Thread: Nokia sues Apple, says iPhone infringes ten patents

Default Nokia sues Apple, says iPhone infringes ten patents

Espoo, Finland - Nokia announced that it has today filed a complaint against Apple with the Federal District Court in Delaware, alleging that Apple's iPhone infringes Nokia patents for GSM, UMTS and wireless LAN (WLAN) standards.

As a leading innovator in wireless communications, Nokia has created one of the strongest and broadest patent portfolios in the industry, investing more than EUR 40 billion in R&D during the last two decades. Much of this intellectual property, including the patents in suit, has been declared essential to industry standards. Nokia has already successfully entered into license agreements including these patents with approximately 40 companies, including virtually all the leading mobile device vendors, allowing the industry to benefit from Nokia's innovation.

The ten patents in suit relate to technologies fundamental to making devices which are compatible with one or more of the GSM, UMTS (3G WCDMA) and wireless LAN standards. The patents cover wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption and are infringed by all Apple iPhone models shipped since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.

"The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies who contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for," said Ilkka Rahnasto, Vice President, Legal & Intellectual Property at Nokia. "Apple is also expected to follow this principle. By refusing to agree appropriate terms for Nokia's intellectual property, Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia's innovation."

During the last two decades, Nokia has invested approximately EUR 40 billion in research and development and built one of the wireless industry's strongest and broadest IPR portfolios, with over 10,000 patent families. Nokia is a world leader in the development of GSM technologies and its evolution to UMTS / 3G WCDMA as well as wireless LAN, which is also demonstrated by Nokia's strong patent position in these technologies.
    http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1349562

This should be interesting to watch
    Last edited by kenroy112; Oct 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    ZEN
    CPU CORE i7 6850k @ 4GHz, RAM Gskill 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, GPU Asus GTX1070 Aura Storage: Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M.2 SSD , 500GB EVO , Cooling & Power Corsair RM750i & H100i V2 Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Atx

everyones ripping my company off
    I protect i serve i reassure!

Did not see that coming. They'll probably settle out of court for a couple billion or such and in the mean time the share price will plummet. Coincidentally the timing of this news is very interesting since Apple just announced better than expected earnings for the last quarter on the back of, among other things, strong iPhone sales. Wonder what Nokia's earnings were like for the same period?

Nokia never recorded a Quarterly loss in 10 years. Imagine that which company on earth you ever hear have that("well alot actually"), buy you get what im saying. Them see seh apple a eat a huge food so them want to take a bite. That would be BADmind in our culture, but in the business world their is no such thing as badmind.

Dont flame me Nokia fanboys because im a fellow fan.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

Quote Originally Posted by mobile_fan_2k5 View Post
    Nokia never recorded a Quarterly loss in 10 years. Imagine that which company on earth you ever hear have that("well alot actually"), buy you get what im saying. Them see seh apple a eat a huge food so them want to take a bite. That would be BADmind in our culture, but in the business world their is no such thing as badmind.

lock off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
    Did not see that coming. They'll probably settle out of court for a couple billion or such and in the mean time the share price will plummet. Coincidentally the timing of this news is very interesting since Apple just announced better than expected earnings for the last quarter on the back of, among other things, strong iPhone sales. Wonder what Nokia's earnings were like for the same period?
    Well my friend this is how companies operate, if they see somebody stealing their patent they watch to see if the company is going to be sucessful, if they are then you shake them for a huge sums of money. A primary example is when Sony was using the rumble technology ( game controller ) patent which they didnt own the rights for, the patent holder waited like 3 years then sued and got like almost 91 million.

Apple better watch out now cause Nokia could be asking them for 1 Billion bucks.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...feedName=usdai
    ZEN
    CPU CORE i7 6850k @ 4GHz, RAM Gskill 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, GPU Asus GTX1070 Aura Storage: Samsung 512GB 950 Pro M.2 SSD , 500GB EVO , Cooling & Power Corsair RM750i & H100i V2 Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Atx

Quote Originally Posted by mobile_fan_2k5 View Post

Apple sue more ppl than ppl what one can call reasonable.

I think Nokia timed this one nicely since the number of iphones that have hit the streets is at record breaking numbers. If they had waited a little longer when the iphones lost there steam they might not get the optimal compensation/unit that they maybe able to get now.

Basically what they are saying is that apple manufactures NOKIAs with OSX on top. LOL.
    THANK GOD