Thread: Lime DSL & Wireless Router Problem

Angry Lime DSL & Wireless Router Problem

I have a Nexxt wireless Router that im trying use, but im getting internet but the browsers dont work. I tried it with the Zhone DSL modem from lime and im getting this problem. When i use the Speedtouch modem it works perfectly but not with the Zhone. When i even try to obtain the IP of Lime modem, im getting the IP address of the wireless router, even when the router is disconnected & the machine is restarted. When the machine is plugged to the modem it works fine but still getting the router IP address, im going crazy i need help. I understand it is a DNS problem but i tried everything & no success, don't wanna format the machine to get it to work as i understand this is the best solution. Using both XP & Vista.
    DIGI# 371-5367
    EMAIL: everythingpandc@msn.com. Blackberry Pin:
    If its APPLE Products, yeah cheap i can get it.
    If it doesnt says IBM Thinkpad, i aint using it Windows Mobile Fan

Not very clear on what is going on.

The scenario is that you can connect if you use the SPEEDTOUCH or the ZHONE modem straight, but when you go through the NEXXT router you cannot?

OR

Is the scenario that you connect with the SPEEDTOUCH but not with the ZHONE, and when you connect the SPEEDTOUCH to the NEXXT you get no internet?

Please be a little more clear on what is going on. I'll try and tackle it all the same with what you've provided.

If you are getting connected to the internet via your modem - SPEEDTOUCH or ZHONE - and you can browse with whichever, then that is fine. In order to get internet through the NEXXT wireless router, you need to plug your working modem into the WAN port on the NEXXT router. The NEXXT will be what is giving out the addresses, as that is it's job. It will sit between you and the modem and do all the work.

If browsing from the modem alone is not your problem then skip this step. If you're unable to browse with the modems, then you may not have internet connectivity. Log into the modem - address will either be 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.138 depending no modem - and the user/pass should be admin, unless you changed it. From there, check and see if you are actually connected to the internet. It should show you in the status for either model modem. Check if you get an IP from the ISP (CWJ/sLIME). If you have no connectivity there, then you cannot browse.

If you can browse with the modem directly but not with the router, then there may be some configuration trouble between the modem and the router. If the modem and router are issuing IP addresses within the same range (modem and router have same IP - 192.168.1.1 for example) then there may be a conflict and it may cause problems with your browsing. Strange as it may sound to some other techs, it may actually happen. To fix this, change the addressing on the MODEM by connecting to it directly.

My apologies for not going any further in-depth, but with the info you've provided I can't be too sure. Below is a sample format that I'd like you to use and post what your issue is after describing your scenario:

SETUP A - INTERNET
    MODEM - SPEEDTOUCH
    ROUTER - NONE

SETUP B - NO INTERNET
    MODEM - ZHONE
    ROUTER - NEXXT

etc. etc. etc.

Please do that and let us know what is going on. Waiting on your results.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Most wireless routers conflict with yur modem if not properly configured. Its should have been pre-configured to work with the Zhone modem where you bought it. Take it back and ask them to configure it so it don't conflict with your LAN modem, they should have the settings.
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

If the ip of the router is conflict with the modem , connect to the router, change the ip of it, then restart the router connect it to the modem and u should be good, i have one of these router and it works fine with the Zhone modem..

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    Not very clear on what is going on.

The scenario is that you can connect if you use the SPEEDTOUCH or the ZHONE modem straight, but when you go through the NEXXT router you cannot?

OR

Is the scenario that you connect with the SPEEDTOUCH but not with the ZHONE, and when you connect the SPEEDTOUCH to the NEXXT you get no internet?

Please be a little more clear on what is going on. I'll try and tackle it all the same with what you've provided.

If you are getting connected to the internet via your modem - SPEEDTOUCH or ZHONE - and you can browse with whichever, then that is fine. In order to get internet through the NEXXT wireless router, you need to plug your working modem into the WAN port on the NEXXT router. The NEXXT will be what is giving out the addresses, as that is it's job. It will sit between you and the modem and do all the work.

If browsing from the modem alone is not your problem then skip this step. If you're unable to browse with the modems, then you may not have internet connectivity. Log into the modem - address will either be 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.138 depending no modem - and the user/pass should be admin, unless you changed it. From there, check and see if you are actually connected to the internet. It should show you in the status for either model modem. Check if you get an IP from the ISP (CWJ/sLIME). If you have no connectivity there, then you cannot browse.

If you can browse with the modem directly but not with the router, then there may be some configuration trouble between the modem and the router. If the modem and router are issuing IP addresses within the same range (modem and router have same IP - 192.168.1.1 for example) then there may be a conflict and it may cause problems with your browsing. Strange as it may sound to some other techs, it may actually happen. To fix this, change the addressing on the MODEM by connecting to it directly.

My apologies for not going any further in-depth, but with the info you've provided I can't be too sure. Below is a sample format that I'd like you to use and post what your issue is after describing your scenario:

SETUP A - INTERNET
    MODEM - SPEEDTOUCH
    ROUTER - NONE

SETUP B - NO INTERNET
    MODEM - ZHONE
    ROUTER - NEXXT

etc. etc. etc.

Please do that and let us know what is going on. Waiting on your results.
    Let me make it a little bit clearer for you.

A is the speedtouch modem, when the router is connected to modem, it works perfectly

B Zhone modem, when connected to router, you are connected to the internet but u cannot browse.
    DIGI# 371-5367
    EMAIL: everythingpandc@msn.com. Blackberry Pin:
    If its APPLE Products, yeah cheap i can get it.
    If it doesnt says IBM Thinkpad, i aint using it Windows Mobile Fan

More than likely both devices are issuing DHCP addresses.Try disabling DHCP on the Wireless..Here you want the Next Wireless to act as a bridge.
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

Do as tech_guru suggests, I had the same problem with the Zhone modem and my MSI wireless router. Worked fine once I disabled the DHCP server on the router.

Adding to that.

With the ZHONE modem the problem is probably the IP range. The address of the modem is probably 192.168.1.1 and it's probably the same for the router. Log into the router and change the addressing, or into the modem. For either you're going to need to be connected directly to the device, and not have the other connected. So you disconnect the ZHONE and NEXXT, connect to whichever and make the change, then plug up again and you should be fine.

In order to use only one device (modem) as DHCP server, disconnect ZHONE and NEXXT, log into NEXXT and disable DHCP. Then connect ZHONE and NEXXT - ensuring that you DO NOT plug into the WAN port on the NEXXT. You want to plug into one of the LAN ports instead, as the WAN is usually segmented and kept away from the LAN on those devices, unless you can bridge it in the settings. Do what you need to and post your results.

FYI - most speedtouch modems issue the 10.0.0.X addresses, which is why you would not have that problem. If you have a newer firmware for the speedtouch then you may have the issue - as some newer firmwares issue in the range of 192.168.1.X

Post your results.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Dunno if this helps, but wouldnt u have to configure the router to work with the Zhone modem cause it has the Speedtouch settings on it alrdy.