Thread: to dum tiss: All my money says you can't...

Cool to dum tiss: All my money says you can't...

...create a folder named con.

Also, a couple Windows 7 tips and tricks:

Windows key + Left: docks current window to the left side of the screen.

Windows key + Right: docks current window to the right side of the screen.

Windows key + Up: maximizes and/or restores foreground window.

Windows key + Down: minimizes active window.

If you want a more Vista-esque taskbar rather than the superbar (why anyone would revert is beyond me), right-click the Taskbar, go to Properties, check the ‘Use small icons’ option, then change the “Taskbar Buttons” option to ‘Never combine.’

Windows 7 now burns ISO files themselves instead of making users grapple with third-party applications.

For those lucky people with a multi-monitor setup, Windows + SHIFT + Left (or Right) will shift a window from monitor to monitor.

Gone is the “Add Font” dialog. It’s been replaced with a much nicer system. Download a font and double-click it (you’ll be greeted with the familar font window, but you should notice it now has a ‘Install’ button).

Windows 7 now includes Gabriola. This is an elaborate display typeface that takes advantage of OpenType layout to create a variety of stylistic sets.

If you press Windows + 1, it will create a new instance of the first icon in the task bar. This is handy if you do a lot of coding and need to open several instances of a program.

If you right-click on a Taskbar icon, it brings up the much talked about Jump List. However, the same can be done by clicking with the left mouse button and dragging the icon “out” (so to speak). This was specifically designed for touch-enabled computers, such as your lovely HP TouchSmart PC.

To run a program as an Administrator, it’s now as easy as holding CTRL + SHIFT when you open the application.

With Windows 7, you can now create a ‘System Repair Disc.’ This is a CD bootable version of Windows 7 that includes the command prompt and a suite of system tools. Very handy for those really tough spots (which, with this still in beta, could be just around the corner). To get to this, simply open the Start Menu and type: “system repair disc” in the search field.

Why the name?
    Microsoft’s Mike Nash completes the story on the official Windows Team Blog:

“The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We've used version numbers like Windows 3.11, or dates like Windows 98, or "aspirational" monikers like Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new "aspirational" name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows. Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense.”

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngor View Post
    ...create a folder named con
    That's logically so as it's a reserved word.

Device names such as COM1, CON or LPT1 are reserved words, and they can't be used as folder or file names.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

You think it hard to create a file or folder name con? You have money to dash weh?
    FSP AX450-PN PSU, Asrock Ext3 Gen3, Core i5-2500K, 8GB DDR3 1333, Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2GB OC, S231HLbid 23" TN LCD, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, Hyper 212+ HSF
    Out of the many we will form an indivisible whole capitulating only to a single throne, and from that throne, I, shall watch over you.

Quote Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
    You think it hard to create a file or folder name con? You have money to dash weh?
    ha ha

watchu tlkn bout?

I suppose it can be done...

QED in fact. Please bet me!
    FSP AX450-PN PSU, Asrock Ext3 Gen3, Core i5-2500K, 8GB DDR3 1333, Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2GB OC, S231HLbid 23" TN LCD, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, Hyper 212+ HSF
    Out of the many we will form an indivisible whole capitulating only to a single throne, and from that throne, I, shall watch over you.

I'm willing to take up that bet. It can be done. How much you have to lose?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by khat17 View Post
    I'm willing to take up that bet. It can be done. How much you have to lose?
    ha ha fo what you'd be geting the most you could do is try your luck on Lucky5...once

But as i seh I figure more or less it can be done...

I did research this before I post ya kno ...

Microsoft stated that the names are reserved. COM1, CON, etc.......... so you will not be able to do so normally. Myself and others have posted that it can be done, so if you want the beans spilled just say and we will be happy to post it.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Someone do it and post screenshot results please !!!!!!!

*sigh* video clip will be up soon.

*EDIT*

Click link to see how it's done.
    Last edited by khat17; Aug 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM.