Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new to linux

Default Re: new to linux

*grumble grumble grumbel ! *
    You need to remember that for people like me, the applications and services running on the Linux box are most important.

We need DNS, DHCP, mail, instant messaging, file services, internet access, etc.

The inner workings as less important to people like me. We need servers that run reliably day after day. When things stop working, our users start shouting. We like Linux because it is reliable, stable and fast.

Linux is flexible enough to accommodate both our needs. Are you?

just go to BSD. no gui. straight command line!

just go to BSD. no gui. straight command line!
    That won't work for everyone. Some people prefer to use a GUI for some things.

very flexible... just don't bend the side of redhat.... thats my limit.

I will recommend SuSE any day to any prospective clientell and not god forsaken RH
    Last edited by Gillion; Jan 31, 2005 at 03:38 PM.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

from my very limited knowledge, i see that suse is the best overall professional solution. whether running it as a server, or office machine, and even home machine. once i get tired of mandrake i plan to switch over

from my very limited knowledge, i see that suse is the best overall professional solution. whether running it as a server, or office machine, and even home machine. once i get tired of mandrake i plan to switch over
    I will recommend SuSE any day to any prospective clientell and not god forsaken RH
    Here we go again. I really don't get involved in the "my distro is better than your distro" discussions. I have seen too many on the various forums. Why do you feel the need to impose your choice on other people?

Please choose the distro that suits your needs. I will choose the one that suits my needs. I will not dictate to you. Please don't dictate to me.

I use White Box and Red Hat and I am happy. Please be happy with Suse, Gentoo, Mandrake, Ubuntu, or whatever.

Linux is about choice.

I have visited quite a number of Linux forums. In each, there is always a group who is determined that everyone should use their distro and no other. What is it about Linux that attracts this kind of sentiment?
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 31, 2005 at 04:02 PM.

From my experience RPM based distros are a good starting point. Mandrake/RedHat - just use Red Carpet for updates.

Jam Rock, ppl really don't know what they want in a distro until they start to use it. They just use one until they're comfortable with it, esp a noob. It's like the distro finds u not u finding the distro.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock

Please choose the distro that suits your needs. I will choose the one that suits my needs. I will not dictate to you. Please don't dictate to me.

Linux is about choice.
    HEAR! HEAR!
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by digerati
    Jam Rock, ppl really don't know what they want in a distro until they start to use it. They just use one until they're comfortable with it, esp a noob. It's like the distro finds u not u finding the distro.
    Yes, thats true. But I think the point Jamrock is making is that we should not go about telling people what is good and waht is no good, becasue our preferences and expectations may not hold in their case. So let the person try what they want, then they can choose.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

There is no question that SUSE is generally a better choice and is as well supported as Red Hat. But what if you client has already made the choice of RedHat. RedHat isn't that bad. Look on the bright side... it could be some legacy OS like (uhm Windows 2003) .

RobyG,
    SUSE and Debian stick closer to standards, such as the File System Heirarchy, than RedHat.
    Last edited by pigeonflight; Jan 31, 2005 at 04:46 PM.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org