Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Exchange Virus Alert

Default Re:New Exchange Virus Alert

You're right to an extent Matro. But I think what deakie is referring to is that for all machines used around the world, particularly personal desktops, Microsoft has an 85% market share. That's a fact. Hence if I wanted to do substantial damage out there in the world of IT, I will write a virus for a Microsoft product, not a Corel product.

So 'hardly used' is relatively correct. It may be frequently used in many private sector offices you know of, but looking at the big picture, the Jamaican Government has MANY many many MANY more offices islandwide than all private sector companies combined. All of them use strictly Microsoft products. There was actually an exercise 2 or 3 years ago that ensured that all machines in Government were using MS products to have one standard across the board.

As a matter of fact, it is only after the Open Source and Linux Conference last Thursday that the Jamaican Gov't has officially resolved to ditch Microsoft products in favour of Open Source/Linux products. Come 2004, a mandate will be in place to change out all Gov't PCs to Linux. They've just come to the realisation that they can save millions of dollars per month that were being paid to microsoft by going the Linux / Open source route. ;D

So yes, right now, those products are still 'hardly used'. However the future looks bright for the Gov't as far as saving on expenditure is concerned. We're going Linux right across the board, eliminating MS products wherever possible, once and for all. Ofcourse this is going to be on a phased basis and it may well take a few years to wipe out MS across the board. So what they're planning to do is dual boot to get people used to the system before they wipe it out. There are just SO MANY machines to replace...... :-\

Even then, I still expect that there will still be a decent amount of dependency on MS. Do you have any idea how deeply rooted Microsoft's tentacles are planted in the world's business systems? >

Come 2004, a mandate will be in place to change out all Gov't PCs to Linux
    As I said in another post, there is more to this type of change than meets the eye.

Fred, from IBM has said something similar.

Don't just get up and send out instructions to make such a massive change. Do it properly.

Measure twice and cut once.

I have worked as a network administrator and I have worked as an I.T. consultant. Changes of this magnitude are never that simple.

The financial benefits are real and the change can be done. Just do it properly.

Don't worry Jamrock, it won't be an instant overhaul. Like I had mentioned before, I don't think I can spill the details here. But this was something that has apparently been in incubation for a long time. They just needed to see physical evidence of it in action before going ahead with the plan. Also, I do remember mentioning that the overhaul will take a few years to fully implement.