Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PHP Frameworks.

ajax ajax ajax....to much ajax, especially if badly implemented, it will kill your web servers and DB once the load gets up there.

I have always liked the combination of PHP and jQuery. jQuery is lightweight and doesnt add a lot of overhead.

I prefer to only use ajax where it is needed and I definitely dont go crazy with a bunch of ajax driven widgets, they just add more points of failure and can slow down the page load.

You should design with speed and performance in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    It's a specification in the requirements. And yes, most of the ajax functionality will be added after the basic functionality is implemented. The cms is specification to manage the content and users. The site will work regardless of whether javascript in enabled/supported in the browser so using ajax will not be an issue. The ajax implementation will be just to enhance user experience and presentation.
    I'm just checking. Too many times I see people blindly creating "Ajax Applications" that don't degrade well or have some kind unecessary/alien control mechanisim. For example; table rows that have onclick features to select a record, instead of using links or checkboxs.

Anyway back to the discussion. Instead of using a framework you could build on a CMS such as Joomla, Wordpress or Drupal, depending on if you are willing to learn those platforms and how to make custom plugins for them.

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post
    ajax ajax ajax....to much ajax, especially if badly implemented, it will kill your web servers and DB once the load gets up there.

I have always liked the combination of PHP and jQuery. jQuery is lightweight and doesnt add a lot of overhead.

I prefer to only use ajax where it is needed and I definitely dont go crazy with a bunch of ajax driven widgets, they just add more points of failure and can slow down the page load.

You should design with speed and performance in mind.
    I agree. I only use ajax as needed to enhance the user experience.
    "...men are that they might have joy."
    Nephi

actually no. i was forced to learn it at a former work place and fell in love with it. from my experience though, its not slow with the inclusion of zend framework and the ajax. test it and let me know what you think

Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    Do you php programmers use open source framworks to help with your web app development? If so which, and what do you think are the advantages when compared to others.
    I'd recomend you check out Code Igniter, its awesome and very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by v1rax View Post
    I'd recomend you check out Code Igniter, its awesome and very fast.

Thank you but no thank you
    codeigniter is a no no

How about Yii?

I've been looking into it recently and it seems to have a lot of promise.

http://www.yiiframework.com/features/

Its been compared favourably against CodeIgniter, CakePHP etc.

Oops.. thats the one you took

Well in that case how do YOU find it so far? Why did you choose it over the others out there?
    Last edited by CyVan; Jan 3, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyVan View Post
    How about Yii?

I've been looking into it recently and it seems to have a lot of promise.

http://www.yiiframework.com/features/

Its been compared favourably against CodeIgniter, CakePHP etc.

Oops.. thats the one you took

Well in that case how do YOU find it so far? Why did you choose it over the others out there?
    Yii is great man. All the frameworks I've evaluated impose some kind of convention on you. That is their way of encouraging consistency and a lot of them end up getting in the way of you achieving what you want to do. That is they let application specific code creep into their code base which you will inevitably end up having to modify if you plan to user the framework in multiple varying projects (which is the point of using a framework[having a consistent code base that you can use in multiple projects]). Yii is designed to be extensible. You do not need to modify the framework files to match your project's needs if it does not fit out of the box. You just extend and override whatever functionality you need to change. It comes with tools that most other frameworks offer but implement them in a tightly coupled way. Yii makes use of php5 native features like autoloading... in the core unlike some other frameworks I've tested (codeigniter for example). It loads what it needs to run when necessary and nothing else.

Yii does not impose certain naming conventions on you like other frameworks.

e.g in some frameworks, you might want to create a model class, you would have to name it something like Model_ClassName. I think that is ugly and is just not me. With yii, i name my classes whatever i want.

It encourages re-usability of code like any good implementation of oo should.

The out of the box features are well put together e.g theming, authentication & authorization (RBAC), internationalization, active record, widgets, asset management, migrations, and more. It really speeds up development when you get the hang of it.

If you are not exactly new to oop & php, then you will feel right at home with Yii.

Also the community is quite helpful.

Yii is not the only framework I use though. I've also adapted Zend framework for 2 previous projects and I'm currently playing with Symfony2 dev version, but if I have a project that I need to get done and quick, I default to Yii. Not that the other frameworks I mentioned are not reliable. I know for sure that zend is and Symfony2 is looking good even though it's not production ready yet, but of the php toolset, yii is what I can always depend on to make the job easier.

Great info Jay. I was getting a similiar feel from it when I was doing research. I'll definately be passing it on to the dev guys to look at since what u mentioned is exactly the feature set we were looking for.

the Zend Framework is one of the most popular, but appears to be a royal pain in ***.
    On the other hand CodeIgnitor provides a decent base, but is not a restrictive or intrusive as other main stream FW like Cake and ZF.

Yii looks nice from what I've just looked at, but I'm not sure whats it's like working with it...and thats the biggest problem. The people who use 1 particular framework get fairly good at it, hence the advocate that its the best...but let you try to pick it up..it's like purposefully sticking nails into your eyeballs.

Finally I would say that I typically don't established frameworks and started to work on some custom stuff earlier this year. Developing a custom solution is good in a sense because you are in control of the code base, granted you can get overwhelmed and carried away. A down side of doing on ur own is reinventing the wheel unless u can find bits and pieces of code that you can 'hack' together...and note that I said hack.

Not sure what bad experience jayrules had with CI but its worth a try, yii looks promising as I said b4 so keep it in mind...stay clear of ZF unless you like filing your own teeth with a buzz saw.