Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon now Hiring in Kingston, Jamaica

Default Verizon now Hiring in Kingston, Jamaica

Verizon, the communications giant from the United States is expanding their business to Jamaica. They are currently hiring staff right out of UTECH's B.Sc. Comp. Sci. degree. final year student populous. However, being the unselfish person that I am, I felt it was necessary to share this information with you all, since I have become aware that there are some geuninely skilled programmers among this lot. If you are interested in any of the postions listed below, contact the Office of the School of Computing @ UTECH for more information, or stay tuned to this thread for more details. More details on this as I get it.

Note well that you will probably be in fierce competition against a number of UTECH students who will be well skilled in many of the disciplines listed below. Do not be daunted. If you feel that you have the experience and the skills, you will still stand a very good chance. I doubt that most of you will be skilled in all of the categories listed for each position, but that shouldn't stop you from trying anyway. Some of the requirements are not absolute. I hear that being qualified in most is good enough. On the job training will be provided.

Verizon is currently hiring people for the following job categories:

Software Regression Testers
    If you don't know what regression testing is, you might want to skip this one. Successful incumbents must be experienced in:
    - Microsoft SQL Server 2000
    - Stored Procedures
    - Transaction SQL
    - Triggers etc.
    - Informix (a bonus if you know Informix - automatic qualification!)

Java Software Developers
    Must be familiar with:
    - The J2EE standard. If you've ever coded in Java under Linux, you're Good 2 Go!
    - JScript
    - The J2ME standard
    - Oracle 9i DBMS
    - C++ (I would imagine both console and Win32 level - .NET is a Plus!)
    - XML
    - XSLT

Performance Engineers
    You'll probably need a degree for this one as it seems to be a manegerial position. But, successful incumbents must also be familiar with:
    - Software Testing / Planning
    - Shell Scripting (Unix, Linux, BSD)
    - Crystal Reports (Visual Studio .NET)
    - CISCO systems (if you have a CCNA cert, you automatically qualify )
    - Checkpoint™

Database Developers
    You will most definitely be better off with a degree for this one (a UTECH degree will have you more prepared).
    - Oracle 9i DBM Systems
    - PL / SQL
    - IBM DB2 systems
    - Erwin
    - AutoSys and SyncSort

Default Re: Verizon now Hiring in Kingston, Jamaica

Remember, many of the software packages listed (eg. Erwin, AutoSys and SyncSort) are not absolute requirements for successful entry. It would just increase your chances of successfully filling a position. If you're familiar with MS SQL Server 2000 (or a similar Transaction based SQL package like MySQL), you should be just fine.

I also heard (unconfirmed) rumors that they're looking for people who are into Zope and Python programming. If you're skilled in either of these languages and you want a chance to buss yourself, this is the opportunity you've been waiting for! Also, they're looking for people who are skilled setting up, working with and deploying OpenWare like Linux and BSD and experts who've configured routers (especially CISCO routers). A bonus if you're RedHat savvy. Like I said before, if you're CCNA certified (or higher), YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY!!!

Finally, you'll want to acquire their phone numbers and ask them about how their business runs, or visit their website and become intimately familiar with their organisation. They explicitly stated that they'll be more impressed if you have strong knowledge about the organisation and its history.

I will keep my "ears on the ground" and keep you posted as new info arises.

Best of luck to all interested parties!

A bonus if you're RedHat savvy
    I keep telling them that Red Hat is the corporation's distro of choice. All you Red Hat guys keep doing what you are doing.

All who think it is Red Crap or Red Garbage, think again.

We Red Hat guys will be smiling all the way to the bank.

i'm most very interested. I'm a third year student at utech. xenocrates, do you think i have a chance?

i'm a 2nd year..do i have a chance?
    The views expressed in the above post are not neccesarily the views of icuucme.

Quote Originally Posted by icuucme
    i'm a 2nd year..do i have a chance?
    If you don't send in an application, you don't have a chance.

They had 3 additional posts in the Sunday Gleaner dated Feb. 6, 2005.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

I can't swear for anyone under final year - lest I get your hopes up for no reason. There's probably specific a reason why they're tapping primarily final year people. They seem to be looking for specific skillsets that are taught in final year. So I wouldn't necessarily jump the gun there. However, if you HAVE those skillsets, like BCK said, you won't have a chance unless you send in your application. I mean, that's the only way to find out now isn't it?

To other folks who were asking me privately: No, no other position seems to be required at the moment. They don't want MCSE people, they don't want A+ people, they don't want people who only specialize in networking Windows machines. In fact, I get the distinct feeling they're not a very Windows-centric organisation - at least, not at the production level. Please bear that in mind.

They're looking for two sets of people primarily:

1. Database and software development people who have one or more of the following skillz:

- SQL/T-SQL experts
    - IBM DB2
    - Oracle 9i
    - Linux (preferrably RedHat)/Unix + shell scripting skillz
    - C++
    - Java (they seem to be heavy into Java programming - for obvious reasons)
    - CCNAs
    - Crystal Reports

So if you're not a programmer who is familiar with at least one of these software environments, or even software development at the database level, or even familiar with SQL Server at the very least, or you don't like programming at all, this may not apply to you.

2. The non programming positions available seem to require primarily CICSO certified people or intimate working knowledge of RedHat Linux and related platforms. Remember, this is a communications company. Most of the IT work available here is going to involve significant amounts of software development, database management / development and working with Linux/Unix and CISCO equipment (primarily routers I imagine). So if you don't fall into either of these categories, don't worry yourself.

I would imagine that half the populous of the JaLUG people on this site will be tendering their resumés........right? Especially the RedHat boyz. I sure hope you guys are milking this opportunity dry... or I will personally beat you guys to a pulp. Opportunity of a lifetime people. Chop, chop! Get to it!

Was there any mention of a desire for persons with IT security experience/skills?