Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Drives Vs. Hard Drives Vs. DVD and Optical Media

wii.live07 Guest

Default USB Drives Vs. Hard Drives Vs. DVD and Optical Media

Will USB drives replace DVD media and hard drives? I was watching Click on BBC and heard they have 250 GB usb drives now. Why bother with DVDs or storing stuff on your hard drive when you can carry files with you? Suppose you go to someone's house and you want to get a file from them and you have no burners, maybe the burner went bad or not there at all. Just copy the thing to your usb drive and take it with you. No DVDs neded. I think the hard drive's days are numbered and so are the desktop PCs. Too big and clunky. A change is coming.

When people stop selling/distributing software on CD/DVDs, I'll stop using them.
    I use a i3 laptop that runs World Community Grid all day.
    Crow: 316-2855 (LIME) Xfire: Napalmphoenix

from I in grade 10 I always have my hdd in my school bag.you gonna spend 700 euro on a 256GB drive? optical media will live on . external protabe hdd @ 320GB is just over $100 cad so your idea fails
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

They all have their uses. If you go to a friends house a thumb drive or external HDD would be the better choice, but if you dont have those u burn it. If you are out of ur homes now and ur friend needs to bring files to u from home he would use a dvd and give that to u, cause he wont be giving you his thumb drive most likely (unless a lappy in the mix). so it all depends on what u got and what u need.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Wii, why would you want to carry all your files on a usb drive? I have more confidence in files stored on DVDs as opposed to a USB drive. Eventually you would find out the hard way that you should not use a usb drive as your primary storage medium.

i have a markvision 1gig not all the times iput data on it, it copies correctly on it is when i reach home and click the file it gives me error inter/external hdrive all the way still

Well it depends on what u need. USB drives are good for carrying around files yes but they are also good for carrying around viruses as well. Also most USB drives do not have the transfer speeds of hard drives and seeing that hard drives are using flash technology (albeit the a more advanced form), they are becoming one of the same. It is just that the interfaces are different.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Hard Drives will live on but i think optical media will eventually die out.

Disney is now selling movies on SD Memcards so theres a start.

i agree with what bnova said, alot of pple carrying around some usb drives that are just riddled with viruses. Its just not as safe as a DVD when you look at the big picture. As far as replacing hard drives go, i dont see that happening
    Black by popular demand
    Ω
    Asus G73JH 17.3" - Core i7 740QM|6GB DDR3 1333| ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB| 640GB HDD

Optical has a huge advantage over other medium and that is Price you can grab a 100 pack dvd 470Gb for little less than a $1000Ja and $20.99 on newegg. Thats hard to beat in fact its unbeatable.
    Respawned: Asrock Z77 EX6_i5 2500K_XSPC Watercooled_16GB Vengence DDR3_2xCrucial M4 64gb ssd Raid0(os) 3TBs(stor)_Corsair AX860_MSI GTX 760_2x Asus 23.6" LED_Win8
    Computers-Incredibly fast accurate & stupid. Humans-Incredibly slow,inaccurate & brilliant. Together we are powerful beyond imagination