Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got banned yesterday

you guys seem to have alot of money throwing around, to be buying a new console every min, is it really worth it?
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

According to M$, the xbox has a DRM system that will automatically pirated software. When you mod you system, I believe it disables the DRM. So I am guessing M$ could have performed some sort of hardware profile.

I read in a thread yesterday, that the hard drive will still work on another xbox, but the modded xbox is dead to the net...

Chris

Edit---

Microsoft hasn’t disclosed how it detects modded consoles, but according to reports that I’m getting, even having a non-standard hard drive fitted is enough to get the console banned from Xbox Live. And once a console is added to a ban list, it’s forever banished (I’ve heard from people who robustly claim to have been incorrectly banned by whatever system is in place who can’t get that ban overturned).
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=6121
    Last edited by techie2000; Nov 12, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added more info

lol. Maybe they fry a fuse. Heard some crap like that in other electronics and even in the 360 for preventing homebrew (not certain about that). Somebody needs to sue somebody
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

techie, M$ CANNOT ban you for simply having a non standard hdd on your console since these consoles flood ebay and are sold to unsuspecting consumers.

M$ bans individuals using a flagging system. For example, the non-standard hdd may raise a flag to M$ but it is not enough to ban you, as a xbox console generates more and more flags, it is likely for a ban.

So a user who has a modded hdd will say get 1 flag versus a user having a modded console, continuous logging into xbl playing pirated games may over time accumulate 5 flags as an example, once you have gotten enough flags then you are banned.

Having a non standard hdd on an unmodded console SHOULD not get you banned if it does then I would simply use the ebay card.
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

but M$ no longer has any pity on people buying used consoles off ebay
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Quote Originally Posted by seanbee20 View Post
    techie, M$ CANNOT ban you for simply having a non standard hdd on your console since these consoles flood ebay and are sold to unsuspecting consumers.

M$ bans individuals using a flagging system. For example, the non-standard hdd may raise a flag to M$ but it is not enough to ban you, as a xbox console generates more and more flags, it is likely for a ban.

So a user who has a modded hdd will say get 1 flag versus a user having a modded console, continuous logging into xbl playing pirated games may over time accumulate 5 flags as an example, once you have gotten enough flags then you are banned.

Having a non standard hdd on an unmodded console SHOULD not get you banned if it does then I would simply use the ebay card.
    Hey I am just posting what the people are saying. According to the article you can get banned for using a non-standard hdd. I did some digging and some other gamers seem to believe this is correct. Of course I cant confirm or deny the accuracy of the information, but in all honesty, no body knows what the heck M$ is doing.

I found this to be interesting:

These bannings have been quite widespread, and at 1,000,000 users that is roughly 5% of the Xbox Live subscriber base. But are all those being
    banned, pirates? I spoke with a representative from Microsoft briefly at Major Nelson.com and learned some interesting information. Regardless of whether you modify your xbox to pirate games, or just modify it to look cooler, perform better, or last longer, these actions are against the terms of service agreement that you accept when prompted to on the Xbox Live login.
    http://burn360.net/featured/microsoft-banning-pirates/

Basically, changing the color of your xbox would technically be enough to get you banned. It sucks, but it is no coincidence that this is all being down right before the holiday season. I wonder how many of those 1 million users will be getting a new xbox for Christmas?

Imagine this guys, I have my brand new unmodded console, my friend comes over with his non standard hdd but wants to play using his profile so I allow him to remove my hdd and place using his. I turn on my XBOX the next day and I am banned. Do you guys see the legal nightmares M$ would put itself through for banning solely on the basis of having a modded hdd attached?

M$ has stated that they do not ban unless they are positive of violations and as such they don't just ban on a single offense, they instead collect data and once it exceeds a threshold you are banned, now in the same example as I pointed out where a friend comes over with his modded hdd, if M$ has enough other violations on me with that console then I have no recourse when the modded hdd puts me over the threshold cause they would have had enough violations to justify a ban.

Krems, I am not talking about used consoles bought from ebay, I am talking about cheap hdds sold on ebay. Microsoft's #1 selling console is the arcade version which does not come with a hdd, do you guys imagine the number of unknowing customers who go to ebay, search for xbox 360 120gb hdd, see it being sold and simply click buy it out, do you think that 80% of those customers know the hdd is not standard?
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5