Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Female Techies

Default Re:Female Techies

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=1;threadid=944;start=0#msg8523 date=1055533075]
    I thought I was the only person who wondered about female members. Goes to show great minds think alike... 8)

[/quote]

Hey Xeno the first line was enough

Yeah you're right there is a lot of vibes over at Wheelsja
    pity it can't be replecated here ;D

I noticed that a looong time ago. When I was there, I asked myself....were all these girls into cars...as in getting dirty with mods and paintjobs??? NAhhh..!!!!

When I was in the chatroom... everything a gwaan. ;D

Maybe we should gang up on the chat room one day???

(pigeon enters carefully).... I hear lots of generalizations here.

Fact is they are "generally" true.

But remember there ARE exceptions. At the same time don't under value the other sex just because the same things that get us "pumped" don't get most of them "pumped" so to speak.

BTW when you DO find a female techie, she's usually exceptionally good.

Hopefully you guys haven't managed to totally scare all the female techies.

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=1;threadid=944;start=0#msg8557 date=1055545307]
    Like I've said before, It's a fundamental fact of human psychology. It's as simple as that.
    [/quote]

Man....who u trying to kid??? It's NEVER simple when it comes to your posts... ;D

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=1;threadid=944;start=0#msg8557 date=1055545307]
    Perhaps... but a comparison of apples and oranges was necessary. I don't expect to get very favourables response to what I said earlier, but it pretty much explains the question doesn't it? I'm not saying that the other site is bad (as what you might be thinking). I'm just trying to show you how people think. How people think (not necessarily what they think) explains a lot of why certain things are the way they are in society.

I like this site for what it is and what it stands for. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the other site. I just prefer how this one is governed. While not everyone will find that most appealing, you can't possibly expect every site that caters to social interaction to be a one-stop-for-all-your-social-needs site. Somebody has to set a standard somewhere and the nature of our discussions do not necessarily lend the site the kind of let-your-hair-down interaction you'd see elsewhere. Not every social behaviour is acceptable everywhere.

If you note carefully, most of the people that flock to a particular site that caters to social interaction usually share a common thread (no pun intended) as far as personality is concerned, not necessarily because of common interests. That's why when the people of those sites meet in person, they get along fairly well.....until they meet each other in a deathmatch. (Fairly should be taken with a grain of salt... )

That's why you will find gamers, programmers, engineers, electricians, teachers and intellectual thinkers grouping on sites that are science or technology oriented.

That is also the reason why you will find racers, thrill-seekers, braggarts, mechanics, joy-riders, competitive-natured, impulsive and exotic individuals grouping in sites that are automotive oriented.

This is not to say that those are the only types of people that gather at each respective site. There is some overlap. So you will invariably have individuals who are members of both sites because they share genuine interests in both fields.

This is a fundamental fact of human psychology.

Now women are not well known for their ability to think logically or methodically (no disrespect ladies). Men are. A classical example of this is a recent MTV hosted tournament called "Battle of the Sexes" in which males went head to head against females in an assortment of challenges. I thought that program served as a most interesting study into human psychology and expertly contrasted how either gender behaves.

There was a general consistency in the men's camp (with minor upheavals) because they set down some very simple and easy to follow rules on which everyone thought was straightforward and logical. However, discord reigned supreme in the female camp (eventually costing them the competition) because the women did what they felt like doing, not necessarily what was logically sound. So bad vibes plagued the women's camp until the very end.

This is not to say men are better than women. That argument could be no more fallacious. What this goes to show fellas, is that technology tends to attract people who love to reason logically. Technology enthusiasts are usually people who can reason in a easy step by step fashion that gets them from problem A to solution B. Not many women are blessed with that nature. That's why there are more men in the field than women. It does not make women bad for it. That's just how God made them. That is why 9/10 times, any technological innovation social hub will be dominated by males. [/quote]

You're right. I'm starting to think I should go into politics... ;D

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=1;threadid=944;start=15#msg8561 date=1055546120]
    You're right. I'm starting to think I should go into politics... ;D
    [/quote]

Tackle the newly revamped JCS for starters. I wouldn't wish politics on any friend of mine ;D

A few of my female friends are techies. In fact, it was a female techie from Chris's class at UWI that reffered me to this site. But she doesn't visit the forum though. Don't know why. She is one of those moderators at the computer labs.

Another female techie I know is into photo's and graphics at UWI and she uses her computer to edit her pictures. She uses some of the top-of-the-line photo editors and knows quite a bit about computer. I reffered her to check out techj, but it doesn't look like she has checked us out yet.

Oh well.

hmmmm....

I see what ur saying Xeno... it's the same reason that while a girl generally cries/mulls over a situation a guy will be hard at work trying to fix it... or why a lady may go to the mall for one thing nd take a year to buy it.. a guy has already scoped his options and when he goes to mall he going to one place for one thing and then his 'shopping' is done.... the idea that men seem to be more solution-first, all else later while women "waste" time seeing one solution but looking for all other prospects is as u put it.. a fact of human psychology

<slight deviation>
    A study done at UWI showed that in a simulated driving examination, women took almost twice as long to decide on what move to make and were still nearly 30% more incorrect than men ;D
    </slight deviation>

... however Xeno.. I part from u in one respect... I feel that it is this same phenomena that will have ladies scouting these boards BUT not as members... thus.. no evidence of their scouting!

I was amazed that my boss, a female techie (honours in her MSc Comp. Sci.. so she's good) knew of this board when I mentioned an off-type topic... when checked.. she aint a member.. but she obviously browes!

In other words.. I think that there may be a lot more female techies seeing these boards and posts than is evidenced by membership and thus postings. .. they're just window-shopping ;D

no way to prove that tho

there are certain things and certain places that are boy's and women dont like to go playing in those areas. however, they will observe what we upto so that they are up to speed. then when you think they dont know, they come with some innocent statement like 'but i thought it went like this......maybe im wrong'.
    you know at that point if yur shiux aint hot, then its a damp squid....

annnd u only eva get one opp to impress. fact!