Thread: SlashDot has Dirty Links

Default SlashDot has Dirty Links

So i'm here browsing through my RSS feed in google reader when i came across this seemingly interesting story:
    Bad BitDefender Update Clobbers Windows PCs on Sunday March 21, @11:56AM
    Posted by Soulskill on Sunday March 21, @11:56AM
    from the it-actually-dispatches-a-man-with-a-bat dept.

alphadogg writes "Users of the BitDefender antivirus software started flooding the company's support forums Saturday, apparently after a faulty antivirus update caused 64-bit Windows machines to stop working. The company acknowledged the issue in a note explaining the problem. 'Due to a recent update it is possible that BitDefender detects several Windows and BitDefender files as infected with Trojan.FakeAlert.5,' the company said. The acknowledgment came after BitDefender users had logged hundreds of posts on the topic. Some complained of being unable to reboot their systems."
    So i thought i'd check out the source... only to realize i couldn't view the page. So i went duh! i have peerblock running and its blocking some HTTP's. I open it up and saw this:
    [IMG] By grim386 at 2010-03-21[/IMG]

Conficker

SlashDot don't have better security than this?!!! poeple can put whatever them want on their site!

By grim386 at 2010-03-21
    NZXT S340*Asus Prime B350 Plus*AMD Ryzen 5 1600*Cooler Master Masterliquid 240 AIO*8GB Patriot Viper 3000MHZ DDR4*SanDisk 120GB SSD*Corsair CX 650 80+Bronze PSU*Windows 10 Pro 64bit*Acer R Series 21.5" IPS 1080p 4ms Monitor

This is exactly why I don't use the internet.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    This is exactly why I don't use the internet.
    sarcasm to its fullest!
    NZXT S340*Asus Prime B350 Plus*AMD Ryzen 5 1600*Cooler Master Masterliquid 240 AIO*8GB Patriot Viper 3000MHZ DDR4*SanDisk 120GB SSD*Corsair CX 650 80+Bronze PSU*Windows 10 Pro 64bit*Acer R Series 21.5" IPS 1080p 4ms Monitor

They do review every single post that is made before it is put up to their site. But I am sure they don't have peer blocking enabled.

I don't see anything in the slashdots comments about anyone else having a problem with the links. Did they change the link in the guys post?

The link you pointed out takes me to bitdefenders knowledge base. http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Know.../consumer/#638
    Don't see anything fishy there.

But how can conficker get to your computer through a website? Is it exploiting some browser bug?
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Nop.. the link haven't changed

see for your self:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/03...rs-Windows-PCs

Quote Originally Posted by grim386 View Post
    Nop.. the link haven't changed

see for your self:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/03...rs-Windows-PCs
    I have visited slashdot article. I have clicked the link which is this: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Know.../consumer/#638

It doesn't look like the same article in your picture tho. See what I see:

You sure it isn't your computer that is infected and not the site?

What is peerblock telling you tho? That it is blocking conficker from downloading from the site?
    Or is it blocking the conficker virus from accessing the site?
    Peerblocker does say the source is coming from your IP address.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Mar 21, 2010 at 07:54 PM.

After i click the link it tries a redirect i guess and then take me to the bitdefender site. I don't think its my machine cause it only happen for that site and i ran all kinda of scans after i clicked the link

Quote Originally Posted by grim386 View Post
    After i click the link it tries a redirect i guess and then take me to the bitdefender site. I don't think its my machine cause it only happen for that site and i ran all kinda of scans after i clicked the link
    I dunno what else to say. I just not seeing any problems with the bitdefender site. Unless the bitdefender site has been hacked.

And no one else has posted a comment on slashdot that the link is funky.

And I am visiting the bitdefender site just fine. Don't see it doing any redirect.
    So, I dunno. Has me stumped.