Thread: Connectivity Issues

Default Connectivity Issues

I got Flow internet today, bought a wireless router from Watts New, hooked it up per the instructions but not getting any internet access despite a strong connection, tried with laptops running xp and win 7, but no joy...

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

win 7 was prompting me for a 8 digit code that was supposewd to be on the router itself but there was no such thing...

thanks in advance....

What Arris modem do you have? (TM502G?)

What WiFi Router do you have?

Have you reset the router to factory defaults?

Do you now the management port for the router? (192.168.1.1 is default for linksys, for example).

Have you tried connecting your laptop directly to the Arris cable modem as a confidence check?

Lots and lots of posts re: hooking these up. Do a search for "wireless".

You can see a 'strong' wireless signal from the router and it means nothing... probably a set up issue. What I found was that I had hell despite precisely following the instructions until I added the 'Reset the modem' step to it... so I'd suggest you do all the following (probably not necessary, but simply easier at the end of the day):

1) Turn off your wireless adapter on your computer
    2) Shut down your computer
    3) Disconnect your router from everything (ethernet cablewise)
    4) Reset your router (hold down the reset button for 10 seconds) - plug it out
    5) Disconnect your modem from everything (ethernet cablewise)
    6) Reset your modem (same as above) - let it restart
    7) Turn on your computer (not connected to the internet in any way) (wireless adapter still off)
    8) Connect your computer to your modem directly
    9) Follow your router setup instructions (they typically assume you're computers directly connected to your router anyway)

...might seem too simple to be the fix... but that's ultimately what did it for me, after lots of pain and google-fu and whatnot. good luck

Thanks for all the responses, i had carried out most of the actions suggested before posting, i had left it hooked up to continue working on it the next day but when i got up and checked it i was able to get onto the internet. dont know what was preventing it, but its great now....