View Poll Results: Choose the best option(s)

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) Failed video card

0 0%
  • b) Failed video cable

4 44.44%
  • c) Failed motherboard

0 0%
  • d) Failed backlight

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CompTIA A+ Depot Technician Quiz #27

Default CompTIA A+ Depot Technician Quiz #27

Use deduction in this one to eliminate the wrong answers:

You work as a computer technician at a busy computer store. A customer brings in their laptop and tells you that the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) is not working. You plug in an external monitor to the laptop's monitor output and verify that the correct output is being displayed. You then test the inverter and verify that it is working as well. What is most likely the cause of this customer's problem? Choose the best option(s) from those listed below.

a) Failed video card
    b) Failed video cable
    c) Failed motherboard
    d) Failed backlight
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

I really don't know - BUT i say B) Video Cable

My Logic

A) Laptops don't have specific video cards - it's all onboard so if video chipset gone bad, u have to change the motherboard cause u won't be getting the video chipset to buy from anywhere if u think u can solder a new 1 back on. So A) is a NO NO

b) Video cable - don't know what them call video cable. Inverter powers the Backlight, so i guess Video cable sends data to LCD panel

c) If Motherboard bad - nothing works

d) If backlight bad - u wud see things on the screen BUT it would be very faint.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

yessir it has to be B.

Has to? Don't be so sure...!

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Hmm or D i dunno but its b or d for me.

Just had this problem other day. You were able to verify the output, so mobo's fine (the system booted). Video's actually showing in the first place, so i doubt it's the card (unless there're two separate video mechanisms for LCD and external, which I doubt). Don't know about any cable connecting the LCD to mobo (or whatever), so that leaves the backlight. However, the LCD isn't working at all (in the system I worked on, the LCD worked, but you can barely see it), so I'm going back to the cable. I'll say B... no, D. Oh WTH!
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

After the inverter, the backlight is the most likely cause for this type of problem. If the backlight or inverter fails, then the screen will be very dim and virtually unreadable. The only way to verify for sure that this problem is being caused by the backlight is to replace it.

Correct Option(s):

d) Failed backlight

Incorrect Option(s):

a) Failed video card - If the problem was caused by the video card, then you wouldn't be able to see the output on an external monitor.
    b) Failed video cable - The video cable that connects a laptop's LCD to the motherboard or video card is designed to be flexible and not break. This is a possible, but unlikely cause of the problem.
    c) Failed motherboard - If the motherboard failed, there would most likely be more symptoms than simply a blank LCD.

RIP Ramesh ...

See..that's why i don't like that question.
    Cause the screen completely blank - if the backlight was bad, you should see something on the screen. It can't be completely blank.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

I assume a failed backlight would not show anything at all. A failing backlight would dim the screen.

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    I assume a failed backlight would not show anything at all. A failing backlight would dim the screen.
    Actually, in the laptop I was working on has a failed backlight/inverter and I could still see the screen (with a lot of external lighting of course)...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions