Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4G handset only days away - HTC Evo 4G

Default 4G handset only days away - HTC Evo 4G

Everyone's favorite WiMAX-powered Android device finally has a date and a price, and you don't have terribly long to wait: June 4 is the date that you'll want to be lining up outside your local Sprint store for an EVO 4G, $199 in hand (assuming you're signing up for a new contract, of course -- according to the fine print, the full cost is $450 before all discounts). Interestingly, Sprint has specifically called out that you'll be able to video chat (remember, the EVO 4G has a front-facing cam) over both 3G and 4G using Qik -- not a bad choice, considering the company's well-established expertise with streaming live video out of handsets.

Unfortunately, there's a downside to all this: customers will be paying a mandatory (as confirmed to us by Sprint reps) $10 per month "Premium Data add-on" on top of their plan -- ostensibly for the privilege of enjoying WiMAX when they're in a Sprint 4G market -- and the 8-device WiFi hotspot feature runs an extra $29.99 a month, which Sprint is quick to point out is half what you'd pay for a dedicated mobile broadband account. As we saw at CTIA, the phone is the first to offer on-phone YouTube high quality video, a feature that automatically kicks in when you're in the sweet confines of a WiMAX tower. Oh, and check this out: Sprint was hesitant to commit to offering simultaneous voice and data before, but HTC must've worked out the kinks, because it's all systems go -- you'll be able to yap and browse on 4G at the same time.

We're at the EVO 4G's announcement in New York as we type, and we can tell you that everything Sprint is demoing is crazy fast -- we'd expect no less from an WiMAX device with a 1GHz Snapdragon -- and we're particularly stoked to see them demo Need For Speed Shift on it, which will be launching on Android around the same time as the device. Follow the break for Sprint's full press release! ENGADGET link

question is, how long till 4G reaches ja

Digi said it was to be in the 2nd quarter which should end next month... it shouldn't be far away. Hopefully in about 2-3 more months i would hope and since they(Digi) are also selecting ppl for testing their internet services it sounds pretty close.

I wonder what their price will look like, I'm guessing between 65-80 thousand dollars.
    DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9500)
    Tab: Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0

It won't work out here tho ... Its CDMA
    Blackberry Bold 9000 w/ OS 5.0.0.411 [Unlocked]
    Nokia E72 [Unlocked]

I'm actually getting this on friday, since I pre-ordered it (total cost $200). But they don't have 4G down here in south florida as yet unfortunately, should be by the end of summer I hope.

And ya it's Sprint CDMA so since miphone cut off their CDMA standard in Jamaica I don't know how much capacity they have left for that now. Up til around 2 years ago tho u could still bring a sprint phone to them and they unlock it so u can use it on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by Taktician View Post
    Digi said it was to be in the 2nd quarter which should end next month... it shouldn't be far away. Hopefully in about 2-3 more months i would hope and since they(Digi) are also selecting ppl for testing their internet services it sounds pretty close.
    you really believe digi will (or even can) live up to that promise?

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    you really believe digi will (or even can) live up to that promise?
    Why? Is it impossible?

And the handset is pretty cheap even by highend standards.
    Last edited by kalel17; May 31, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    Why? Is it impossible?
    well im sorta used to empty promises from companies in jamaica.. sooooooooo.............. i wont believe it til i see it

I hope that they get rid of their $40 per MB rate and start some monthly plans.
    DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S4 (i9500)
    Tab: Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0