Thread: How to Get a Windows 7 Taskbar look in Ubuntu with Docky

Cool How to Get a Windows 7 Taskbar look in Ubuntu with Docky

Docky is a nice taskbar-like dock that you can easily drag and drop shortcuts to. It is very simple to install and customize, thats why I like it. It has this cool feature called Panel mode, where you can simulate the bottom panel making it look even nicer and more functional than the real Ubuntu panel. Here are some simple little steps how you go about setting up Docky.

STEP1-
    Open up Software Center and type in “docky” into the search box and hit ENTER.

You would then see all the docky related installation packages (in my case 2 are installed). You can install all 3 packages.

STEP2-
    Go to: Application--> Accessories and select docky.

To make it look like a taskbar or panel, go to settings and check the panel mode box.

To make it look more like a conventional 3D dock, check the 3d dock box in the settings window.

You can thinker with the settings and try other eyecandy utilities like Screenlets, Awn dock, Cairo Dock, Compiz and Emerald and in no time have a Ubuntu Desktop looking like this:
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

I got the following error. I think I'll stay away from it for a while...

Requires installation of untrusted packages

The action would require the installation of packages from not authenticated sources:

libgnomedesktop2.20-cil libmono-getoptions2.0-cil libnotify0.4-cil librsvg2-2.18-cil libwnck2.20-cil
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Wierd, never got that error at all. It installed just fine from the Software Centre.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Anthon, I will not tell you again to CEASE AND DESIST FROM ATTEMPTING TO MAKE LINUX LIKE WINDOW$!!! They are two completely different species!
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

i see u have convertall installed do u have a currency convert? the one i see in the SC is any to euro.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Anthon, I will not tell you again to CEASE AND DESIST FROM ATTEMPTING TO MAKE LINUX LIKE WINDOW$!!! They are two completely different species!
    Exactly. Why not juss get the OS instead of trying to skin for it? Even a dual boot makes more sense seeing as you can trouble shoot other things with this method as well.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    lol! Com'on Skele, why not spouse up the completely free OS to look like the one you have to pay for if it cost nothing? Besides. It makes Ubuntu that much more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by lovepython View Post
    i see u have convertall installed do u have a currency convert? the one i see in the SC is any to euro.
    Um! I think there might be a portable on. Not sure it works on Ubuntu though.

Quote Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
    Exactly. Why not juss get the OS instead of trying to skin for it? Even a dual boot makes more sense seeing as you can trouble shoot other things with this method as well.
    I dual boot them but it cost absolutely nothing to spouse up Ubuntu.
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

I didnt get that error either

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton