Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Drives Vs. Hard Drives Vs. DVD and Optical Media

I guess u haven't heard about SSDs then. Optical disks will be around for awhile, same goes for HDDs. From performance to storage capacity, to cost per GB, to failing issues; they just don't add up IMO.. smh

And plz do remember that businesses play a big role in technology; it may work for you but it may not for them.
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

As everyone has said, they both have their places in the business. Optical disc provide you with a quick way of passing info around. Most persons carry sensitive data on a thumb drive and will think twice about sticking it in any and every PC!
    RIG: i5 Quad CPU @ 2.67GHz | Gigabyte P55A-UD3 Mobo | ATI Radeon HD 5750 | WD 500GB HDD | Samsung 160GB HDD | Maxtor 160GB HDD | Samsung 120 GB HDD | Segate 160GB external HDD | Corsair 2 x 2GB DDR3 PC3 10666 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 4GB DDR3 PC3 10666 | LG DVD RW+- | 700Watt OCz ModXstream Pro PSU | 17" Proview Widescreen | 32" Viore Widescreen

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    Well it depends on what u need. USB drives are good for carrying around files yes but they are also good for carrying around viruses as well. Also most USB drives do not have the transfer speeds of hard drives and seeing that hard drives are using flash technology (albeit the a more advanced form), they are becoming one of the same. It is just that the interfaces are different.
    usb drives are relatively slow riddled with viruses im talking form exper and data error when transferring files are frequent because of this while optical drive u see less of this

personally i prefer usb drives over optical media
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

Yeah, I can drop my flash drive, and it works, but scratch a CD and good luck.
    I use a i3 laptop that runs World Community Grid all day.
    Crow: 316-2855 (LIME) Xfire: Napalmphoenix

A CD will die over time (little holes start showing up on the back) regardless if u use it yes or no.
    While your Flash drive can be left unused for years and is still operational.

optical media will forever live on solid state disk are too expensive and they really not worth the money ..i would rather have 32gb external hard drive walking around with than a 32gb flash drive cause at th eend of the day flash drive are prone to voltage hits from pc no grounded properly i have know many a flash drive been killed by pc lol my laptop fried my flash drive and there have been other cases
    Dont hate ma game we all here for the same reasons,We here to get tha green paper throughout all seasons.C.R.E.A.M

They all have their benefits and faults ppl. and all have their uses, none will replace the other any time soon. Well... cept for external hdd and thumbdrives, the line might blur there.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
    Optical has a huge advantage over other medium and that is Price you can grab a 100 pack dvd 470Gb for little less than a $1000Ja and $20.99 on newegg. Thats hard to beat in fact its unbeatable.
    Hmm and for USD$29 more you could get a permanent 500gb storage device, Not much hassle to handle and you don't have to worry about scarping it or misplacing it.

Default Maybe

I guest because it is easier to connect and they are coming in very large gig sizes look at xbox 360 dont really need cd anymore