Thread: Repairing XP

Default Repairing XP

I have a serious problem I turned on my laptop last night and this came up:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
    Safe mode with networking.
    Safe mode with command prompt.
    Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
    Start Windows normally.

the thing is even when I select an option windows will not load my desktop is still not loading. I don't really want to run a install repair cause I don't have some of the drivers for my machine. So peeps some help please.

Yung_Jah Guest

Nothing to worry about. What kind of laptop is it?

If its a Dell...you can go to www.dell.com, or hp at www.hp.com or acer (google acer europe and download the drivers for your laptop once you search for the right model.

Even if you go as far as getting the ethernet driver....you can use a software (such as Driver Genius or Driver Scanner) to download the drivers for your laptop...and then you can install them.

If you are not too sure what is what....just state the laptop model and someone can find the direct link for your drivers.

first n foremost just to be completely sure....you have tried the last config that worked option right.

if you have then the second option is to try n boot in safe mode....

if that doesnt try booting via the windows cd...go into safe mode....and go to system restore option...try for a date before you had the problem......

if you are unable to access safe mode....reboot ensure bios set to boot from the windows cd....go to repair option....its not a complete or new install..u wont lose anything...promise....second.....navigate to cmd line...use chkdsk -r option to repair......there are other options....such as fix boot....if there any issues with the boot files....but lets try one thing at a time.....

if this doesnt work post another entry....
    Knowledge is just wasted time if not put to action
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Network +, A+, CCNA, CCDA, CXFS, Avaya (ACIS), MCP ...next stop CCNP,MCSE, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, VCP

I am not really new to pc repairs is just that I have never seen this happened before. I had already tried chkdsk /r before my first post and it said checking and recovering. As for the safe mode option mentioned when safe mode loads I just see safe mode at the 4 screen corner and sp2 details at the top of the screen but no form of GUI i.e. no start menu nothing.

I have sourced a Hiren's Boot CD 10.0 and loaded the mini xp from it "kinda a bootable safe mode" so now I can see a desktop but with very very limited capabilities....so now I want to now do I use an xp cd to repair and upgrade sp2 to sp3, since I suspect the something is wrong with the sp2 system32 files.

my laptop model is a Dell Precision M6300..449-1917 if you need to contact me since I don't have a my pc to be online.

I can't exactly remember the steps, but you can sometimes get to repair your installation by choosing the Install option, you may get to repair the existing install after that.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

Yung_Jah Guest

I have seen this problem before....booting in Safe mode...and not seeing any icons....just a blank screen with safe mode on each corner....

Realize that something went wrong while trying to install Antivirus or other software after I did a repair of the previous windows installed...

This is a problem I am having currently with a customer desktop.

So it seems like it is linking me into Formatting. Cho.....

I think the registry is probably corrupt, or more likely explorer.exe went MIA somehow. If you got that far in Safe Mode, then the core drivers are OK, but explorer didn't load. If you know what you're doing, you can use Ultimate Boot CD's Live XP to check out the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" and ensure the value "shell" is set to "explorer.exe". EzPCFix (on UBCD4Win) can be used to view the registry value (not sure about it able to change it though).
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Yung_Jah based on further reading and analysis..I am advising you not to re-program the your clients machine yet. I suspect the we both need to just reinstall the video card drivers.