Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (free) Linux version is the best choice

Default Re: (free) Linux version is the best choice

Quote Originally Posted by BlaqMale
    anybody willing to lend me some of these distros so that i can also go open source? i'm on dial-up
    You can contact pigeonflight who i got CDs from before i had broadband access.

Or PM me with your digits and i might be able to get you some copies of those that i have.

Talking Re: (free) Linux version is the best choice

Someone said most distributions are 4 or 5 CDs.

Not true... there are many out there that come on only one CD. I don't recall if it was mentioned or not, but have a stop over at www.distrowatch.com or is it .org? Can't recall, it is one or the other though.

There you can go over a list of over 100 (last i checked) distributions and learn more about them before you even take the plunge. Live CDs are a good suggestion since you don't have to actually install the OS to use it -- it runs directly from your CD Rom drive... you should have one. Right?

Then start the others so you can check out the GUI (graphical user interface) to see which one you are more comfortable. Most new-to-Linux users need to be pried away slowly from what they are accustomed to. That is usually some Microsoft operating system.

With that in mind, it is needful for you to know that almost all Linux operating systems will allow you to do that. So if you wish, just start looking for those customizations and enjoy.

First step though -- make a note of how you use or want to use your computer. If you have a Palm device,, watch DVD, write CD, listen to music, surf the web, write emails/letters (office) and so on, then Linux can do it for you. Find one that does the things you want to do or you won't be happy and then probably go off telling someone how bad an experience you had in Linux and that would make us who love Linux mad... an yu no waaaaaaaaaaaaan dat. :-D