Thread: External HDD with always-on LCD

Default External HDD with always-on LCD

Verbatim have announced a new external hard-drive, though you’d be forgiven for mistaking it for a set of kitchen scales. The InSight USB Portable Hard Drive has an always-on LCD which permanently displays the drive’s name and its capacity; it’s updated every time the InSight is connected or disconnected from the host PC or Mac.

Otherwise you’re looking at a pretty ordinary external hard-drive, with 320GB or 500GB on offer – which seems on the low side to us – and no separate PSU required. On sale now, priced at $119.99 for the 320GB and $149.99 for the 500GB.
    Also

The 2.5″ drives have a 5400rpm spindle speed and 8MB of cache memory to optimize performance. Equipped with a USB 2.0 port, the bus-powered drives achieve high-speed transfer rates of up to 480MB/sec.

With that last tidbit I have a question to ask...

What powers the 'always-on' LCD?

It's probably only powered and re-charged when plugged in but the data is stored on an internal battery, much like the one used to store BIOS data.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

once plugged in the lcd will keep on and i like the new idea verbatim and the price can work wid
    This Year Mi Want Fi Rich Yeah Mi Want Fi Meck Some Money Tired A The Heartache Tired A The Worries