHZ processor and 1GB of Ram today and slap 2.2 on it, they can. Then in a week if Samsung wants to release a 2GHZ based phone with 2GB Ram - they can too. There are NO restrictions because as long as the phone contains a minimum base set of hardware, Android x.x can be ported to it. All we have to worry about are how the brands we deal with deal with Android OS updates.
    Manufacturers are free to perpetually 'outdo' each other at every turn, which is VERY good for us, the customer.
    Rolled into that frame of thought, there's also a flavor of hardware for everyone as a natural side effect. Manufacturer A. builds a 4 inch screen based phone without a keyboard. Manufacturer B. builds a 4 inch screen based phone with one. Some do it all, like Moto and Samsung which tend to build the same phone with and without. Eventually, we'll get the phone we want.
    Do you know how many people have been pining for an Iphone with a keyboard? Apple absolutely refuses because SJ deems the Iphone's virtual keyboard perfect. It's a pretty severe and draconian system and Apple is enjoying the fruits because they've set a certain elevated perception of the phone through their dedicated fan base and spectacular marketing. Do you REALLY think Apple didn't have the research in when they made the 2G without 3G? Then the 3G with so many features missing? The 3GS is what I consider the FIRST real Iphone with a feature set of what was on the market at the time.

It's also the first phone OS that allowed VoIP based Apps and an integrated system for making voip calls.

Nokia has enjoyed success primarily through ubiquity. Their phones are literally everywhere and every phone has cousins and 'offspring' making the company the most prolific in terms of phone variation. They're geared for each and every market too....from emerging to premium to elite. The hardware is absolutely solid and Nokia tries to keep their phone software up to snuff. They've also been innovative, there's no arguing with that. They also roll with good ideas. Symbians App base was a real joke before OVI and even now, because they jumped on the bandwagon so late....there's an Iphone or Android app for everything....you never hear about OVI Apps. Them moving contacts to the cloud is also pretty sweet, a move spurred by Androids success.

Rim and WM are in a similar boat as Nokia. There's been no real 'push' for a better OS until the iOS and Android came, so these companies are stuck playing catch up. RIM at least enjoys a solid customer-base through being a 'business' geared phone - though the bigger companies with more money are now handing their workers Iphones. WM is stuck in Limbo because even though they head the way with touch screen phones (albeit stylus dependent) along with Palm, MS became complacent with what they had at the time. So naturally, things evolved beyond their wildest dreams and voila, fast forward to 2010 when they're not nearly as relevant anymore as a phone OS. And I speak of this with a heavy heart, as I have enjoyed WM for years. My first smartphone was a Motorola MPx200, then I went to the Dash and then to the G1.

They've each brought innovation in their own way.

I can't agree that the Iphone brought anything more to the table than a hella sexy phone. Apple brought the 'smartphone' to the mainstream through sex appeal and sheer popularity - so it's real innovation to me, is in the body of the phone; in summary, Design. Apples methods of reigning in perception is something no other company has mastered. They could sell a turd and you'd think it were the best product once Apple marketed it. Nothing else in the Iphone's arsenal strikes me as something that hasn't/hadn't been done already...especially with the Iphone 2G (Original) in mind.
    Touchscreen, done.
    Apps, done.
    Accelerometer, done.
    Built in storage, done.
    In fact, Nokia had most of this covered at the time along with 3G capable phones, they just didn't market it the right way. Remember the N95? That came at roughly the same time as the Iphone and was completely superior sans design. But what happened? Apple dropped the price of the Iphone drastically within a few months and the N95 was only picked up by people who could drop U$600+ on it.

If you can name me innovations you feel the Iphone (2G) gave the world, other than design, then please do. I could be wrong in my opinion and thinking.

My 2c, or I guess more like $20

Quote Originally Posted by Neoprimal View Post
    It brought cloud computing to the phone market Which is/was a huge deal. The only people who enjoyed anything close to this before Android were corporate customers using exchange, and that is for work email and not really in the same boat. With the cloud your contacts and calendar are constantly updated as you enter the information from your device, or the web. If you lose your phone, you're back in business as soon as you buy another Android device and sign into your account. If someone even just wants to be malicious and delete all your contacts - they can delete the phone side ones, but they'll all still be there in your Google account.
    It brought the first truly open system to the cell phone market....which means more people can program for it and more carriers can customize it.
    Yes thanks for highlighting these especially cloud computing which I believe was a great idea... just not too keen on 'forcing' the phone owners to to set up their account, they should have a choice.
    Apple has full control and if Apple doesn't want to/feel the need to release an Iphone 5 for 4 years, they won't. Likewise, they can also not accept your app, remove it or ban it (and the dev) at their whim. They can also, as we see right now, write snippets into their licensing agreement locking out competitors in any way, shape, form or fashion - BAD for consumers.
    Nokia is in the same boat regarding their OS to their phones.
    Not quite in the same boat, actually leagues apart. Nokia and other former symbian licencees allow competition in the form of alternate mail clients, browsers, media players etc, apple does not. Symbian signed was envisioned to protect symbian phones from viruses and crackers who issue cracked apps, all the entity does is test and release apps that have passed each test. Once your app have been approved you can then submit it to any independent app store you want or even set up your own website and sell your apps, again not apple style.
    But with Android, if Motorola wants to release Phone A. with a 1GHZ processor and 1GB of Ram today and slap 2.2 on it, they can. Then in a week if Samsung wants to release a 2GHZ based phone with 2GB Ram - they can too.
    no restriction with symbian in that regard either, even before being opensourced.
    Do you know how many people have been pining for an Iphone with a keyboard? Apple absolutely refuses because SJ deems the Iphone's virtual keyboard perfect. It's a pretty severe and draconian system and Apple is enjoying the fruits because they've set a certain elevated perception of the phone through their dedicated fan base and spectacular marketing. Do you REALLY think Apple didn't have the research in when they made the 2G without 3G? Then the 3G with so many features missing? The 3GS is what I consider the FIRST real Iphone with a feature set of what was on the market at the time.
    It's also the first phone OS that allowed VoIP based Apps and an integrated system for making voip calls.
    Iphone fans believe jobs know whats best for them :/
    Nokia has enjoyed success primarily through ubiquity. Their phones are literally everywhere and every phone has cousins and 'offspring' making the company the most prolific in terms of phone variation. They're geared for each and every market too....from emerging to premium to elite. The hardware is absolutely solid and Nokia tries to keep their phone software up to snuff. They've also been innovative, there's no arguing with that. They also roll with good ideas.
    Good ideas tha eventually get trash by terrible policy, ngage is a victim of that. They limited the ngage platform to big companies who kept on turning out poor games then kick small developers in the face by giving them the body language that they arent good enough.
    Symbians App base was a real joke before OVI and even now, because they jumped on the bandwagon so late....there's an Iphone or Android app for everything....you never hear about OVI Apps.
    disagree here, most of the best apps I know arent on the ovi store e.g. that paint app based on python that I believe is the best art solution on a mobile phone, plugins and all... i used it to create my avatar ... on an e71 so dont judge.
    plus ovi is another area where I am frightened of nokia, imagine: No individual developer is supported u need to be a part of a company, you cant withdraw sums from sales until the amount have reached or surpassed 500 euros, you need to pay in excess of 700 euros to set up your ovi account and sign your apps, only big companies can market themes.

This is seeming more and more like a fascist policy(ignore the wording), are they for real? small developers make up the bulk of apps in the appstore, now everyone know why only 15,000 apps are in the ovistore(ofcourse no single phone support that much) while a total exceeding 10,000 symbian apps exist in the wild. They need to change their policy.
    Rim and WM are in a similar boat as Nokia. There's been no real 'push' for a better OS until the iOS and Android came, so these companies are stuck playing catch up.
    RIM is just.... ummm locked in their own universe dunno wat to say... the problem is not symbian os but the UI, symbian was created independent of a UI allowing manufacturers to create their own ui ala series 60, series 80, series 90, UIQ.
    RIM at least enjoys a solid customer-base through being a 'business' geared phone - though the bigger companies with more money are now handing their workers Iphones.
    BBs have NASA grade encryption, the most secure smartphone... cant be said abt iphone.
    They could sell a turd and you'd think it were the best product once Apple marketed it. Nothing else in the Iphone's arsenal strikes me as something that hasn't/hadn't been done already...especially with the Iphone 2G (Original) in mind.
    Touchscreen, done.
    Apps, done.
    Accelerometer, done.
    Built in storage, done.
    the genius of jobs. I was reading the comments on the iphone 4 when it leaked, ppl called it ugly while some call it a cheap iphone knockoff... as soon as Jobs presented it, it suddenly got beautiful lol. His presentations are filled with disposable words such as beautiful, spectacular, best ever... its like an hypnotist doing his work :/
    In fact, Nokia had most of this covered at the time along with 3G capable phones, they just didn't market it the right way. Remember the N95? That came at roughly the same time as the Iphone and was completely superior sans design. But what happened?
    They need a Jobs lesson .. look at the N8 for example, it can be a complete home entertainment system replacement. The thing have bluetooth mouse and keyboard support, HDMI with dolby surround sound, USB OTG... who knows what these capabilities are? only geeks, none of the avg ppl know what it can do.
    apple dropped the price of the Iphone drastically within a few months and the N95 was only picked up by people who could drop U$600 on it.
    that had to do with network subsidy.
    If you can name me innovations you feel the Iphone (2G) gave the world, other than design, then please do. I could be wrong in my opinion and thinking.
    My 2c, or I guess more like $20
    multitouch that they bought
    I can buy an N1 with your reply
    My main problem with android was dalvik vm, I hate VMs and dont know java programming... there are also limits with the amount of programming languages android support.
    I also have a problem with the compulsory cloud registration, would prefer a choice.
    I am a debian apt lover but willing to try android one day and soon... am on winmo now and it is almost as much a pain in the neck as iOS.
    again great reply you soothed some of my concerns.

In order for the forum to have an android section we first need to have sufficient users then sufficient threads and topics about android devices. The advice is to start creating topics on mods, new android apps, new devices etc.. that would be a start.
    Last edited by kalel17; Jun 15, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

What in the world are you talking about? iPhone has had syncronisation (contacts and calendar) to the cloud since July, 2008. Before Andriod's initial release.

please remember android is primitive
    companies like Nokia, Sony Ericsson and unfortunately Blackberry
    have OS that does not only depend upon touch
    ask soon as android master this still i will be what ram130 calls it "hooked"
    Last edited by L4nd0; Jun 17, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
    What in the world are you talking about? iPhone has had syncronisation (contacts and calendar) to the cloud since July, 2008. Before Andriod's initial release.
    Ok, let me be clear(er).

MobileMe and Microsoft Exchange support were introduced in the Iphone OS 2.0 practically 3 months before the G1 went gold/general public. I'm working with the fact that Android (on the G1) was out and in testing already way, way before Iphone OS 2.0 was even announced (a few months after Iphone 2G release, somewhere in Feb 08), even if it wasn't officially announced until Aug/Sep 08' and RELEASED until October 08'. So, if Apple rushed sync to market in the form of Mobileme (and mind you, I believe MobileMe screwed quite a few people), I wouldn't consider that an Iphone 'innovation'. You also don't have to pay for it on the Android device, a big plus.

@L4nd0

I don't think it will ever happen. The most you'll get is synergy with both touch and buttons. All phone manufacturers are moving toward touchscreen technology, it's the natural evolution of cell phones. Even RIM is moving there slowly with the Storm, Storm 2 and now the "Torch" which has a touchscreen AND buttons. SE's newest stuff is also mostly touchscreen/touch+button and so are nokias. The only button 'dependent' phones you'll find now are dumbed down phones and phones designed and created for 3rd world/poor countries and emerging markets.

Embrace change! It's not THAT bad. For a long time I said I'd never ever get a touchscreen only phone but lately I've been considering it.
    Last edited by Neoprimal; Jun 17, 2010 at 01:39 AM.

@L4nd0

I don't think it will ever happen. The most you'll get is synergy with both touch and buttons. All phone manufacturers are moving toward touchscreen technology, it's the natural evolution of cell phones. Even RIM is moving there slowly with the Storm, Storm 2 and now the "Torch" which has a touchscreen AND buttons. SE's newest stuff is also mostly touchscreen/touch+button and so are nokias. The only button 'dependent' phones you'll find now are dumbed down phones and phones designed and created for 3rd world/poor countries and emerging markets.

Embrace change! It's not THAT bad. For a long time I said I'd never ever get a touchscreen only phone but lately I've been considering it.
    well the only touch screen fone I would embrace
    is the iphone 1g-3gs (not sure the 4g is my style)
    cuz its screen is scratch resistance

qwerty is the way to go! touch only phones are overated... the iphone keyboard is good but cant match the e71's..

Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    true..but for me, I ended up just getting a g1 one month after it came out, never knowing what it was or what I had. As soon as I signed into my gmail and all my contracts transfered I was hooked. Started realizing the full potential of what I got when I did some reading. Then just like that, I got the Verizon Droid at Google's Dev conference in NYC and moved on to the N1. I am now trying to get my mother the myTouch slide in hopes she start brag about having "upto date" phone lol..
    for real im constantly being amazed by android everyday i just discovred the contact syncing thing and it is so cool i love android
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by zerodeth View Post
    for real im constantly being amazed by android everyday i just discovred the contact syncing thing and it is so cool i love android
    yea i know right..the first time i turned it on it asked me to enter ma gmail info and after that I was now worried about getting ma contacts transfered over from the sim card. What I didn't remember was that I had already been using gmail to back up my contacts from the T310 days. So right away when I went to into Contacts to look for a way to import, I saw my contact come up and I was like is this magic? LOL..

Now I never gonna loose my contacts ever again or worry about transferring ntn..It's just the cheap phone them more time I'm worried about because I got over 600 contacts now since.
    Last edited by ram130; Jun 18, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    LiVE LiFE..LeVeL Di ViBEZ.....use to own a mobile site called McNAllySiTE... Google Advocate
    Current System:
    Win10 Pro, Reaper, Reason, Pro Tools, FL Studio
    Network: T-Mobile & Sprint 4G LTE; Current Devices: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5
    I manage: HitzConnect Radio follow me, twitter: @ram130