Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned About Privacy? You're Probably up to no Good, Says Google CEO

Default Concerned About Privacy? You're Probably up to no Good, Says Google CEO

Remarks anger many who are concerned with Google's ever expanding influence

Google is stockpiling a wealth of user data. With its search engine, its advertising services, its applications, its new free DNS service, and more, the company has an incredible perspective on exactly what users are looking at. Many fear that Google could abuse this information or allow it to be abused, either for profit or to prosecute citizens who aren't necessarily guilty. In short, fears that "Big Brother is watching you" have been replace with fears that "Google is watching you".

LINK

Boy mi a tell yu.
    THANK GOD

As far as I am concerned, someone is always watching. If what you are doing is that important or "sensitive" encrypt your data. At lest Google doesn't hide what they are doing unlike everyone else.

Have you thought about how much monitoring your ISP is doing? ISPs have been caught sniffing home networks in the past...

Chris

Yung_Jah Guest

They can sniff all they want...in the long run I will win the case...dem nuh fi faaass inna mi business...I NEED PRIVACY PLEASE.

I dont read privacy agreements or those things wen u signing up to use these services...so just maybe i goin lose that case
    Black by popular demand
    Ω
    Asus G73JH 17.3" - Core i7 740QM|6GB DDR3 1333| ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB| 640GB HDD

The more troublesome comment is Mr. Schmidt's indictment of those who wish privacy. One must also consider Mr. Schmidt's own demands for personal privacy. Mr. Schmidt banned CNET, one of the top tech news sites on the web, from Google for an entire year for publishing information about the CEO, including his salary; his neighborhood, some of his hobbies and political donations. Where did CNET find this info? From none other than Google itself.
    I smell a hypocrite. I guess privacy is just an illusion these days. Woe is us
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

Well the government has used the 9/11 excuse to strip away all forms of privacy by waving the national security flag. However, i believe it is much more about control than national security.

Privacy has always been an illusion. It just that now people are able to figure out the truth, so there is no point in hiding all the surveillance that is being done.

Google is the CIA in disguise. Nowadays all of them are. See Yahoo (my favourite) get exposed for selling peoples information to the government for US$40-60. I think it is unfair though that they can just use your data as they see fit - especially when there is a profit involved for them.

Anyways, that CEO is jackass. Wanting privacy is not admission of wrong doing. How would he like to live in a community where there are no walls, fences or curtains in the windows? I am sure he would not stand for that. He would want his precious privacy then.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

Quote Originally Posted by psybuck2002us View Post
    Google is the CIA in disguise. Nowadays all of them are. See Yahoo (my favourite) get exposed for selling peoples information to the government for US$40-60. I think it is unfair though that they can just use your data as they see fit - especially when there is a profit involved for them.

Anyways, that CEO is jackass. Wanting privacy is not admission of wrong doing. How would he like to live in a community where there are no walls, fences or curtains in the windows? I am sure he would not stand for that. He would want his precious privacy then.
    I am sure him no have a daughter. Unless him a peep pon her and turn around tell her that if she dot doing anything wrong she shouldn't mind.

Mi woulda like fi him leave her with me (given she is of age), thats the only time I would trust him with my data. (then again maybe not even then)
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolfe Hellscream View Post
    I smell a hypocrite. I guess privacy is just an illusion these days. Woe is us
    Privacy was always an illusion and as an IT person you should know that all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by psybuck2002us View Post

It depends how you interpret it is/was he referring to information privacy or surveillance privacy because I think he was referring to information he is just stating that if you not doing anything illegal you shouldn't be worried about them going through your credit and financial information etc...in a way he is not that far off its not pleasant but that doesn't mean its not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung_Jah View Post
    They can sniff all they want...in the long run I will win the case...dem nuh fi faaass inna mi business...I NEED PRIVACY PLEASE.
    This doesn't really apply to a little country like ours but more for developed countries, people need to make up their mind because they cannot have privacy and protection (by the state) simultaneously when the government just makes a move on a building out of the blue and arrest individuals before they commit a crime or terrorism how do you think they knew about that they have line taps and or means of surveillance they were breaching your privacy and thats how they picked up those phone calls and those emails no one complains people need to be realistic you want supreme privacy then be ready to fend for yourselves and don't expect the government to come and protect you. As I stated before it may not be pleasant but its a reality is you have a lot more to lose from them not monitoring you.

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    I am sure him no have a daughter. Unless him a peep pon her and turn around tell her that if she dot doing anything wrong she shouldn't mind.

Mi woulda like fi him leave her with me (given she is of age), thats the only time I would trust him with my data. (then again maybe not even then)
    You may see it as a violation to quote "peep on your daughter" due to the gender issue so are you also stating that you wouldn't want your wife to keep an eye on your daughter to make sure "she not doing anything wrong"?
    Last edited by Anubis; Dec 10, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

So basically privacy and security cannot coexist. After all you cannot protect people unless you are able to control their movements and know what is going on within their lives. But there has to be a boundary someplace.

All these corporations have realized that there is big money in "national security" so they will exploit it as much as possibly. The CEOs will take home their multimillion dollar salaries and bonuses because they all see is $$$$ signs.