View Poll Results: Choose the best option(s)

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) Replace the NIC.

0 0%
  • b) Try a known good network cable.

0 0%
  • c) Set the NIC to obtain an IP address automatically.

5 100.00%
  • d) Restart the computer.

0 0%

Thread: CompTIA A+ Depot Technician Quiz #11

Default CompTIA A+ Depot Technician Quiz #11

You are a computer technician for a small computer repair shop. You must go on a service call to restore an Internet connection for a client whose computer was repaired by a friend of the client. The client's computer connects directly to the Internet Service Provider's (ISP) modem. When you check the TCP/IP settings for the Network Interface Card (NIC) you notice it has an assigned address of 192.168.x.x. The NIC's light is on and according to the networking icon in the computer's system tray, the connection is good. What must be done to restore the connection? Choose the best option(s) from those listed below.

a) Replace the NIC.
    b) Try a known good network cable.
    c) Set the NIC to obtain an IP address automatically.
    d) Restart the computer.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Option C - duh........
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

ah lie, the answer is D.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Ropy spreading fallacy? unlike him
    We Is Friends!
    Me And You Is Friends!
    You Smile, I Smile ....
    You Hurt, I Hurt ..
    You Cry, I Cry ..
    You Jump Off A Bridge ..
    I Gonna Miss Your E-Mails !

You sure about that?

Generally when using a cable or DSL modem the ISP will dynamically assign an IP address for that connection. The computer or router connected to the modem will be assigned this IP address. In our example, the computer is directly connected to the modem, so it should receive the IP address. Instead it has a static IP address set up. The IP address currently assigned to the computer, 192.168.x.x, is a private address. This type of address would not be assigned by an ISP as it is not usable on the Internet. Many times if a computer is repaired and then tested on a test network or LAN, a static IP address will be assigned for testing. If the setting is not returned to the "Obtain an IP Address automatically" setting, the computer will not receive the dynamic IP it needs to access the Internet through the ISP's modem.

Correct Option(s):

Incorrect Option(s):

a) Replace the NIC. - The lights are on and the icon for the network connection indicates all is good. In this case, the NIC needs to be configured to obtain an IP address automatically.
    b) Try a known good network cable. - Usually if you have a bad network cable, it will be indicated with a red X on the networking icon. The icon for this computer indicates that it is good.
    d) Restart the computer. - The NIC has a statically assigned IP address, so restarting the computer will not change this.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    You sure about that?

Generally when using a cable or DSL modem the ISP will dynamically assign an IP address for that connection. The computer or router connected to the modem will be assigned this IP address. In our example, the computer is directly connected to the modem, so it should receive the IP address. Instead it has a static IP address set up. The IP address currently assigned to the computer, 192.168.x.x, is a private address. This type of address would not be assigned by an ISP as it is not usable on the Internet. Many times if a computer is repaired and then tested on a test network or LAN, a static IP address will be assigned for testing. If the setting is not returned to the "Obtain an IP Address automatically" setting, the computer will not receive the dynamic IP it needs to access the Internet through the ISP's modem.

Correct Option(s):

Incorrect Option(s):

a) Replace the NIC. - The lights are on and the icon for the network connection indicates all is good. In this case, the NIC needs to be configured to obtain an IP address automatically.
    b) Try a known good network cable. - Usually if you have a bad network cable, it will be indicated with a red X on the networking icon. The icon for this computer indicates that it is good.
    d) Restart the computer. - The NIC has a statically assigned IP address, so restarting the computer will not change this.
    The more I think about it, the more I think some of these reasons just don't make that much sense . Esp the answers where there's the same reason for multiple wrong options. I think the reasons should be more tailored to their matching option .
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions