Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new to linux

Default Re: new to linux

Jam Rock, ppl really don't know what they want in a distro until they start to use it. They just use one until they're comfortable with it, esp a noob. It's like the distro finds u not u finding the distro.
    I would encourage everyone to experiment with different distros. Each one has advantages.

If you need a nice GUI, there are some that are made with that in mind.

If you want to run Windows apps, some are designed specifically as a replacement for Windows.

If you want to run a wide assortment of server apps, some have widespread support from the manufacturers.

If you want an easy approach to updates, some have that feature.

Experiment and find one that suits you.

Linux is about choice.

I can do a lot of stuff with Linux.

I have set up mail servers, Windows domain controllers, instant messaging servers, directory servers, proxy servers, firewalls, dial out servers, DNS, DHCP, SSL, etc. on Linux.

Many of the people trying to force everyone to use their distro can't do half of that. There is more to Linux than the operating system.

Until you can do with Linux, what the average admin can do with Windows, what is the point?

By the way, all of this was done on those crappy distros, Red Hat and White Box. Do the same on Suse, then we can talk.
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 31, 2005 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonflight
    There is no question that SUSE is generally a better choice and is as well supported as Red Hat. But what if you client has already made the choice of RedHat. RedHat isn't that bad. Look on the bright side... it could be some legacy OS like (uhm Windows 2003) .

RobyG,
    SUSE and Debian stick closer to standards, such as the File System Heirarchy, than RedHat.
    I am going to have to put you on the spot here Birdman...Please give examples as reference for your statement concerning FHS consistency and Redhat as opposed to say Suse...

You don't get it yet Jamrock ?

You have said before you don't care whats underneath.... I do.

This is the same thing that MS users do... they don't care whats under the box while nut cases like me do. People plug stuff togther and say IT WORKS THATS IT !

I am an electrician... and by default that discipline spills over into my computing. I must know how it works and it must be standard or I could DIE.

If some guy wires an isntallation wrong and I come into contact with it... because he breaks standards I could get electrocuted... it has happened before... just because the customer does not see it or cares about it does not mean it is right. As long as it works for the customer thats not enough !! as a professional for me their is more.

If I break standards as an electrician I could have my license (sp) revoked !

Thus the problem is, returning to the computer talk, at the end of the day they are no better off than if they installed Windows because Windows does the same thing.

Your the one that says you like standards... but if you only new half of the dirty evil crap thats in the belly of the redhat beast you would understand why I don't like it one bit.

the do stuff just to make things work and it screw up people like me who like to work under the belly.

This is the factor... the key one.

REDHATE BREAKS STANDARDS

linux standards Like the all important LFS

You have to learn the readhat way of doing things as opposed to the LINUX way.. and this is why I dispise them.

I will push ANY distro aside from RH. I don't care what... I would even push slackware... but until RH stops being COCKY and PRETENTIOUS and re-groups to obeying the standards set by the Linux GRASS ROOTS people until it stops scoffing at the very core of programmers that make the fundamental elements of its programs....

I will revile them as the Microsoft of Linux.

everytime I install mozilla on and RH system the files are installed in /usr instead of /opt ! why ?
    Last edited by Gillion; Jan 31, 2005 at 05:07 PM.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guru
    I am going to have to put you on the spot here Birdman...Please give examples as reference for your statement concerning FHS consistency and Redhat as opposed to say Suse...

All major pacages such as openoffice, mozilla, kde and gnome must be installed in
    /opt

all major rc files that run the system must be installed in init.d and symlinked to the rc.0 - rc.6 files respectively

on RH

init.d is INSIDE the rc.d directory rather than outside !

on RH

KDE GNOME MOZILLA OPENOFFICE executables are kludged together inside /usr/X11R6/bin like some bastard beast

gnome and KDE binaries are mixed in /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib

grub boot files are not kept in /boot/grub

its in some obscure folder

they have no pgp encryption keys inside their rpm packages that authenticate the package as an official redhat one

You need to remember that for people like me, the applications and services running on the Linux box are most important.

We need DNS, DHCP, mail, instant messaging, file services, internet access, etc.

The inner workings as less important to people like me. We need servers that run reliably day after day. When things stop working, our users start shouting. We like Linux because it is reliable, stable and fast.

Linux is flexible enough to accommodate both our needs. Are you?

Please choose the distro that suits your needs. I will choose the one that suits my needs. I will not dictate to you. Please don't dictate to me.

I use White Box and Red Hat and I am happy. Please be happy with Suse, Gentoo, Mandrake, Ubuntu, or whatever.

Linux is about choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    All major pacages such as openoffice, mozilla, kde and gnome must be installed in
    /opt

all major rc files that run the system must be installed in init.d and symlinked to the rc.0 - rc.6 files respectively

on RH

init.d is INSIDE the rc.d directory rather than outside !

on RH

KDE GNOME MOZILLA OPENOFFICE executables are kludged together inside /usr/X11R6/bin like some bastard beast

gnome and KDE binaries are mixed in /usr/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib

its in some obscure folder

they have no pgp encryption keys inside their rpm packages that authenticate the package as an official redhat one
    Ok what Redhat version are we talking about here....And Which version of the FHS will be used as reference....
    Also what just for comparison purposes lets choose another linux distro to compare and contrast with....

The proprietary pretentious value add makes the old grumpy linux user like me mad. Its not their success... its not their makeing Linux easy to use, its the damn violation i feel.

Do not forget Linux is about community Jamrock... not just product as people like you seem to harp on. Its about people. Redhat is all about rehat. When they QUIT making the desktop distro they had the nerve to throw out a ragged bone called Fedorah and are using ordinary people to BUILD REDHAT PRODUCTS not Linux. REDHAT !!

Fedorah is bug testing for Redhat... when the buges get fixed... they merge it into RHAS or RHD and thats it !!

Then they have the nerve to talk about community !

Real comunnity means keeping the damn desktop distro out and using fedorah to stablize it so that people can use the desktop version and benefit without feeling like a cheap whoxre

The have broken the trust of the community on COUNTLESS OCCASSIONS

RH didn't support GNOME just for opensource... the supported GNOME because KDE was a european based project that depended on QT which was also european. Rather than work with KDE and QT to get the GPL/QPL liscenes out... the pushed the unfinished crappy GNOME untio people and at that time in history GNOME WAS UTTER GARBAGE while KDE was way a head at version 1.0

A bussiness yes... thats first ... but do not tread on the small coders that gave you the bulk of your empire. But if your going to be a bastard child... at leat put some real money where your mouth is... SUSE opened up YAST the key component to what makes SuSE a good distro. What has RH give the community besides fedorah ? YUM ? is YUM as good as YAST ? no !

The good stuff is inside their expensive products !! ordinary that people can't.

Betral is their forte and I have seen it happen from 1997 to now.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    You need to remember that for people like me, the applications and services running on the Linux box are most important.

We need DNS, DHCP, mail, instant messaging, file services, internet access, etc.

The inner workings as less important to people like me. We need servers that run reliably day after day. When things stop working, our users start shouting. We like Linux because it is reliable, stable and fast.

Linux is flexible enough to accommodate both our needs. Are you?

Please choose the distro that suits your needs. I will choose the one that suits my needs. I will not dictate to you. Please don't dictate to me.

I use White Box and Red Hat and I am happy. Please be happy with Suse, Gentoo, Mandrake, Ubuntu, or whatever.

Linux is about choice.
    That is my problem.

It is the same reason MS got away with a shoddy design for early Windows products that had bad security and tried to get rid of the CLI.

Now they are playing catch up with security (doing well so far ) but the same reason

The users don't care ! mentality is my problem.

Those in the know should know and know well.

Gillion,

Calm down. Mind your blood pressure.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that we think differently from you?

Why is your way the only true way?

Is there no redemption for those of us who think differently from you?

Must we all agree with your way of thinking?

My interests and goals are different from yours. Is that a sin?

Many of us are network administrators. That is what we do. We do not care if
    Linux runs our applications well. Our White Box and Red Hat servers run well, day in and day out. Our users are happy and our customers are happy.

Is there no room in the Linux community for us infidels? Is there none we can call a friend?

There are so many of us who use Red Hat based distros. Some of us run large Oracle databases and popular websites.

I hope one day you will find it in your hear to accept us.

Peace.