Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Networking

Default Home Networking

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking of setting up a network for my home.We should be getting broadband soon and there are now three computers in the house, so i figured it was time to try a home network setup.
    Basically i wanted to have a shared broadband connection with all three computers and the other stuff that comes with having a home network.Could i get some advise on ...wireless networking .... regular RJ45 cabling...routing...etc??

Default Re:Home Networking

We had a discussion about this some time ago and some pretty good info is in there.

check it out:
    http://www.techjamaica.com/tech_foru...y;threadid=804

But how far apart are the PC's?

Just a blind suggestion:

Typically would have the Broadband connection plugging into the router then from the router you have a 4 port hub [you can upgrade to an 8 port if your network plans to get bigger] then all the computers connect to the hub/switch.

you also have a combination of a router and hub in one device.

Router/Swith: http://linksys.com/products/product....29&prid=20

then when you have your network running, just set your internet for lan connection and booooyaka, multiple web access. then you can start charging the neighbours for fast internet connection as well. just run some cat5 to them house....

Yo 'deakie' check out the following rules of cabling in the next post:

Cardinal error my friend never run cat5 outside.

CABLING RULES

1. Try to avoid running cables parallel to power cables.
    2. Do not bend cables to less than four times the diameter of the cable.
    3. If you bundle a group of cables together with cable ties (zip ties), do not over-cinch them. It's okay to snug them together firmly; but don't tighten them so much that you deform the cables.
    4. Keep cables away from devices which can introduce noise into them. Here's a short list: copy machines, electric heaters, speakers, printers, TV sets, fluorescent lights, copiers, welding machines, microwave ovens, telephones, fans, elevators, motors, electric ovens, dryers, washing machines, and shop equipment.
    5. Avoid stretching UTP cables (tension when pulling cables should not exceed 25 LBS).
    6. Do not run UTP cable outside of a building. It presents a very dangerous lightning hazard!
    7. Do not use a stapler to secure UTP cables. Use telephone wire/RJ6 coaxial wire hangers which are available at most hardware stores.
    Larry

I thought someone would've mentioned this, but D0c, you can buy a home networking kit at Innovative Systems for $5000 + tax and it includes the following:

1 5-port Linksys Hub
    2 100-ft Cat-5 UTP cables (already crimped)
    2 10/100 mbit Linksys NICs
    Several Gateway Access tools such as WinGate (& others)
    2 Full Games (The games that are included vary).

You can buy a 3rd nic and another crimped cable for less than $1000 bucks at Intcomex, or a little more than $1000 bucks at Innovative.

If you're going for the wireless package, (802.11g) there's also a Linksys Wireless Home Networking kit which is about twice as expensive with the only difference being:

- No cables, just NICs with the pcmcia 802.11b card plus adapter
    - Wireless Linksys Hub. I've included a picture below.

hehe techgenie.......its good advice not to run cables outside of your house......hanging from trees yes....especially if its unsheilded...then you are attracting trouble. but running cable alone isnt what attracts lightning. lightning looks for the easiest electron path to ground, like water down hill.
    if there isnt any attraction from your cable then when the lightning crack, only noise is gonna be your problem.
    now if i run my cable in pvc tubing or rubber sheilding with foil wrap on the inside. booyaka, plenty of net connection a gwan during tundastorm yout. ;D
    the advice given is good because most ppl have low quality sheilding on their cable they buy in a regular shop.
    how do you think they survive when running cables between buildings on campuses filled with buildings?
    even your telephone lines outside your house on those poles conform to the same rules.

[quote author=TekGenie link=board=1;threadid=920;start=0#msg8062 date=1055343121]
    Cardinal error my friend never run cat5 outside.

CABLING RULES

1. Try to avoid running cables parallel to power cables.
    2. Do not bend cables to less than four times the diameter of the cable.
    3. If you bundle a group of cables together with cable ties (zip ties), do not over-cinch them. It's okay to snug them together firmly; but don't tighten them so much that you deform the cables.
    4. Keep cables away from devices which can introduce noise into them. Here's a short list: copy machines, electric heaters, speakers, printers, TV sets, fluorescent lights, copiers, welding machines, microwave ovens, telephones, fans, elevators, motors, electric ovens, dryers, washing machines, and shop equipment.
    5. Avoid stretching UTP cables (tension when pulling cables should not exceed 25 LBS).
    6. Do not run UTP cable outside of a building. It presents a very dangerous lightning hazard!
    7. Do not use a stapler to secure UTP cables. Use telephone wire/RJ6 coaxial wire hangers which are available at most hardware stores.
    Larry

[/quote]

Listen the man he's write, It might not look pretty in the house but it the best thing for you

Run the cables through the roof. Nobody likes seeing cables droping along the walls. Surely you don't live in a slabbed house do you?

you mean concrete house? ???