Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBerry Storm 9530 and Digicel's BB service

Question BlackBerry Storm 9530 and Digicel's BB service

Hoping someone can help. Just got this phone and trying to get on Digi's BB service. The phone is an unlocked Verizon Wireless with Application Version 4.7.0.75 and Platform Version 4.0.0.94 if that helps. I've done some reading and seen where the 9530 and Digi aren't the best of friends but still hoping it can work.

Since I've put my sim in the phone it has "edge" in lowercase (my sim was internet activated from before). I called them to activate the BB service and they told me to remove the battery and the phone will reset and I'll see Edge in all caps. That hasn't happened. Still only comes up in all lowercase. Another CSR made me do a diagnostic test and told me for Radio Service, Edge, and signal I should have "yes" beside them all.

At the top I see Radio Data Activation: No
    Signal Level: unknown
    Radio Access: Unknown

and nothing about Edge. They told me that the phone may not be "data unlocked" but I'm pretty certain it is.

Can anyone help? Is there anything at all I can try?

Thanks in advance.

under options -advanced options - tcp - APN:what you have written here?

typical problems with the storm. try and test it with another data chip like a claro, if it dont work upgrade ur firmware cause that ur using now is an old firmware.
    We sell only the latest and the best product and we don't have only one in stock so never be afraid to buy CONTACT US @ 3631007 OR BBM 7A0E8BF1

Quote Originally Posted by docta View Post
    under options -advanced options - tcp - APN:what you have written here?
    APN: emgsm.vzw3g.com

Quote Originally Posted by hv_thugg View Post
    typical problems with the storm. try and test it with another data chip like a claro, if it dont work upgrade ur firmware cause that ur using now is an old firmware.
    Don't have another data sim unfortunately. Is the best way to upgrade the firmware is to use the BB site online upgrade link through the digicel site? Or do you have direct links?

Ok. When I use the BB Desktop Manager to update the device software it shows:

Blackberry 4.7 (Preferred) 4.7.0.148
    Blackberry 4.7 (Current) 4.7.0.75
    Blackberry 4.7 (Downgrade) 4.7.0.65

There is a check mark beside the "preferred" one but that version number is much lower than current or downgrade. Anyway, I tried it but got an error "A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

And I get that if I try and add an application as well.

I've resisted installing the Verizon cd's that came with the phone, but should I try installing them to see if the thing will actually work? I'm very paranoid about bricking the phone.
    Last edited by ObeahMan; Aug 6, 2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: updated info

I have a 9530, it was on Digi now its on Claro.
    If you asked me i would say you need to do a backup and then wipe the phone clean and reload the OS. The same procedure that you would do if it was bricked.
    Oh and dont ever call digi again, ever!. Your better off trying to figure it out by yourself.

I have to say that i was ahving the same problem.I had version 148 on it and CSR told me that I should have versin .75. This i think i sa load of crap. I had the service when it was a promotion in december and they could not figure out how to get the service on my phone again. It is so true, it makes no sense no to call their CRSA team, it is a waste of your time. They keep asking me stupis questions " do you have enough credit on the phone". I keep getting the message that I cannot activate the service at this time and should try again later.. or something to that effect. now i only needed my storm for browsing and messenger so my solution was to use claro. I did not have an issue connecting. Digicel need to get some reps that that know what they are doing. They keep saying will refer it to a tecnician...lol bunch of joke.

look like the storm is pure problems when it comes to digi, hearing all sort of stories about them with digi network simple thing like checking your balance is a problem

RubberBand Man Guest

From what I have been hearing and seeing is only the 9530 give problems on digicel.

I concur 9530 and Digi are a combination to drive the owner insane.
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5