Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Certifcations vs. Degrees vs. Experience

Certifications are important. I work with a number of companies. The people who have certifications tend to have a better grasp of the concepts. I find it easier to work with them.

Certifications without experience is of limited value. However, the knowledge required to pass the exams gives a person a good foundation.

Work experience is important. However, it really depends on where you get the experience. The quality of the experience varies significantly from company to company.

This is just my experience from working with technical people in various companies.

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post
    I am probably shooting myself in the foot here, but what do you all think is the best route? Personally I am a fan of experience. I am tired of seeing people with 50 certifications on their resume and no experience. I shouldnt say no experience, but people with 50 certs who are unable answer a basic question or troubleshoot a hypothetical situation.

If you look at any job posting, you notice that they will list every certification under the sun as a requirement.

My point is that you spend all this time/money going through college and your are still unable to get a job without spending more money and time on certifications.

/rant/

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    All three are important, go to college and get your degree. While your doing your degree get a couple certifications and gain some experience by interning or even (yes i am gonna say it) do some work for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by zandex View Post
    You need to understand that having a degree is more about generalization. Therefore, you having the IT degree does not mean you can configure and manipulate the Cisco, Linux, Unix and Windows environment. It serves as an indicator to the hiring managers that you are trainable and disciplined.

The idea behind certifications mainly reference specialization in a specific field or technology. It helps an organization quickly eliminate individuals from the hiring process for a given position. The basic understanding is that they can use it as a gauge in determining the potential candidate's capability in working with the product/service.

Finally, the experience. This is where the prospective employer looks for the answer to cement (bridge) the two worlds - degree and certification. Clearly, looking at your experience becomes a tell-tale sign for them. Now if you have x degree and y number of certifications, then one is going to look for some level of validation with activity. The activity here is in regards to you putting your knowledge to work. The experience shows that you have applied the concepts gained from both training methods (degree and certificates) and have also honed other technique\skills.

Now you are going to have several debates about all the various exceptions (combination of conclusions) to the rule and that is expected. Here we go:

1. I have only a degree, where do I get the experience?
    2. I have only the certification and cannot get the degree at this time.
    3. Experience and no degree or certifications

The list above can grow rapidly, therefore, I have decided to cut it at #3 to convey a basic point. Regardless of which side of the fence you place yourself, the final decision lies with the hiring manager.

I believe that in the end all three of these helps with the hiring process and allow them to reduce the "search time" during the employment process. Note that the concept of search time can be extremely expensive for the company and you the seeker.

Here is a little formula I came up with:

1. Getting into the company: Having the necessary credentials and know-how. This basically translate to one having the right educational qualifications (degree only, degree + certifications, certifications only) and experience. Remember that some companies will also over look the lack of qualifications if the level of experiences shown are detailed and convincing.

2. Keeping the job for three months: This is more about adaptibility in the work environment. Remember they can use this time to know if you were just giving them the BS during the interviewing cycle.

3. Sustaining the job beyond the probation period: This is where you leverage the resources available to you within the organization. Attending the internal training for development (soft and hard skills). Requesting funds to upgrading your skills as the technology/services or whatever you are in changes. Remember many companies will fund going back to school or just taking courses to upgrade yourself at no financial cost to you (with the exception of the opportunity cost making some money on the side for the time attending these mentioned activities). Nevertheless, this is where you shift the cost of certifications/degree back to the third party (the current employer), while still being in a positioned to be marketable in the future.

If you didn't get anything from what I have been saying, just remember this, the dynamics of the business world and capitalism shifts expeditiously. Never rely on your current job (employment) to sustain you in the foreseeable future. If something should go wrong with the company, you are in a better position to get the next job quicker than the other guy. We are living in a very competitive world, which is due to limited resources.

Okay, I think enough have been said now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Certifications are important. I work with a number of companies. The people who have certifications tend to have a better grasp of the concepts. I find it easier to work with them.

Certifications without experience is of limited value. However, the knowledge required to pass the exams gives a person a good foundation.

Work experience is important. However, it really depends on where you get the experience. The quality of the experience varies significantly from company to company.

This is just my experience from working with technical people in various companies.
    I agree with a lot of what has been said. Get the papers and try get your experience while doing so - or after getting the papers/experience, get into a company (preferably one that's education-oriented) and work from there. The recommendations of all are posted - just make your decision based on what's been said.

Personally, I'd strongly recommend getting into an education-oriented company - then getting your certs while there. At least you can pay for it along the way - or the company will help to pay (or pay all).

Quote Originally Posted by Malloc-X View Post
    what would you recommend for someone with a degree and ccna certification that has little experience in the field?
    CISCO has lots of programs available for students to download and use in order to get a feel of the equipment. I'd recommend you start there, then try find someone who actually works on the equipment to get some hands-on.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by zandex View Post
    You need to understand that having a degree is more about generalization. Therefore, you having the IT degree does not mean you can configure and manipulate the Cisco, Linux, Unix and Windows environment. It serves as an indicator to the hiring managers that you are trainable and disciplined.
    True.

A degree is also good for determining the salary you receive. With a degree you will fall into a certain salary range in each company. The certs are good for giving you the specific skills you need to support a specific vendor's products.

My company used to support a software product for a company in the Montego Bay Free Zone. When the company was sold, they new owners brought in different software.

When we were being interviewed for the contract, I showed the CEO my Windows MCP card. We were not there to support their Windows network. However, the fact that I was Microsoft certified was a big reason we got the contract.

As Zandex has suggested, decision makers need some way to assess your skills. A degree or certification lets them know that you can work at a certain level. It just gives them a little more confidence in your ability. It is hard for someone to assess the quality of your work experience in an interview.
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    True.

A degree is also good for determining the salary you receive. With a degree you will fall into a certain salary range in each company. The certs are good for giving you the specific skills you need to support a specific vendor's products.

My company used to support a software product for a company in the Montego Bay Free Zone. When the company was sold, they new owners brought in different software.

When we were being interviewed for the contract, I showed the CEO my Windows MCP card. We were not there to support their Windows network. However, the fact that I was Microsoft certified was a big reason we got the contract.

As Zandex has suggested, decision makers need some way to assess your skills. A degree or certification lets them know that you can work at a certain level. It just gives them a little more confidence in your ability. It is hard for someone to assess the quality of your work experience in an interview.

And I guess it is also a way to separate the techies from management. People general dont spend all the time, money , and effort getting a BS or MS to still end up crimping network cables. If you are interested in a management track a degree is definitely the best route.

A degree can also be complimented by certifications or experience.

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post
    And I guess it is also a way to separate the techies from management. People general dont spend all the time, money , and effort getting a BS or MS to still end up crimping network cables.
    It really depends on the company. I have seen people with degrees doing day to day networking activities. In banks for example.

However, the degree determines how much they are paid to do this.

-Going to university for 4 years puts you in a better position than others when it comes to hiring supervisors and managers and not really lower level workers because some companies cant afford to pay them,they are not taught the basic(technical stuff),and they are inexperienced when it comes to working in the field as ex a technician or network admin.
    -Going to College for 1-2 years puts you in a good position because you are given the hands on experience needed to perform in the working world. this person will be able to perform more technical related tasks that some managers and supervisors are unable to do(depending on his or her diploma)
    -Certifications (1-4months) specializes the person in only one particular area but in this short period exposes the person to all aspects of that particular area so he or she is very knowledgeable in that area.
    Last edited by phase86; Feb 1, 2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: forgot something

In an Ideal world experience should be enough in a strictly technical field but the persons doing the hiring thinks a degree translate into a competent individual .However I have had conversations with many persons who have had international/local degrees and lets just say A degree sometimes is just a piece of paper.
    My take is
    Strictly technical field = experience , certification , degree
    Management = degree , experience , certification
    Non-Technical = degree

I think when it comes down to it experience will always trump everything else. So i'd say:

Strictly technical = experience, cert, degree
    Management = experience, degree, cert

How do you define "non-technical" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    All three are important, go to college and get your degree. While your doing your degree get a couple certifications and gain some experience by interning or even (yes i am gonna say it) do some work for free.

Well said Morpheus. ALL 3 ARE IMPORTANT.

im gonna throw in my question now
    im at a crossroads now where im doin ma CCNA cert. now im thinking, do i get another cert and work with those or do i try to get a Bsc in IT or the like?

now check this, in terms of weight, the time u would spend doin the Bsc (3+yrs depending on program) you could have acquired more than 3 certs (ccna im doin lasts for abt 9mths - 1yr)
    so now the math is ...... 1 Bsc. to 3-4 certs. (i think that it would make sum sense to stay with the certs, but i could be wrong)

now in terms of money, the same money for the Bsc. (upwards 300k dependent on program again and institution) could cop u 2-3 certs.

so what to do, continue on the path to certification, or get the Bsc? need ur input urgently guys
    i love my country, but i fear my elected officials
    Call me on 3538447.
    topdogclu @ hotmail.com