Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Implore Caution !

Red face Re: I Implore Caution !

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    yeah dats what ive been telling the youths for a long time, but them still want to make hacker group and those things. And they not even smart, like walking about telling everyone of what they are capable of doing and where they practice. it get me cross sometimes
    But that's what crackers do! I once saw an ascii file from a cracked software on some computer containing boasts about the group that ownzed the software (nicks, irc addy, why they did it, how to join etc). So, AFAIK crackers will always need an outlet for their accomplishments.

Default Re: I Implore Caution !

the days of spoofing ip addy's are over...hackers cannot hide anymore.....all the servers are now carrying their logs to show the hops....

so how will a hacker hide once the intrusion is discovered?
    any good system admin will be examining his/her log to see who's been in and under what protocol....

its a waste of time.......unless you are doing it on your own networks in order to learn how the exploiters may come in.

this then requires substantial experience and knowledge of networks, operating systems and scripting.

who has time to waste like that when programming cisco network boxes or web servers isnt or hasnt been your job.

one would be better of learning programming in order to write competent and useful tools to assist in the daily networking job.....much better accomplishment and more kudos......could even make a change out of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by deakie
    the days of spoofing ip addy's are over...hackers cannot hide anymore.....all the servers are now carrying their logs to show the hops....

any good system admin will be examining his/her log to see who's been in and under what protocol....

its a waste of time.......unless you are doing it on your own networks in order to learn how the exploiters may come in.

this then requires substantial experience and knowledge of networks, operating systems and scripting.

who has time to waste like that when programming cisco network boxes or web servers isnt or hasnt been your job.

one would be better of learning programming in order to write competent and useful tools to assist in the daily networking job.....much better accomplishment and more kudos......could even make a change out of it.....
    That is why many hackers use a public place e.g. internet cafe to do their dirty work. They then hop unto different servers...creating a bread crumb trail as it were that is very hard to track if you don't know what to look for.
    Editing logs is a simple thing once a hacker has root/administrative privelages.

Did you by chance reflect on the work experience that Jacobsen guy had? The yout was probably bored with the everyday "learning programming in order to write competent and useful tools to assist in the daily networking job" and to keep his brain from sleeping he did something more challenging....albeit stupid.... hack into one of the top telecom servers AND misused the data he had come up on.

Many servers get hacked on a hourly basis....and the majority of the sys admins monitoring them don't have a clue. Its when a hacker decides to do stupid things/get sloppy that they stand a chance of being nabbed.
    Calm Like a BOMB

i agree with matronyx, there are still ways and means of hacking/cracking. and ip spoofing is no longer necessary, you have free dialup, and there are many boxes on the net just waiting to be a drone. hackin is still possible, and it is very widespread

Quote Originally Posted by deakie

I am sorry but I must call BS when I see it. the only people recording server logs are admins in companies and a few special people who have tech jobs. Now as a result of the broadband era, tons of people are hooking up there wind0ze box to there brand spanking new high speed interenet connection. the days of finding high speed servers to bounce your packets through are gone. Craft your self a virus and mail it off to people, or even take advantage of the many unpatched IE exploits and voila instant botnet. Then all you need to do is install a windows rootkit (preferably one you wrote), install a socks like program and the ips that show up on your victims box will definately not be yours. Now if you have access to someone elses wireless network then by all means use that in conjunction with your botnet and the odds of oyu getting caught just went through the roof. ASSUMING you keep your mouth shut.
    Now I am not saying it should be done. Personally I beleive that if you have the knowledge to do such things you should also have the knowledge to know what the consequences of your actions are. In this case the consequences are causeing people, who have done you absolutely no wrong, pain and suffering. Once again assuming your intetions are malicious, but if you have the knowledge to pull off an attack like this then you will probably also have the ability to do it covertly (THAT MEANS DONT DAMAGE ANYTHING).

As for the aparent miunderstanding of the term hacker and cracker.... a hacker back in the old days was a programmer, who knew what they were doing. who knew how to write stuff like self modifying code, self tracing code, and or functions that run backwards crazy *** stuff like that. As for the term cracker, they are what the media today calls a hacker. The motivatoin for these unscrupulous individuals range from, the pure challenge of it to monetary gain. On the other hand there are your pure run of the mill software crackers who defeat software protection schemes. Some of you may ask why they do this; the answer is because there is the inherrent belief that information should be free. If you find yourself laughing at that idea then its obvious you havent been in a pure research environment where collegues share there information on different break throughs for free. Its the premise upon which the open source movement, which I am sure alot of you are a fan of is based.

Finally, in regards to the potential jamaican hackers out there. I encourage you to get involved. Why? because unlike your security professional bretheren you will get alot more joy out of life. You will be expanding your mind on your own terms doing something that you love to do. Instead of doing something just to get paid(Not that that is a bad thing). However, you must also keep in mind that to really be considered a hacker means a whole lot more than breaking into a few banks and government agencies... You should still treat people like you would want to be treated. You should adere to a set of ethics that even your mother would be proud of. So go a head form your groups hack amongst yourselfs but remeber like uncle ben said.... "With great power, comes great responsibility..." Are you ready for that responsibility......
    Last edited by birchoff; Feb 20, 2005 at 12:20 AM.

interesting Birchoff. yes there is a strong following for open soure among techies in ja. and yes there are more and more script kiddies in ja, because of internet being more available. but, I dont see a lot of people in ja taking interest in security. and thats why i dont think there are many crackers. basically, i dnt see anything that would inspire an adolescent n ja. to say, hey i want to do security.

If there are Ja Hackers out there trying to capture the true spirit of the hacker... then start by reading this link

http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/manifesto.html

after that go out of find you some books on ASM programming, followed by learning everyhting you can about low-level C programming.... when your done go read some RFC's to understand the protocols that our internet survives on... when your done if your mind isnt saturated with a million and one different ideas about where you could go next, then stop put the computer down and go sign up for a certification exam.

P.S. If I sound a bit hostile towards you guys with certs its becuase all it is is a piece of paper that a couple nights of craming and good luck will get you(assuming there isnt a live lab to do). If there is a lab then it just takes more practice. These certs will never give you what you really need to be a true hacker in the fullest sense of the word... the ability to think outside the box.

true word abput the certs. ive seen many people who have the paper, and still cant do anything. thanks for the links! and the advice.

interesting interesting. Birchoff one point though. Out of every 100 persons interested in the dark activities you will find 1 that will be a hacker. The other will be crackers.
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

i wonder what birchoff's occupation is?

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate