Thread: nintendo makes wii webrowser free (again)

Default nintendo makes wii webrowser free (again)

Nintendo Wii owners who wanted to browse the Web from their consoles have previously been forced to purchase the Wii Internet Channel application from the Wii Shop Channel for 500 Wii Points (that's $5.00 to the rest of us). Nintendo has now made the app free for all Wii users, saying, "Effective immediately, people who want to browse the Internet using their Wii consoles will be able to do so at no added cost."

The Wii browser, based on Opera, was previously available as a free download to early adopters who installed it between April and June of 2007.

If you've already shelled out 500 Wii points for the Internet Channel, Nintendo is offering a make-good in the form of a free game download, but you'll have to wait until October to collect.

Nintendo says in a press release: "Starting at the end of October, consumers who have previously exchanged 500 Wii Points to download the Internet Channel will be able to download, at no cost, one NES game of their choice valued at 500 Wii Points from Virtual Console."

While all three major living room consoles offer online features, only the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii have traditional Web browsers. With this price cut, both systems now offer free Web browsing software. However, some of the most compelling reasons to use a game console Web browser -- streaming Hulu and Netflix videos -- don't currently work out-of-the-box, but workarounds such as PlayOn are available for those who don't mind doing some extra set-up work.

Update: Also new to the Internet Channel is Adobe Flash Lite 3.1. We'll download the update and test it on some video streaming sites, but expect it to work with YouTube videos, not Hulu or Netflix.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10322948-1.html
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

maad,made this post with wii and usb keyboard
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

yawn @ wii..........

I still dont know what Pezz doing with a wii. It invalidates any console argument he makes...
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

so the wii browser was not free before??
    what kind of flash can it do? not familiar with that "lite" term

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    here ya go...
    Based on the Adobe® Flash® Platform, Adobe Flash Lite® 3 is a highly optimized implementation of the Flash runtime for mobile phones, consumer electronic devices, and Internet-connected digital home devices. Flash Lite enables OEMs and service providers to differentiate their devices via customized applications and user interfaces, a more complete web experience, and the ability to access video and rich content across devices. Flash Lite for the digital home enables the delivery of high-definition content and rich applications to Internet-connected TVs and TV-connected consumer electronic devices in the digital living room. Additionally, Flash Lite 3 allows developers to quickly create engaging applications, accelerate time to market, and increase customer adoption. With the new distributable player solution from Adobe, developers can directly distribute rich mobile applications with the latest Flash Lite player to millions of smartphones.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/
    wii? bah...
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

lol you know what pisses me off about this announcement. I just spent money on wii points to buy this damn browser and literally the day after i spent 500 points on the browser.... they send me a msg saying the browser is free lol. Cho I shoulda just stick to browsing on ma ps3 yah, wii browsing is kinda annoying anyway. But at least we'll get back the 500 points
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

The opera wii browser is actually better/more stable than the ps3 browser except it doesn't play anything above flash 7. Hopefully this new version brings it uptodate. The thing with the opera browser is that it is consistent and fast across many devices. The ps3 browser is some kinda custom thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chig View Post
    It used to be free when the Wii was first launched, then you had to pay for it.

Now it's free again. All those who spent 500 points to buy it now have the chance to download a free game.
    Blackberry 8900 PIN - 25839f4b