Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials Ranks as Best-Performing Free Antivirus

jomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Read more:http://lifehacker.com/5433229/micros...free-antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials website: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Yow, MSE getting some big props and high praises since it came out. You people saying MS has gotten Windows 7 and MSE right? Is the world coming to an end? Hell freezing over?

For those of us who use free anti-virus, maybe you can give this softy a try. Who knows, you might make the switch.
    lol!!!!!!!!1 i just deleted this from my gf new sony vaio laptop!!!!

fire21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Microsoft's history re: security has not been good. I don't think I can trust them in that area.
    I bet to second this. I don't trust MS when it comes to security. After March of of 2010 straight Linux

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post
    I am running it on Win 7 Professional. It is currently using 1 meg of RAM. been watching it for the past 2 hours or so, memory usage never changes.
    Impossible. LOL, do some thinking man. whatever figure you are looking at isn't the amount of RAM that that program uses. The engine alone will be more than 10megs.

It throttled down to about 50 megs like any decent AV would after a while.

my problem was the freezing up when connecting wirelesly from my laptop on which i was testing it.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by fire21 View Post
    I bet to second this. I don't trust MS when it comes to security. After March of of 2010 straight Linux
    Why not make the switch from now?

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    Impossible. LOL, do some thinking man. whatever figure you are looking at isn't the amount of RAM that that program uses. The engine alone will be more than 10megs.
    Why would the displayed amount be incorrect? I think the amount of ram that is used sometimes is dependent upon your system specs.

On my system when avira is maximized, it uses 8mb. When minimized is uses 1.3 - 1.6mb.
    Last edited by Ropy; Dec 31, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

fire21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy View Post
    Why not make the switch from now?.
    Because I have TP coming up n I might need the use of MS Powerpoint which don't work well with Linux. But my main reason is that I can't get digicel modem to work with ubuntu and its my main internet source.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy View Post
    Why not make the switch from now?

Why would the displayed amount be incorrect? I think the amount of ram that is used sometimes is dependent upon your system specs.

On my system when avira is maximized, it uses 8mb. When minimized is uses 1.3 - 1.6mb.
    WSE is a firewall (i think) + AV +AS/AM app, it could not be that small unless another 50+ megs are lying around in V -memory. basically any app can display a small memory footprint in RAM but once its active (loaded back into RAM) it can never be that small. I did say that the figures that I saw were a combination of Ram and V-memory.

In W7 this is how you assertain how much memory a program uses,

open task manager -> go to the Process tab, click on "show processes from all users -> Click on View in the main menu, then select columns. -> select the views that interest you.

You will notice they all have varying figures. Once you undertand what they mean, you can recognize how much memory your app uses and you can follow the changes when you open up the GUI for the selected app.

WSE was easy to spot because it was one process and not segmented like say AVG. If one were to look at AVG you would believe it uses 2MB of RAM which it doesnt. All of AGVs components take up over 50+ MB of memory, when loaded up into RAM to scan say a removable drive, you notice the RAM figures all go to near peak figures.

Again that wasn't the issue. freezing up my system was my reason for removing it.
    THANK GOD

Running this now, not bad, very very light, installed super fast
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I just downloaded it on a clients Inspiron 8600 Laptop so lets see how it works
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

trust me, i see virii passing Avira, but the same virii never pass it. this thing good man. microsoft got this right!!! i've been using it for weeks!!
    Back to square one....., back off the ground now........

I tried it when it was first released and it was awesome! Had to reinstall my OS bcuz of other reasons and so I ddnt bother to reinstall MSE. However 2 days ago I decided to reinstall it along with Zone Alarm Firewall...Installed MSE first and then ZAF, after restarting the computer the system would hang, either at the logon screen or desktop BUT would work perfectly in safe mode and two other OS on the machine so right there and then I ruled out hardware issue....After several hours (no sleep that night) around 12pm the next day I decided to find out what service MSE was using and disabled it, Immediately my system sprang into action like once b4 =D

After reading this post I'm goin to give it one more try WITHOUT Zone Alarm this time to see what's really the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PcWiz View Post
    I tried it when it was first released and it was awesome! Had to reinstall my OS bcuz of other reasons and so I ddnt bother to reinstall MSE. However 2 days ago I decided to reinstall it along with Zone Alarm Firewall...Installed MSE first and then ZAF, after restarting the computer the system would hang, either at the logon screen or desktop BUT would work perfectly in safe mode and two other OS on the machine so right there and then I ruled out hardware issue....After several hours (no sleep that night) around 12pm the next day I decided to find out what service MSE was using and disabled it, Immediately my system sprang into action like once b4 =D

After reading this post I'm goin to give it one more try WITHOUT Zone Alarm this time to see what's really the problem.

Well guess what, just restarted my computer and everything is running smoothly. I miss having a firewall though, any recommendations?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jan 27, 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts