Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android on n900

Quote Originally Posted by p.wade.r View Post
    yeah but certain vital apps such as msn messenger is still not supported.

portrait mode activated by a code????? O_o that's just stupid, every touch screen phone being released now all come with automatic screen rotation, worst with a screen real estate such as the nokia n900 this should have been fully implemented from the start.

In regards to the Iphone and its lack of feature at it initial release, that was done on purpose by apple, If you remember the release of OS 3.0 that was apples last trump card the extent the Iphones rain of glory over the cell phone market, and ensure a couple more years of sale by adding feature that people so badly wanted such as landscape texting sms.

But there as been no great hype over the n900, partly because of the lack of support. and i bet you have to wait a good while before they open a free online app store for that device. which have become a life line for most mobile phone OS's.

i just think they basically ruined this device, with a premature OS, and 5 years is more than enough time to have released a SDK to ensure a decent amount of support for it's release date.

thumbs down still.
    Its not a phone dude, its a MID, a bit smaller than the predecessor and now with phone functionality. Not every company operates like Apple. In order to be relevant Apple must do such things, Nokia being exponentially larger than apple in general with much broader customer base (not just fashonista wannabes) has a responsibility to provide for every segment of the mobile market. The N900 MID isnt for you (way more valuable than an Iphone and way better pound for pound) I wouldn't choose an i phone over a 1661 Nokia flashlight. I would only by the N900 if I were in the market for a netbook or a MID. Totally worth it.

The other thing you must know is that Maemo is a flavor of Linux built for the MID not for cellphones/smartphones. Having a linux PC in the palm of your hands is a powerful thing, but obviously not in your hands because it doesn't have MMS and dont do portrait without a code.

LOL. Its not for u bro.

FYI

there are millions of apps for Linux. Apples Iphone, slate, macs wouldn't add up to the amount of apps for Linux. As a techie this is a dream device. Hardware wise it shiits on most smartphones. even most of nokias other offerings and esp the iphone.
    THANK GOD

yeah but certain vital apps such as msn messenger is still not supported.
    portrait mode activated by a code????? O_o that's just stupid, every touch screen phone being released now all come with automatic screen rotation, worst with a screen real estate such as the nokia n900 this should have been fully implemented from the start.
    In regards to the Iphone and its lack of feature at it initial release, that was done on purpose by apple, If you remember the release of OS 3.0 that was apples last trump card the extent the Iphones rain of glory over the cell phone market, and ensure a couple more years of sale by adding feature that people so badly wanted such as landscape texting sms.
    But there as been no great hype over the n900, partly because of the lack of support. and i bet you have to wait a good while before they open a free online app store for that device. which have become a life line for most mobile phone OS's.
    i just think they basically ruined this device, with a premature OS, and 5 years is more than enough time to have released a SDK to ensure a decent amount of support for it's release date.
    thumbs down still.
    Msn is supported by installing a simple plugin called haze. I am sure not all current features on the iphone was there from the start, full portrait will be available in a few months, when will full multitasking and flash be available on the iphone without voiding warranty? Isnt all os being released now have multitasking enabled? Android, palm os, windows mobile, symbian.. Even s90 that died in 03 had multitasking.. And what do i hear, its gonna be illegal to jailbreak?

The repos extras, extras testing and extras dev hav about 1000 FREE apps already, ovistore have almost a hundred apps for n900 and it hav been what, 2 months?

Fremantle sdk have been available from september so i dont see what you are talking about. Why defend a company by sayin they leave things out deliberately? Isnt that actually bad for us customers? Or is it because you are glad they can milk more money from you in future updates? Same like the 'netbook killer' ipad that cant multitask. The thing can run things that you cant thing of running on any other os, even with more powerful processors, that shows u how the device really is. Its browser trumphs all others, just facts.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    I guess when you can't do anything else on the brick...porting OSes is the next thing. lol. Trust me I love what Nokia did with Maemo...but this thing is not a phone lol...it's gargantuan size is such a turn off.
    more phone for my money
    I protect i serve i reassure!

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    As nokia said, its a computer
    Yeah, a wonderful marketing gimmick if you ask me...and I see it worked on some. lol
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Yeah, a wonderful marketing gimmick if you ask me...and I see it worked on some. lol
    Well it installs debian apps, u can install gcc on it just like that. Hmmm what else can a pc do? Oh full web browsing with flash support, browser supports plugins, built in xterm. With gcc installed for example i can recompile apps from debian/ubuntu desktop for the n900 on the device itself. I can install other OSs, change paging file size etc, modify the system completely.. i can attach a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (used to be able to do that via actual usb on earlier tablets). Hmmm seems like a computer to me aint it? Also remember its codes are 85% identical to desktop debian, the remaining 15% is ui differences.

U can also install full java (being worked on) python etc
    Now tell me why u think its a gimmick? ANY desktop linux app will work once it have been recompiled for the arm architecture, can you do that with mac os to iphone os? Windows to windows mobile? ANY linux distro to android? Nope because they share few similiar codes except kernel. So yes it is a computer
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

U obviously have no sense, But then again you are an apple fan so you have first hand knowledge of this.

Unfortunately thats not the case with the N900 MID. Its a fact not a gimmick. If you want you can try to dispute it with some sensible logic please.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    Msn is supported by installing a simple plugin called haze. I am sure not all current features on the iphone was there from the start, full portrait will be available in a few months, when will full multitasking and flash be available on the iphone without voiding warranty? Isnt all os being released now have multitasking enabled? Android, palm os, windows mobile, symbian.. Even s90 that died in 03 had multitasking.. And what do i hear, its gonna be illegal to jailbreak?

The repos extras, extras testing and extras dev hav about 1000 FREE apps already, ovistore have almost a hundred apps for n900 and it hav been what, 2 months?

Fremantle sdk have been available from september so i dont see what you are talking about. Why defend a company by sayin they leave things out deliberately? Isnt that actually bad for us customers? Or is it because you are glad they can milk more money from you in future updates? Same like the 'netbook killer' ipad that cant multitask. The thing can run things that you cant thing of running on any other os, even with more powerful processors, that shows u how the device really is. Its browser trumphs all others, just facts.

OK OK i am in noway defending apple and i was make statements in-regards to the condition under which the n900 OS was released not recent developments, just feel the launch of the device was a bit premature which led to its flop.

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    Its not a phone dude, its a MID, a bit smaller than the predecessor and now with phone functionality. Not every company operates like Apple. In order to be relevant Apple must do such things, Nokia being exponentially larger than apple in general with much broader customer base (not just fashonista wannabes) has a responsibility to provide for every segment of the mobile market. The N900 MID isnt for you (way more valuable than an Iphone and way better pound for pound) I wouldn't choose an i phone over a 1661 Nokia flashlight. I would only by the N900 if I were in the market for a netbook or a MID. Totally worth it.

The other thing you must know is that Maemo is a flavor of Linux built for the MID not for cellphones/smartphones. Having a linux PC in the palm of your hands is a powerful thing, but obviously not in your hands because it doesn't have MMS and dont do portrait without a code.

LOL. Its not for u bro.

FYI

there are millions of apps for Linux. Apples Iphone, slate, macs wouldn't add up to the amount of apps for Linux. As a techie this is a dream device. Hardware wise it shiits on most smartphones. even most of nokias other offerings and esp the iphone.
    oh please man, This device is being marketed as a "Phone" first and fore-most, if it was being market as a computer this device would not be anything spectacular in-comparison to whats already on the market.
    livin in a MODS world

OK OK i am in noway defending apple and i was make statements in-regards to the condition under which the n900 OS was released not recent developments, just feel the launch of the device was a bit premature which led to its flop.
    oh please man, This device is being marketed as a "Phone" first and fore-most, if it was being market as a computer this device would not be anything spectacular in-comparison to whats already on the market.
    Wat gave u the idea that it flopped??? I dont understand,
    Nokis didnt even put that much emphasis on it in marketing since they said it was step 4 out of 5. Thousands were sold, or is it because it didnt sell a million in a weekend or have american bloggers all over it? The return rate is much lower than most phones because ppl who bought it wanted it, even nokia underestimated the demand and ran out of devices, that aint flop thats a huge success in my book.. Selling more than the manufacturers were prepared for suggest that its demand exceeded the manufacturers expectation which is a huge success.
    Ok lets see now, since u arent talking about after market development lets talk about what the other platform would be like with no aftermarket development. No multitasking, no file management, no real use for the bluetooth(cant transfer files), cant change background wallpaper, no sms forwarding, no photo editing, no video recorder(iphone 3g), no gps app.. And i can go on and on. Would it be of much use without fw updates and aftermarket apps? Nope it wouldnt so yes aftermarket counts. Now tell me one thing another smartphone can do that the n900 cant do in style, except hw stuff.
    And yes its a tablet pc with a fone inside, even things like openoffice work on it with very few modification. I can put the source file of vlc on it and compile it straight away. Updates are done ota similar to windows updates. the thing does REal multitasking, as in it actually runs all apps in the baCkground, no pause state like other OSs, down to the camera app runs in the background, it does it win7 style. I dont know why you said its immature..
    Nokia never made reference to it as a fone so it wasnt marketed as one, all of the blog reviews agree that it function more as a pc than a phone.
    Last edited by kalel17; Jan 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM.

All a phone needs to do is make call (phone calls) so technically it is a phone, however the category known as "smartphones" don't include MIDs with phone functionality. The N900 is more similar to a HTC shift which also run full desktop OS but with a smaller screen so the device becomes pocket-able. The N900 is a direct upgrade of the N810 and N800, which also run full desktop OS but without the phone functionality..

Nokia market the device as a MID with phone functionality. Unless u don't regard nokia as the marketers of their own product.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    All a phone needs to do is make call (phone calls) so technically it is a phone, however the category known as "smartphones" don't include MIDs with phone functionality. The N900 is more similar to a HTC shift which also run full desktop OS but with a smaller screen so the device becomes pocket-able. The N900 is a direct upgrade of the N810 and N800, which also run full desktop OS but without the phone functionality..
    Nokia market the device as a MID with phone functionality. Unless u don't regard nokia as the marketers of their own product.
    By phone i think he meant smartphone

What they dont understand is that this runs a gnome derivitive from desktop debian oss such as debian, ubuntu, kubuntu etc. as a matter of fact its the same os as debian for desktop, it just runs on arm and not x86 and has a different ui thats all. it loads the gui etc in an x window just like the most popular linux os, the only difference is that only one is viewable at once because of screen size.
    The os would be great on a 10 inch tablet and would truly rival netbooks.. Instead of the 'most advanced device ever made by apple' 'best browsing experience you can find' and the 'more advanced than a netbook' device that cant even multitask lol and what?? Its gonna kill netbooks?? When it cant even open a notepad app and browser at once lol... Ok let me stop..
    Last edited by kalel17; Jan 28, 2010 at 01:15 PM.