Thread: Setting Up a Broadcast Address

Default Setting Up a Broadcast Address

I'm trying to setup the virtual servers to broadcast traffic to both PCs on my network so I don't have to enter duplicate entries or worry about IPs changing:

I tried following a tutorial that showed how to create a broadcast address, but I'm not sure if I got it right (since it doesn't work). I'm using one of LIME's Zhone modems connected to a dumb hub. What could be going wrong here?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Another thing. Is it possible to automatically throttle an app's bandwidth usage (eg. uTorrent) when something else is active (eg. streaming media or regular browsing/download) and remove the restriction after the other is done?
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;

I'm kinda lost with what you're trying to achieve in your first post? Why not statically assign the PCs if you don't want them to change? The uTorrent addy seems like a broadcast address to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Another thing. Is it possible to automatically throttle an app's bandwidth usage (eg. uTorrent) when something else is active (eg. streaming media or regular browsing/download) and remove the restriction after the other is done?
    You need to setup Quality of Service (QoS) for what you want to achieve here.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy View Post
    I'm kinda lost with what you're trying to achieve in your first post? Why not statically assign the PCs if you don't want them to change? The uTorrent addy seems like a broadcast address to me.

You need to setup Quality of Service (QoS) for what you want to achieve here.
    I did setup what's supposed to be a broadcast address, but it doesn't work with uTorrent. It still tells me there's wrong with the connection. However, something must have happened cuz my other stuff (regular browsing, etc) is really slow now.

QoS? How do I go about setting that up? I'll try doing some research into it.

OK, I did some research and experimenting and am loving the direction of the results so far.

But I'm having traffic shaping refinement issues as the ports used by the apps are so random (I checked the general ports used by the various apps). There are times when Winamp will stream fine, and times when it gets choppy (even with the settings shown; due to uTorrent taking too much I guess).

I use TeamViewer to VNC on both systems (PC10 is mainly accessed with PC9 - main system - AND via the Internet), Winamp for streaming radio on PC9, uTorrent on both systems (but mainly PC10) and browsers on both systems (but mainly PC9). I'm looking for a way to give TV the highest priority (except when WA is streaming, i.e. I'm home), followed by whichever browser is running on whichever system, and torrents having the lower priority (whichever system).

I was thinking that I could get an app/port mapping software and create a script to change the QoS settings on the fly (if it's supported by the router) or better yet, maybe there's a software out there that can be used to set individual ephemeral port ranges for esp the apps specified (done quite a bit of digging, but got nothing). Or is there some other way to get the traffic shaping I want?
    Last edited by Skele Drew; Feb 26, 2010 at 07:29 AM.