Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3G Folly

Thumbs down 3G Folly

For those of us perched to the side...looking on at the BlackBerry and iPhone bandwagon alike...

I'd like to make a collective statement.

We with our Sony Ericssons, Samsungs etc...would also love to have access to 3G, I can imagine.

But wait!! What is it that's stopping us?

It's all too simple and sad an answer of the operational frequency of 850MHz of both Claro and LIME.

I'm sure that many Jamaicans who wish to have a 'feature' phone are aware that in acquiring one, is madness to do out here, sensible to do overseas.

As it is some will acquire phones from the U S of A and then unlock them, but I am sure some also opt to buy unlocked phones.

Any recent purchase of an unlocked phone most likely would possess 3G capability.

Here lies the problem

It's safe to say that most of these unlocked phones will not work with 3G in Jamaica even though so advertised, as unlocked = European or Chinese version and that 850MHz frequency is mainly utilized in America.

Take the Sony Ericsson W705 for example, boldly advertised by LIME to have 3G in one of their retail stores.

I am almost sure this phone will NOT work on LIME's 3G (or even Claro's) as in its W705i (unlocked) flavour its 3G frequency is
    HSDPA 900/2100
    The ONLY WAY that phone will work on LIME's 3G is if they have AMERICAN versions selling; W705a flavour with frequency
    UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
    which I doubt.

About time it's realized that we're not all average Joe's.

Too much misinformation!

Same goes for Claro's site with half of the phones advertised to have 3G I am sure will not work on 3G out here...most likely the same story in-store...

The news of 3G had me excited...at first ...

P.S. holup tell me supm is jus the BlackBerry Bold can work on 3G out here? Or is GSMArena messin wit me?
    Last edited by 3ngor; Aug 18, 2009 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngor View Post

P.S. holup tell me supm is jus the BlackBerry Bold can work on 3G out here? Or is GSMArena messin wit me?
    I had a E71 which work good with Claro 3g the vodeo calling worked criss

my nokia 3120 classic works quite well bt mayb u nt interested in the cheap phones

I checked Blackberry's site a while back. The bold uses 850, 1900 & 2100. Its the only triband 3g Blackberry. The tour and the storm both ONLY use 2100. Just research your phones before buying, thats all. But firstly are you 100% SURE is 850 lime AND claro use?
    Google Nexus 6P™

My Blackberry Bold works fine with Lime 3G...
    Pinch, Leave an inch, Roll

http://www.anyweh.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    I had a E71 which work good with Claro 3g the vodeo calling worked criss
    I guess you have the American version: HSDPA 850 / 1900 - American version

Quote Originally Posted by bloodup View Post
    my nokia 3120 classic works quite well bt mayb u nt interested in the cheap phones
    Makes sense. American version or not yours has the 850MHz freqeuncy standard.

Quote Originally Posted by toyanucci View Post
    I checked Blackberry's site a while back. The bold uses 850, 1900 & 2100. Its the only triband 3g Blackberry. The tour and the storm both ONLY use 2100. Just research your phones before buying, thats all. But firstly are you 100% SURE is 850 lime AND claro use?
    Tell me what you think ^^

Unless the information being relayed in the LIME and Claro 3G threads is bull...

The point of the thread is to show the lack of compatibility 3G in Jamaica has with most phones due to the alleged frequency being used.

And also, the FALSE ADVERTISING being done by LIME and Claro, as I'm sure most of the phones they boast to have 3G will not work on 3G out here.

There are versions of the phone which will work out here. They cant be SO stupid as to advertise phones which cant work with 3g. All you have to do is be smart. If you buy from them, you are guaranteed it will be compatible, if you buy outside of them, you have to do the research yourself.
    Google Nexus 6P™

jomo Guest

lol!!! this yute is on drugs? lol lol lol, dem couldnt so fool...

well...

lol, then again!...?

mmhm

as i seh da only way most phones being sold out here that have 3G gonna actually work on 3G is if they're selling the American versions (based on my understanding) unless this is all beyond me and i'm not understanding something...