Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows XP

Default Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows XP

I had this working fine before, with the dual boot screen asking me if I wanted to load Earlier Versions of Windows or Windows 7. The Earlier Version of Windows is Windows XP, but I decided to reinstall Windows XP and wehn it was completed it kept booting in XP only without giving me the dual boot option. So I recovered Windows 7 with it's disk and then it was only booting to Win7 without the dual boot option.

So I tried EasyBCD and it showed me that I only had one entry of Windows 7 Professional (recovered). So I entered XP in the entry and chose the partition it's on and did a reboot. The dual boot came up aright, but when I choose to boot in XP it keeps loading the Windows 7 recovery console.

Anyone have tips on how to resolve this issue, as I can't bother reinstalling Windows 7 right now.
    Current Android - OnePlus 7T Pro
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

When yu boot Windows 7, yu could have nav. to advanced settings tab in advanced system settings in Computer properties and choose XP as default OS before yu use EasyBCD and see wat happens.....
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

Quote Originally Posted by Anthon View Post
    When yu boot Windows 7, yu could have nav. to advanced settings tab in advanced system settings in Computer properties and choose XP as default OS before yu use EasyBCD and see wat happens.....
    Well I did that and it's pretty much the same thing. Only difference is that Windows XP Professional is selected by default.
    PC Specs - Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS | Processor: Intel Core i5-11600K (stock) | Memory: 32 gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200mhz | Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4070 (OC Edition) | Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor | Steam ID -> Powpow

O well guess I'll just reinstall Windows 7 and see what happens then.

It's always recommended to install the 'older' OS first...

If you need help pm me.

You dont have to reinstall the OS. What happened XP modified the bootloader. What you can do is start Windows 7 in recovery mode (using the DVD), and select the option to repair the boot /startup.
    Be what's next!

Quote Originally Posted by zandex View Post
    You dont have to reinstall the OS. What happened XP modified the bootloader. What you can do is start Windows 7 in recovery mode (using the DVD), and select the option to repair the boot /startup.
    He can still use EasyBCD which is a little less complicated...that's what I use all the time.

u can chnge setting as to which os to strt up .......go to msconfig.....and select xp as ur first boot os

just curious in this day of virtualisation ... why would u wanna dual boot ...
    Viruses are not always user-unfriendly

Quote Originally Posted by zandex View Post
    I did that, but then it only booted to Windows 7 and when I chose the other OS it keeps bringing up the Win7 recovery console.

Quote Originally Posted by PcWiz View Post
    He can still use EasyBCD which is a little less complicated...that's what I use all the time.
    Yeah it is. I had to reinstall Windows 7 to get the dual boot to work again, but then I had 3 boot options. Wasn't sure how to delete it with Windows 7, so EasyBCD did the job for me with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by tredoggg View Post
    just curious in this day of virtualisation ... why would u wanna dual boot ...
    Yuh know I was gonna do that, but never tried dual booting before so I just chose this method for now.