Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INSTALLING AND CONFIGURING WINDOWS XP

Default Re:INSTALLING AND CONFIGURING WINDOWS XP

Did you try to make a backup copy of the Wpa.dbl file as suggested in an earlier post?

I read that after the blue screen :-[

Just go thru the usual motions. First try getting in thru Safe Mode if not, simply re-install WinXP, if you haven't already done so. Let me know if that works for you.

While we are on the subject, I have an annoying XP problem. Two totally different machines, different components and all one is a PIII and one is a PIV. Windows XP takes about 10-15minutes on a blank screen during boot. ??? What is up with that... I'm sure someone else gotta b having that problem... so please... HELP! ;D

I don't have that boot delay problem with my notebook. As a matter of fact, my notebook boots quickly. I would of course suggest that you check your startup apps/services. Also, were these installations fresh or upgrades?

They were fresh. I think that it could be something in startup as well because it didn't always do it. I don't know when exactly it started doing it. I was just hoping that someone else also had this problem and could give me a pointing finger.

Thanks tho.
    L8r

odsamuels: have you installed Win XP SP1 on your machines? If you have, then I'll suggest that you uninstall and test. If you haven't, then try to install and test.

vicesquad: I'm not sure what to suggest, cause you can neither install nor uninstall anything. You may have to consider re-installing from scratch.

Chris - Thanks reinstalled already.

I need help with this problem though. Have two machines with XP SP1. One has two NICs, 1 goes to the cnet switch and second one goes to the ADSL. The second machine connects to the switch.

What I need to do is to share the ADSL and share files between the two machine. Using that ICS with WinXP and ZoneAlarm. Thought it was plum easy. However I either get Inet sharing or file sharing.

Also which NIC connection should I enable ICS on, the ADSL one or the Switch one?

Vicesquad,

Last question first.
    you would need to enable ICS on the internal NIC (one to switch) as ICS will try to use a private IP address range (169.xxx.xxx.xxx)

I have a similar setup with Win2K machines, however I choose to go the proxy route... using AnalogX FREE proxy software... actually I have a few machines using this setup.

From other posts I have come not to want to use Cnet products ... had not too good experience with two Cnet NIC when I was setting up the above.

Collin, thanks for the advice. Got at it Saturday and with the following links I solved the problems.

Have a Cnet NIC and a CNet switch. Have to figure out why I'm not getting 100Mbps instead of the 10 Mbps. Have to figure out the autonegtiaton on the CNet.

Thanks again.

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp
    http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-netxp.asp
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...et-Win2kXP.asp

If you have set the NIC to Auto then it will connect at whatever speed it senses .. are you sure that the Switch is a 100Mbps switch or is it a 10Mbps?

There are certain ppl on this forum who would tell you to throw the Cnet stuff out ;D but if it works for you then all is well.