Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus One

Dunno about the 2100 band, I'm almost certain they only do 850. I tried out Claro's prepaid unlimited net for one day. The EDGE was shockingly slow. I'm comparing it to my experience with Digicel and my old BB 8900. Yeah, I know RIM compresses the data and all that but still...

Anyway, mi woulda work wid it same way if dem call quality never so abysmal. Half the time calls wouldn't connect at all and when they did, sometimes the other person couldn't hear me. Maybe it was just a bad day and I was unfortunate enough to catch it but I hear similar complaints from ppl so I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by bossmonkeyman View Post
    Dunno about the 2100 band, I'm almost certain they only do 850. I tried out Claro's prepaid unlimited net for one day. The EDGE was shockingly slow. I'm comparing it to my experience with Digicel and my old BB 8900. Yeah, I know RIM compresses the data and all that but still...
    Anyway, mi woulda work wid it same way if dem call quality never so abysmal. Half the time calls wouldn't connect at all and when they did, sometimes the other person couldn't hear me. Maybe it was just a bad day and I was unfortunate enough to catch it but I hear similar complaints from ppl so I'm not convinced.
    never experience problems like that with call, i only get frequent dropped calls.

As for the edge.. Gosh its as slow as digicel's and lime's gprs lol seriously it almost useless.. Then u have the time when it fallback to gprs which DOESNT WORK nothing loads until it goes up to edge. This is the main thing holding me back from getting the unlimited plan, i am sure that within a week that 3gb of 3g will be all but finished.. It becomes useless after that because of the slow snail-paced edge that follows.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

i finally own a nexus one now, need the data settings fir digi to put in now and try edge, nexus one cant use 3g here as yet, jus hope digi will go 3g and 4g dis yr at 900 or higher since bothe claro and lime uses 850mhz for 3g
    Qualifications: CXC's; Telecommunication Diploma; Electronics Communication Systems Diploma; I.T. Essentials; CCNA; CCNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruttus View Post
    i finally own a nexus one now, need the data settings fir digi to put in now and try edge, nexus one cant use 3g here as yet, jus hope digi will go 3g and 4g dis yr at 900 or higher since bothe claro and lime uses 850mhz for 3g
    apn settings? web.digiceljamaica.com

Do you like the phone?
    Blackberry Bold 9000 w/ OS 5.0.0.411 [Unlocked]
    Nokia E72 [Unlocked]

get the nexus one, since its much less restrictive than the iphone(( example u cant use mp3 songs as ringtones on ur iphone, but u can on the nexus) and the nexus has pinch zoom now like the iphone so u wont be missing much trust me. the nexus android smartphone is a better buy

i dont regret getting it, at least not yet lol
    Qualifications: CXC's; Telecommunication Diploma; Electronics Communication Systems Diploma; I.T. Essentials; CCNA; CCNP.

Please do a review, pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssseeee
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

i dont regret getting it, at least not yet lol
    I've had mine a couple weeks now and no regrets yet. It's not perfect (what is?) but it's pretty damn close For anyone interested, here are my initial impressions.

Hardware

I won't go into detail with the specs; those you can get here. The device is thin and light but still has enough heft to it to not feel cheap. The battery cover has a nice, rubbery texture to it that I suppose is to help with your grip. Overall, the build quality seems high but the 3.7in, 480x800 AMOLED display is the main attraction here. It's bright, it's sharp and the colours are vibrant and saturated. Anything you view on this screen will look good. Visibility in direct sunlight is good too, but not great. The screen is responsive, though I have read that if you own an iPhone now and switch, you'll notice a slight change for the worse. I couldn't say. All in all, pictures and videos on the net don't do this phone justice. It's a gorgeous device (although that's more like an opinion ).

The hardware buttons include the volume rocker on the side, power/lock button on the top and the trackball on the front. The trackball lights up to let you know you have a notification of some sort (think Blackberry blinking red light). Other than that, I didn't find much use for it except maybe for precisely positioning the cursor in a block of text or selecting a tiny link on a web page from a bunch of adjacent ones. The buttons above the trackball (Back, Home, Menu, Search) are all soft keys i.e. they're part of the touch screen. I've found them a little troublesome as you seem to have to press near the top of their icons for the click to register. This makes it a little too easy to accidentally press one of them when, for example, you're using the on-screen keyboard.

I haven't had any connection issues that weren't network related (I'm looking at you Claro) and the signal is strong where I expect it to be (based on experience with other handsets). Of course, there's no 3G in Jamaica but LIME's EDGE and free WiFi where I can get it have been serving me well so far. The phone has a noise-canceling mic but I haven't tested whether it makes a difference or not. Calls sound good but the speakerphone is a bit weak in my opinion. It's fine for phone calls but not so much for music and videos (the low-end tones aren't rich enough I think - that crown is still held by the Bold 9000 for me). That being said, there's always headphones.

The camera is a decent 5-megapixel shooter. Daylight pictures look great to me but don't count on the flash making a world of difference in low light conditions. It is a phone after all. The shutter speed isn't bad and the built-in camera software is decent too with a good few options for you play with.

Battery life is acceptable. Mine seems to be getting better with time but count on charging this thing every night if you're even a moderate user like me, perhaps even more frequently if you use it heavily. The biggest consumer of your juice will be the display (there's a built-in app that shows you your battery consumption) but I suppose you could always turn the brightness down or let it auto-adjust based on the ambient lighting.

Software

Well it's an Android device and I'll try not to start a mobile OS flame-war . I will, however, give a nod to how customizable the phone is out-of-the-box. Multiple home screens, widgets, live wallpapers - hours of fun. I'll give another nod to the Android Market. You'll probably be able to find an app for most anything you need and probably for free. The voice input is kinda cool as well. Basically, anywhere you can type, you can talk. The feature doesn't require any training and works well enough as long you stick to standard English pronunciations.

One thing to note, if you're a heavy user of Google services then this phone (the Android OS actually) is made for you. You definitely need a Gmail account. Your contacts, yes the whole phone book, is synchronized with your Gmail contacts list. Change it in Gmail, it changes on the phone and vice versa. If there's an option to copy contacts from your SIM card or what not, I haven't found it (not that I really looked). You can use multiple Google accounts too. I currently have two setup for mail but I only use one to do the contact sync. Other Google apps are nicely integrated e.g. you can see your friends' GTalk online status in the phone book and initiate a chat from there if you want. Of course, there are multi-protocol IM clients available as well.

The browser is boss. For me, this was one of the biggest improvements coming from a BB 8900 - blazing fast and accurate rendering. It's so good, I rarely pull out the laptop at home anymore for checking news or casual surfing. It's my Nexus on WiFi. The only thing you'll be missing is Flash (damn you N900!) but I hear that it's in the works. I installed the update that enables multi-touch pinch-to-zoom in the browser and maps. I personally don't get what the fuss is about, double-tap-to-zoom is still my preferred method, but at least iPhone owners can't hold it over you anymore .

I could go on and on about the software on this phone but that's what the internet is for - go check it out. Still, all is not well. I've begun to notice some lag which is strange given the beast of a CPU+RAM combination this phone has. To be fair, it's only during animations such as transitioning from an app back to the home screen. I also can't remember if it started before or after the pinch-to-zoom update. Another sore point, and a more important one I feel, is the software keyboard. It isn't the easiest thing to type on. It's not bad at all; it's just that I feel I make more mistakes than I should be. I often swear I'm hitting the right key but the damn thing registers the key beside it. The problem mostly affects the portrait keyboard and so I usually turn the phone to landscape mode when I need to type something longer than a quick message. I've read good reviews of an app called Better Keyboard which replaces the default but it's a paid app and the default keyboard isn't bad enough yet for me to want to pay for one.

Conclusion

Di phone bad nuh @#$%! Seriously, quirks aside, which seem to me like software issues (meaning they can be fixed), this phone feels like a keeper. I'm glad I bought it. I'm sure it's not for everyone but you won't be hearing any complaints from me.
    Last edited by bossmonkeyman; Feb 15, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

[QUOTE=bossmonkeyman;610891]I've had mine a couple weeks now and no regrets yet. It's not perfect (what is?) but it's pretty damn close For anyone interested, here are my initial impressions.

Great review. The lag u got is a consequence of the java vm that runs atop the linux kernel... much cant be done about it unless u put a quad core in it lol. The vm requires more power to run than say a full blown linux distro like maemo.. Good review would hav been good to add some pics though.