View Poll Results: Range before tax (per month)

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • 00-20k

28 23.33%
  • 20-40k

24 20.00%
  • 40-60K

13 10.83%
  • 60-80k

15 12.50%
  • 80-100k

12 10.00%
  • 100-120k

5 4.17%
  • 120-140k

5 4.17%
  • 140-160K

3 2.50%
  • 160-180K

2 1.67%
  • > 180K

13 10.83%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you make?

Default Re: How much do you make?

The thread starter disabled that option. Discussing how much one person makes isn't professional. I wouldn't have voted if the results of who voted could be seen by everyone.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

no problem, just checking.

nastro, i was just wondering the same thing

since i dont work in the tech field, i didnt want to spoil the sample but it's still interesting to see the results

I think it would also be useful from a membership point of view, not only the tech industry.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

pcchick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrodamus
    Although it is unprofessional to discuss salary, I think this makes an interesting study, especially if you compare it to a poll of the sectors in the computing industry where eveyone works. (assuming that the sample is the same)
    Who says it is unprofessional to discuss salary??

pcchick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    just because a person grosses > 180K per month doesn't mean that they're rich (not poor) You would have to take into account their monthly expenses, commitments, debts. The more you earn the more your living expenses increase.
    hmm the first man to STand up for the biggaa $$ in thread = the man who makes the dough.

Quote Originally Posted by pcchick
    Who says it is unprofessional to discuss salary??
    i think he was saying its unprofessional to ask a person how much they making.

But whats professional about any of this we're not working together or anything.

It's called professional ethics gentlefolks. Techie or no Techie, discussing how much you make is highly unprofessional. That's why the poll should remain anonymous. Consider the following implications if this poll were Otherwise:

- It leads individuals to making false assumptions and presuppositions about each other (especially with respect to their lifestyle) even if you don't really want to. In fact, I see at least 1 post in this thread where someone has already made this blatantly obvious. That person knows themself. There is such a thing as too much information. The human mind is a naturally evil thing - even if you think you are not.

- Having an anonymous cross-section of salary earnings for the tech community proves to be far more useful information to me (maybe I'm considering a career change?) than how much John Brown makes. When I know how much John Brown makes, I forget all about the fact that John Brown is a techie, and I think "wow, he makes 180k a month!" Jealousy is a funny thing. It has no preferential target.

- Furthermore, it's usually not a good idea to put fine details of your personal life up on a public website which gets at least 500 hits per day - many of that number from anonymous unique visitors. I mean c'mon. Who here wants to setup themself for an armed robbery? Have we forgotten that we live in the 4th most violent country on earth? Hello?! Have some of you fallen on your skulls?

People have a nasty way of loving to chat other people's business. So keep it anonymous and professional. That's the way to do business around here.

I totally agree with xeno, people shouldn't be askin other people how much they make its just wrong. Its in the human nature to be jealous, did u guys watch the movie ghost? and i am not evil, xeno u know this
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

While I will agree that it's inappropriate to ask individuals their salary, asking persons to indicate their salary via an anonymous poll is quite a common data collection technique. No one demanded anyone to post and identify their salary, and I'm sure that there are several who responded to the poll who haven't posted, and vice versa.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com