Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why should I use PHP

Default Re: Why should I use PHP

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    I think programmers should write code in whatever they are best at and eventually somebody will pay you to do it.
    removed the link

not typical but you can try to replicate that page in ASP if you wish.
    Hey owen... I like your code... some of the cleanest PHP I've seen in a long time
    Last edited by owen; Jan 10, 2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: removed the link
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

this is so true most of the people doing the hiring don't know about the crux of the matter......and what you said about JA hosts and NIX boxes is also true i remember developing a site in ASP and damn near killed myself redoing it in pHp cause very few host support it

Im currently writing a asp program, which is almost complete, but now that im reading about php with its platform independence and speed, its a lil deflating, apart from that, is there any much difference between asp and php

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleyute
    Im currently writing a asp program, which is almost complete, but now that im reading about php with its platform independence and speed, its a lil deflating, apart from that, is there any much difference between asp and php
    yes there is much difference. depending on how you are looking at it. But both PHP and ASP send html to the browser.

Angry Re: Why should I use PHP

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    I think programmers should write code in whatever they are best at and eventually somebody will pay you to do it.

not typical but you can try to replicate that page in ASP if you wish.
    Man I so totally agree with that, me understand the importance of scripting language for html, so me learn JavaScript did also a go toward vbScript but turn back. A learning asp.net at school even wrote code with Borland C++ for web page you can Imagine that, and you still a tell me a need to go learn php before me can get the job. Plz.
    A wonder if them realize that the language you like to use can actually do wat them want.
    Last edited by owen; Apr 14, 2005 at 10:18 AM.

i was telling a 4th year at utech today about the php tutorial i saw at jalug. and he said that the next .net "unleashed" was going to demolish php. but he couldnt provide any reasons except that its differences from the old one was 1 it wasnt made by microsoft and 2 it could be used on nix and windows. anyone have any info about this? im a php supporter, but it would be best to tuse the best tool for the job, right?
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    i was telling a 4th year at utech today about the php tutorial i saw at jalug. and he said that the next .net "unleashed" was going to demolish php. but he couldnt provide any reasons except that its differences from the old one was 1 it wasnt made by microsoft and 2 it could be used on nix and windows. anyone have any info about this? im a php supporter, but it would be best to tuse the best tool for the job, right?
    I wouldn't be surprised if .net does lots of stuff better than PHP. In fact, I'd be surprised if it didn't, they've been working long and hard at it. If do get into .net it will be using mono (http://go-mono.com). I spoke to a guy who just finished a project written in .net, what I'm learning is that it has some great libraries/widgets (e.g. a built in tools that can generate a dynamica javascript powered photo album). What I understand is great if you're building stuff around their ready made widgets, but if you need to go a step further and create new stuff it may not necessarily simplify things. Anyway... that's an outsider's view.

In the meantime Zope/Plone full up my cup (but we tangent from the pHP argument)
    Last edited by pigeonflight; Apr 13, 2005 at 11:23 PM.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Because ASP hosting isnt cheap!!

About the relative platform dependence of ASP, I know that the ASP.NET 2.0 will be independent of IIS. I am not sure if that means that is will be able to run on both *NIX and windows. If MS is smart that is what they would do.

I must say the info you guys have imparted on the relative merits of PHP vs. ASP was quite informative. I am a proponent of ASP and .NET but I am inspired to get more rounded and learn to "articulate" in PHP. As someone wisely mentioned, ASP hosting is not cheap. Cheapest I could find is US15.95 a month.
    Life is not measured by the number of breathes you take but by the moments that take your breath away.