View Poll Results: How often do you upgrade your pc?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every Year

10 28.57%
  • Two years is great

9 25.71%
  • 3 years and no more

6 17.14%
  • I demand at least 4-5 years

5 14.29%
  • When the power button no longer works

5 14.29%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you need to upgrade your PC?

Default How often do you need to upgrade your PC?

A friend and I were arguing about how often is it really necessary to upgrade the core components of a pc: that is Primarily component motherboard, processor and memory. Personally I generally don't keep my mobo and proc longer than 2years but some folk seem to think they should upgrade only if the pc kicks the bucket.
    Am curious to find out how often you all upgrade, and yes purchasing a brand new machine is included but gpu, soundcard etc doesn't count just the core stuff.
    Last edited by Technocrat; Aug 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Respawned: Asrock Z77 EX6_i5 2500K_XSPC Watercooled_16GB Vengence DDR3_2xCrucial M4 64gb ssd Raid0(os) 3TBs(stor)_Corsair AX860_MSI GTX 760_2x Asus 23.6" LED_Win8
    Computers-Incredibly fast accurate & stupid. Humans-Incredibly slow,inaccurate & brilliant. Together we are powerful beyond imagination

i look at upgrading whenever i find that what i need to throw at it cannot be handled - e.g. if i find that it repeatedly hangs during video rendering or the like
    >>Insert something witty here<<

It all depends what you do with your machine people who are into graphics (image/video editing) and or gamers would find themselves upgrading often because as software gets better they become more demanding as if graphics software wasn't demanding enough, personally I upgrade to keep up with tech growth or if I see a good deal and I have the money I'll get it. I know people who do the basics check mail, use office and now and then listen to music people like that really don't need to upgrade for lengthy periods.
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    It all depends what you do with your machine people who are into graphics (image/video editing) and or gamers would find themselves upgrading often because as software gets better they become more demanding as if graphics software wasn't demanding enough, personally I upgrade to keep up with tech growth or if I see a good deal and I have the money I'll get it. I know people who do the basics check mail, use office and now and then listen to music people like that really don't need to upgrade for lengthy periods.
    yeah, what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by mike876 View Post
    yeah, what he said...
    yes mike your level of creativity knows no bounds
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

my time frame isnt there , every 2-3 months
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Quote Originally Posted by pezz View Post
    my time frame isnt there , every 2-3 months
    Ha ha ha ha whoa Pezz isn't that a new trend of yours or from you became a techie you change your system every 2-3 months?

Ha ha ha ha whoa Pezz isn't that a new trend of yours or from you became a techie you change your system every 2-3 months?
    either i change gpu, cpu or ram or something every 2-3 months sometimes 4 , isnt that an upgrade?

next I gonna change mobo cpu and ofcourse this wuklis 3850
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

yes mike your level of creativity knows no bounds
    LOL and this is coming from a man who gets his quotes from video games.

Quote Originally Posted by mike876 View Post
    LOL and this is coming from a man who gets his quotes from video games.
    don't hate that statement has deep meaning it goes way beyond the gaming realm. I have other quotes but they lost the signature wars to my PC specs.