Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android on n900

Default Android on n900

Some guy ported android to his n900 by dual booting from the memory card, quite nice http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/23/a...of-two-trades/
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Cool, Goes to show how hackable they made it. Anything that runs desktop Linux has to be hackable.

Android today, Win7 tomorrow. OSX even (Darwin of course).
    THANK GOD

wondering if this is a good or bad for Nokia? gud 4 me tho ^.^ not bad

Quote Originally Posted by shaunjunior1 View Post
    wondering if this is a good or bad for Nokia? gud 4 me tho ^.^ not bad
    I dont think so since its dual boot, you can choose between them at startup. I dont really see much sense for this, maemo is superior it would have been better to just port the android app engine to allow android apps to run on the n900.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    it would have been better to just port the android app engine to allow android apps to run on the n900.
    Saw the video, thought its was amazing but that was of course an impulse reaction. Now that you say that, I TOTALLY agree with you. That would be a better solution but its a start, no? Look at it this way (though silly non the less), you get tired of Maemo (dont see how that can happen if your into programming) you simply reboot the device and give Android a try. Also, it save you the trouble of having to purchase another device, if you want to experience android that is.
    "Being Trapped In The Cage Of The Human Mind Is The Worst Sin We Can Commit To Ourselves"
    Twitter | Blog (Work in progress)

I guess when you can't do anything else on the brick...porting OSes is the next thing. lol. Trust me I love what Nokia did with Maemo...but this thing is not a phone lol...it's gargantuan size is such a turn off.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by Technoboy View Post
    I guess when you can't do anything else on the brick...porting OSes is the next thing. lol. Trust me I love what Nokia did with Maemo...but this thing is not a phone lol...it's gargantuan size is such a turn off.
    As nokia said, its a computer

think this is good, because the phone with its original OS has no support wat-so-ever, don't even know why nokia launched the product with the OS in such an early stage, they always manage to screw up a very good product some-way some-how....but i really rate the OS and it flexibility....the Only reason i prefer android over it, is the variety of apps available for it...other than that the Original OS is far superior.
    livin in a MODS world

Quote Originally Posted by p.wade.r View Post
    think this is good, because the phone with its original OS has no support wat-so-ever, don't even know why nokia launched the product with the OS in such an early stage, they always manage to screw up a very good product some-way some-how....but i really rate the OS and it flexibility....the Only reason i prefer android over it, is the variety of apps available for it...other than that the Original OS is far superior.
    Actually the os have been around for almost 5 years now, its just that it was migrated to more a smartphone device than original tablets. I dont really see much 'immaturity' at this point.. Yes ppl seh lack of mms, portrait blah blah but its really 98% complete. When apple released a product that couldnt multitask or even install apps ppl were over it, even now it cripple still.

Portrait and mms is available now still although not fully implemented, an mms app is there and portrait can be activated with a code.

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    Actually the os have been around for almost 5 years now, its just that it was migrated to more a smartphone device than original tablets. I dont really see much 'immaturity' at this point.. Yes ppl seh lack of mms, portrait blah blah but its really 98% complete. When apple released a product that couldn't multitask or even install apps ppl were over it, even now it cripple still.

Portrait and mms is available now still although not fully implemented, an mms app is there and portrait can be activated with a code.
    yeah but certain vital apps such as msn messenger is still not supported.

portrait mode activated by a code????? O_o that's just stupid, every touch screen phone being released now all come with automatic screen rotation, worst with a screen real estate such as the nokia n900 this should have been fully implemented from the start.

In regards to the Iphone and its lack of feature at it initial release, that was done on purpose by apple, If you remember the release of OS 3.0 that was apples last trump card the extent the Iphones rain of glory over the cell phone market, and ensure a couple more years of sale by adding feature that people so badly wanted such as landscape texting sms.

But there as been no great hype over the n900, partly because of the lack of support. and i bet you have to wait a good while before they open a free online app store for that device. which have become a life line for most mobile phone OS's.

i just think they basically ruined this device, with a premature OS, and 5 years is more than enough time to have released a SDK to ensure a decent amount of support for it's release date.

thumbs down still.
    Last edited by p.wade.r; Jan 27, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    livin in a MODS world