View Poll Results: Choose the best option(s)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) Take out the old RAM and match the slots to the new RAM.

3 50.00%
  • b) Make sure to buy the fastest RAM available so your computer will run faster.

0 0%
  • c) Check the documentation for the motherboard.

6 100.00%
  • d) It doesn't matter; as long as it's DDR RAM it will work, not affect computer's performance.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CompTIA A+ Depot Technician Quiz #10

Default CompTIA A+ Depot Technician Quiz #10

You decide to upgrade the Dual Data Rate Random Access Memory (DDR RAM) on your computer. What method should be used to determine what type of RAM to purchase? Choose the best option(s) from those listed below.

a) Take out the old RAM and match the slots to the new RAM.
    b) Make sure to buy the fastest RAM available so your computer will run faster.
    c) Check the documentation for the motherboard.
    d) It does not matter; as long as it is DDR RAM it will work and not affect your computer's performance.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Options A and C......
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

I aint too sure about A still. Is it possible for different Memory modules to have identical groving yet different density?
    We Is Friends!
    Me And You Is Friends!
    You Smile, I Smile ....
    You Hurt, I Hurt ..
    You Cry, I Cry ..
    You Jump Off A Bridge ..
    I Gonna Miss Your E-Mails !

Nop, it's not possible.
    To prove this to yourself, try inserting a SDRAM\DDR2\DDR3 ram into a DDR slot and note the outcome.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

answer C. (Fool proof)

A. could help but is certainly not the best way to go if you have the motherboard manual.

Did I miss the answer to the last question? I dont even remember what it was but I know it had me thinking a bit.

There's only one answer.

You should always check the motherboard documentation to ensure you purchase the correct RAM for your motherboard. If you purchase RAM that is rated higher, the RAM will run at the speed of the motherboard and will not result in your system running faster. If you were to choose RAM that is rated slower, the motherboard would try to communicate at the higher speed, which is known as overclocking. This can cause overheating and potentially damage the RAM and/or motherboard.

Correct Option(s):

Incorrect Option(s):

a) Take out the old RAM and match the slots to the new RAM. - Even though DDR RAM has the same number of pins, different bus speeds are associated with them.
    b) Make sure to buy the fastest RAM available so your computer will run faster. - If you purchase RAM that is rated for a higher bus speed than your motherboard can handle, the RAM will run at the lower speed.
    d) It does not matter; as long as it is DDR RAM it will work and not affect your computer's performance. - If you were to use RAM with a lower bus speed rating, the system would try to communicate at the higher speed. This would result in overclocking, which can overheat the RAM. If the RAM is rated at a higher speed than the motherboard is rated, the RAM will operate at the lower speed. If RAM speeds are mismatched, the RAM will run at the rate of the slower RAM. Any of these situations can affect your computer's performance.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    There's only one answer.

You should always check the motherboard documentation to ensure you purchase the correct RAM for your motherboard. If you purchase RAM that is rated higher, the RAM will run at the speed of the motherboard and will not result in your system running faster. If you were to choose RAM that is rated slower, the motherboard would try to communicate at the higher speed, which is known as overclocking. This can cause overheating and potentially damage the RAM and/or motherboard.

Correct Option(s):

Incorrect Option(s):

a) Take out the old RAM and match the slots to the new RAM. - Even though DDR RAM has the same number of pins, different bus speeds are associated with them.
    b) Make sure to buy the fastest RAM available so your computer will run faster. - If you purchase RAM that is rated for a higher bus speed than your motherboard can handle, the RAM will run at the lower speed.
    d) It does not matter; as long as it is DDR RAM it will work and not affect your computer's performance. - If you were to use RAM with a lower bus speed rating, the system would try to communicate at the higher speed. This would result in overclocking, which can overheat the RAM. If the RAM is rated at a higher speed than the motherboard is rated, the RAM will operate at the lower speed. If RAM speeds are mismatched, the RAM will run at the rate of the slower RAM. Any of these situations can affect your computer's performance.
    Are you saying that RAM can be damaged if its speed is too far below the bus speed ? I thought the system would compensate by cutting it's speed a bit lower ...
    Rooted OnePlus 2 64GB Ed, Android 5.1.1 OxygenOS ; on teifin' AT&T's network; Rooted ASUS Transformer TF101 w/ dock, Android 5.1 KatKiss; Laptop: ASUS X550C, 2.0GHzx2, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Kubuntu 15.10;
    Facebook page: Skeleville Technology Solutions

Even though different bus speeds are associated - the auto-clock to the slowest ram so A is still a viable option. Especially since they said choose the best option(s). They should have said best option (full stop)
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Skele Drew View Post
    Are you saying that RAM can be damaged if its speed is too far below the bus speed ? I thought the system would compensate by cutting it's speed a bit lower ...
    Only if your overclocking I would say, this is not a general rule but it is possible especially with a few boards geared towards overclocking that auto tweaks. Instead of simple dropping to match the slower memory it trys to get the best possible performance from the part by tweaking settings.

Something I learn't recently at a overclocking class. I dont see it being damaged immediately but could lead to a unstable system or a shorter life span of your memory. Bear in mind that in such cases you always have the ability to manually re-adjust the tweaked settings.