Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best & Worst Laptop Brands 2010

Lightbulb Best & Worst Laptop Brands 2010

Consumers don’t always shop for individual notebooks, instead asking the question, “Should I get an HP or a Dell?” Knowing which brands you can trust to deliver the features you’re looking for can help focus your search for the perfect laptop. Over the past year, we’ve reviewed more than 170 notebooks and netbooks, rating each system according to design, performance, usability, and more. While we generally focus on individual machines, over time we’ve been able to identify trends based on the vendor. One company might always offer great designs and excellent keyboards, while another might excel at being the first to roll out new technologies; each vendor possesses its own unique strengths and weaknesses.

To help you make the right choice, we’ve gathered a year’s worth of data and analyzed the results. Of course, companies sell many different types of laptops with various target audiences in mind. That’s why we looked carefully at each of the major brands across several important criteria to rank the top 12 brands. The results might just surprise you.
    Continue here for the details and results:

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life...ands-2010.aspx
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Best & Worst Laptop Brands 2010: All Scores
    A winner in four of eight categories, Apple is the year's best brand.

Pages:
    Comments | Share:
    by Anna Attkisson, K.T. Bradford, Mark Spoonauer on April 13, 2010

Apple: Best Laptop Brand 2010 Winner

Out of our eight categories, Apple brings home the gold in four, with one—Performance & Reviews—carrying the heaviest weight of all the criteria. Plus, the company ranked second in the keyboard and touchpad category. There’s no question about it: Apple is the best notebook manufacturer and brand around. With every new product release, we eagerly anticipate its arrival, as do hordes of consumers who routinely flock to Apple Stores. Additionally, its support is second to none. We look forward to a bright future for this top brand, as its introduction of the iPad seeks to pioneer a whole new category of mobile computing. Read more.

Performance
    & Reviews Design Keyboard
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Selection Software Customer
    Satisfaction Innovation Total
    Lenovo: Best Brand 2010 Runner-Up

Not only did Lenovo have a very good year, but things are looking even brighter with the expected arrival of its breathtaking Skylight smartbook and innovative U1 Hybrid tablet-notebook. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Sony

Strong support and top-notch designs make Sony’s products well worth the premium. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Toshiba

An emphasis on delivering compelling industrial designs and innovative features at affordable prices make this brand one of our favorites. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    ASUS

Once known only for its netbooks, ASUS has evolved into an innovative notebook maker, keeping the likes of HP and Dell on their toes. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    HP

HP continues to offer slick designs and good performance for the money, but its lackluster support and customer satisfaction among readers dragged its overall rating down. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Dell

Despite lukewarm reviews and some ergonomic complaints, Dell’s overall designs have improved a great deal. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Samsung

We’re a bit underwhelmed by Samsung’s offerings of late, but we hope the company can turn things around. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Acer

Although we were disappointed with Acer’s tech support, the company generally offers the best value in most categories. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Gateway

While we’re not exactly sure why Acer is keeping this brand around, Gateway does provide good design and performance for your buck. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    MSI

Lukewarm reviews and poor tech support cancelled out our positive feelings about this brand’s strong ultraportable line. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &
    Fujitsu

Bringing up the rear, a varied selection of Tablet PCs and relatively good tech support are the only real positives about
    this brand. Read more.

Performance
    & Touchpad Tech
    Support Value &

Apple/Alienware/Lenovo build quality, design and longevity IN THAT ORDER

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by d_skillz View Post
    Apple/Alienware/Lenovo build quality, design and longevity IN THAT ORDER
    eye agree also add Asus to the list great laptops an they have a little Kinux based OS on the desktop models when ur pc boots up u can enter it and browse the web chat ,,,,,ect

i wud say sony is the worst because of its random mobo going dead issue back in the day, i still have a sony that looks really thats nice sitting dead...they even started a petition for this over 4000 1yr old sonys went dead without warming about 4yrs ago. dont know about today but thats 1 brand i'll never buy agen.

i have a sony and it s absolutely awesome
    rate them new laptops over lenovo hp dell u name
    customer service excellent too
    sony 3rd on the list after lenovo and apple according to link

WELL IMO the best brand now are the brands that are not as popular as the big guys. Like MSI, Cevo and Sager(sager and clevo are the same).

Like the MSI gx640
    CLEVO W860cu

And thats IMO.

My clevo is on the old side but it can still run all the latest games at very high frame rates and the resolution is the best all 1920 X 1200 of it.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

They didn't choose best brand only on the performance of laptops that the company builds but also on build quality, customer services, and so on. Their list order seems pretty much right to me
    ¤¤¤Liverpool ¥ Football ¥ Club¤¤¤

1st of all am not getting a laptop I can't customize, so no Apple for me. I don't want to BootCamp, I want to dual boot. So my list based on my experience:
    1. Asus
    2. Alienware- too expensive, thats why it didn't hit the number one spot
    3. Dell
    4. Lenovo
    5. HP

Don't make it on the list because:

Apple- stated above

Acer- I've seen more than 5 of them with HDD problems and my girl just bought one thats already giving problems. Had to take it to dealer about 4 days ago.

MSI- I love their bare-bone models and gaming model but the others lack style

Sony- Their laptops don't allow virtualization. Such a pity.

Toshiba- sleek designs but very fragile and can run very hot over long periods of operation. Thus leading to hardware failure

Fijitsu- Love their LifeBooks. Planning on getting one in the future but the brand needs go grow on me a bit more

Samsung- Got some sleek design but very fragile

Gateway- cheap with nice components and build but often times too heavy.
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

wow so apple wins...need to start saving towards my first mac ^_^