Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PHP Frameworks.

Default PHP Frameworks.

Do you php programmers use open source framworks to help with your web app development? If so which, and what do you think are the advantages when compared to others.

I have messed around with the Zend Framework. It is not the fasted out there, but there is a pretty large community behind it. It seems to be geared towards the enterprise. Zend is also well documented and I think the biggest selling point is that it isbuilt by Zend.

Take a look at http://www.phpframeworks.com/ make help a little.

I often times end up making a custom framework depending on the application. Often time you need to streamline your workflow in a certain way to be the most productive. And this streamlined way may not be the same in all occasions. That being said I find that I mostly reuse things that manage forms and database layers. MVC frameworks annoying me becuase the enforce a rigid workflow which isn't always the best. You might need to jump between them and find out which one is appropriate in which situation.
    Last edited by owen; Dec 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

in my development, i have used p4a which i think is fast and good. i have used it on several back end applications. its not designed for web sites per say, but for web applications. its also pretty easy to learn. the structure of it, in terms of coding, is somewhat similar to java.

I think the use of a framework depends of the project. Although I tend to write my own, some projects dont require as much love. Also if you are trying to just not code a specific function, there might be pear libraries available that you can use.

I think a bigger decision is whether to use a HTML template library. Those can really affect the performance of the website if the wrong one is chosen or implemented incorrectly.

You can check out this new one its called Raxan, its bound to success so get on it early

http://raxanpdi.com/

Thanks for your replies. So far I've checked out Yii (http://yiiframework.com) and i think i will go with that 1. I'm unzipping p4a as I'm typing now to have a look at it. Most frameworks I've come across have their own template libraries implemented with caching mechanism so i won't go out of my way to implement another.

@jay_b do you have any benchmarks for p4a? It's based on zend but zend is pretty slow, so i'd like to know how the speed compares.

The website requires a ajax driven frontend and cms.

There is not a single website that "requires" a ajax driven frontend and cms. websites are "required" to accomplish the primary objectives of the users. Ajax is optional and often times is more trouble than benefit. There are certain advantages gained but these usually can be added after the core functionality is implemented and working.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    There is not a single website that "requires" a ajax driven frontend and cms. websites are "required" to accomplish the primary objectives of the users. Ajax is optional and often times is more trouble than benefit. There are certain advantages gained but these usually can be added after the core functionality is implemented and working.
    It's a specification in the requirements. And yes, most of the ajax functionality will be added after the basic functionality is implemented. The cms is specification to manage the content and users. The site will work regardless of whether javascript in enabled/supported in the browser so using ajax will not be an issue. The ajax implementation will be just to enhance user experience and presentation.

Being an Adobe out of the box guy, I use Adobe products. For back end I use Adobe Developer Toolkit and for front end I use Spry which is Adobe's implementation for ajax. This framework is very easy to learn and is very easy to use with datasets. This comes with many cool widgets and well documented.

Links: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/
    "...men are that they might have joy."
    Nephi