Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Government Salary Scale.

Default Re: Government Salary Scale.

That range provided for IT/1 -4 bottoms out way lower than 700k p.a. In fact you looking at almost half of that for IT/1...and i'm doubtful about IT 4s gettin over a mill...
    Now we talking, something i can understand. Them whole heap a perks and privilleges did seem a bit outrageous to say the least.

But is it enuff to have a couple certs and some working exp.

First off... I apologize for the length of this thing - But I can't seem to shorten it - anywho, here goes:

Quote Originally Posted by Cue
    Misconception 1: You do not automatically get an IT 5 when you have achieved B.Sc status
    - Even more accurately, it is heavily dependent on the organisation. There are IT/5 people in positions without even a diploma! IT 5 positions have been created SPECIFICALLY for hiring people with first degrees! It's not a misconception my friend. FAAAR from it!

Misconception 2: That range provided for IT/1 -4 bottoms out way lower than 700k p.a. In fact you looking at almost half of that for IT/1...and i'm doubtful about IT 4s gettin over a mill...
    - Hold up, IT/4s do top 700k/pa - There has been a recent reclassification of MIS/IT positions (again!) and it pushes MIS/IT 4 just over the 700k mark. Retro-active cheques have just recently been distributed to affected employees! (i.e., those who were already IT 4 incumbents being paid at the old rate when the reclassification was done.)

Generally, your degree status does not determine where you are classified in the govt...in other words, just because someone has a degree and cert, does not mean they automatically get an IT/6...TRUST ME!
    - Actually, it does. Positions over IT 4 are generally awarded to people with degrees + experience (or equivalent level certs). I know people who have gotten MIS IT/5 jobs with only MCSE or CCNA certifications and NO degree! I am not kidding! Probationary periods may apply for 1 year at a lower scale. After probation, the incumbent is promoted if the manager feels they qualify, hence:

a post has a predetermined classification based on the job roles you've aluded to...not the qualification of the applicant
    - while it does govern the general employment principles, it is not inflexible. People have underfilled a position which requires higher qualifications than they currently hold, with the prospective of substantive employment! This is because they already have the skills and the experience, but not the papers (yet). If they were not already in the process of acquiring the qualification, they would not have been in the position in the first place.

Unlike some sectors, (based on my experience) when it comes to IT, Gov't places more emphasis on your skillset, not your papers. A man with a MCSE cert with no degree will in most cases be hired over a man who has a degree, but no functional knowledge of network administration. A man can come in with only certs, work his way into an IT/5 (which absolutely requires a degree) get paid at IT/5, and pursue a degree (or whatever other qualification he needs) until he substantively qualifies for IT/5. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME! His performance can bump him into an IT/6 (Master's Degree Req'd) if the opportunity presents itself, even IF he doesn't have a masters. It's not a friend business. If the man is clearly skillfully qualified, (in most cases w. experience) he will not be denied the opportunity to substantively acquire that position.

Furthermore, I did say that you have to work your way into an MIS / IT 6:

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocrates
    ...But in most cases, you either have to work your way up from IT/4 or 5 to 6, get transferred into a IT/6, get promoted, or have a Master's Degree (or equivalent skillset) to get into a IT/6. As Cue said earlier, IT/6 is Software Engineer level...
    So I'm not feeding you guys with any misinformation. I've been in this gig long enough to know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Xenocrates; Jan 13, 2005 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Now we talking, something i can understand. Them whole heap a perks and privilleges did seem a bit outrageous to say the least.
    - And my first post addressed MIS/IT 6, not IT 4. 6 is next to manegerial level (hence the perks re: Travelling). That's why Cue clarified earlier, MIS/IT 6 is for Software Engineers - Dudes who know the innards of Software Project development and management.

I really need to devise new means by which to shorten my posts - this is getting ridiculous...

God Bless and curse the anonymity of Discussion forums, cause the way Xeno talk bout govt 'runnings' its quite likely that he and i have crossed paths!
    - Quite likely. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we were already good acquaintances. What a laugh that would be - especially since I'm more or less acquainted with a good portion of the techies in many of the organisations. But I somehow doubt it. Why? Cuz everyone who knows me in person, takes one look at my writing style here and immediately knows who this menacing individual is... a mild mannered sof... err... nevermind...

Good Information Xeno. Additionally, I think you need to make another clarification. In the event that an individual as a degree is say English or Business Administration and IT certifications like (MCSA, MCSE or CCNA), does this qualify them for MIS/IT 6?

In addition, for the new users who may not be familiar which the pay scale (I know you have tried but), could you explain what MIS/IT means.
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Nas, First Question:

MIS/IT 6 is reserved for those with UWI Masters (i.e. M.Sc., not just any MBA, unless in IT) or some equivalent. You can get into a MIS / IT 5 with a Utech B.Sc. right off the bat and work your way into an MIS / IT 6 (if the opportunity presents itself) without having a masters however. You can also get into an MIS / IT 5 with a MCSE, CCNA (or similar level cert) even if you don't have a degree. MIS / IT 6 positions are primarily reserved for those with quals and experience. You can't get into a 6 without significant experience. Trust me - unless, like I said before, you're in the Master's League.

Nas, Second Question:

MIS / IT (Management Information Systems / Information Technology)

This is the classification regime used by the Gov't for all IT personnel. There are eight (8) levels in MIS/IT.

- Levels 1 - 4 are entry level positions. 1 - 3 are for those with a diploma, some cert, or associate degree.

- Level 4 is entry level for those with only B.Sc. (no certs)

- Level 5 if you have cert + B.Sc. or some significant skillset + cert, or B.Sc. + extended skillset. (I find that UTECH B.Sc. or MCSE/CCNA start people off at Level 5, and UWI B.Sc. at level 4. There may be exceptions, but I haven't come across any thus far.) The reason for this is that UTECH's degree covers the MCSE (if you specialize in networking), MCSD/MCSA (if you specialize in Enterprise Computing) and CISSP cert course content.

- Level 6 is for Software Engineers, Project Managers or otherwise those with UWI M.Sc. (or MBA equiv in IT). If you are fully CISCO certified, there's a good chance that you might get in at this Level for Senior Network Admin status. But that depends highly on the organisation.

- Levels 7 & 8 reserved for senior department managers etc. or consultants working with Gov't temporarilty to implement a critical project. Such consultants are released after the project lifespan elapses. No amount of qualification can get you into these positions without significant experience in the field. Even then, successful incumbents have to undergo a gruelling interview by other managers in this position. Might even have to sit interview with ministry's permanent secretary in some particularly critical positions.

Ok..thanks Xeno.....

Now Hear this... this is hot of the press notice it not in the Career Pages of the Gleaner

The Ministry of Transport and Works is has the following two postions:

System Development & Implementation Manager (MIS/IT 5)
    Network Communications Manager (MIS/IT 6)

plus allowances for each post....

Note. end date is Janurary 14th.....

The programmer got to be goooooooooood!

Not to mention the network mngr.....

Where to send it ??????......Go do some work for yu selves!
    Heroes to Mentors -

ive been searching and searching. where do u send ur resume when applying to government ORG's? ive tried MOF cant find out which office exactly. help me plz
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Do not bother trying to apply for jobs at gov ministries.. they arent hiring or werent.

I am hearing on the news about some breakdown of the MOU what does this mean for new applicants?

Regards,
    Pogi Tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    Do not bother trying to apply for jobs at gov ministries.. they arent hiring or werent.

I am hearing on the news about some breakdown of the MOU what does this mean for new applicants?

Regards,
    Pogi Tuner.
    The breakdown has nothing directly to do with the lack of hiring new staff. When the MoU was put in place one of the conditions was that there would be a freeze on hiring new staff (unless extremely necessary), along with the max 3% p.a. salary increase. Until the MoU has expired, it's not goping to be that easy to get a Govt job.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com