Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PHP Frameworks.

Quote Originally Posted by codecarnage View Post
    the Zend Framework is one of the most popular, but appears to be a royal pain in ***.
    On the other hand CodeIgnitor provides a decent base, but is not a restrictive or intrusive as other main stream FW like Cake and ZF.

Yii looks nice from what I've just looked at, but I'm not sure whats it's like working with it...and thats the biggest problem. The people who use 1 particular framework get fairly good at it, hence the advocate that its the best...but let you try to pick it up..it's like purposefully sticking nails into your eyeballs.

Finally I would say that I typically don't established frameworks and started to work on some custom stuff earlier this year. Developing a custom solution is good in a sense because you are in control of the code base, granted you can get overwhelmed and carried away. A down side of doing on ur own is reinventing the wheel unless u can find bits and pieces of code that you can 'hack' together...and note that I said hack.

Not sure what bad experience jayrules had with CI but its worth a try, yii looks promising as I said b4 so keep it in mind...stay clear of ZF unless you like filing your own teeth with a buzz saw.
    Well Jay echoed some other criticisms I'd heard of CI and since he just picked up Yii himself he also echoed the good things I'd heard about Yii. At the very least with its less restrictive conventions it might be a good starting point to one's own framework esp since its pure OO so it'd be easier to extend it to do your own stuff than one based on PHP 4

sorry about the delay. from the application i did with zend, it was responding at a fairly fast speed. p4a on the other hand is fast. from the applications that i have created with it, i would say that it responds pretty quick with the data and changing of screens.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_b View Post
    sorry about the delay. from the application i did with zend, it was responding at a fairly fast speed. p4a on the other hand is fast. from the applications that i have created with it, i would say that it responds pretty quick with the data and changing of screens.
    How big was the application? many tables& records are you working with? how many queries per request etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    How big was the application? many tables& records are you working with? how many queries per request etc...?
    Thats exactly what I was going to ask. While I'm not to discredit the effort put into those applications, I've met alot of programmers who claim to have developed large application only for them to make reference to a 'school' project...not saying that is the case.

how many concurrent users do the apps have? What is the system architecture? what are the sub-systems if any? Is it an enterprise solution? What's the line count?

I primarily use CodeIgniter for a PHP framework - easily extensible, low footprint, easy to understand. However, you all should take a look at Fuel. It is still in development but is going to be very snappy - takes a lot from Kohana and other frameworks and improves upon them.