Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why should I use PHP

Default Re: Why should I use PHP

well nder yes you can run asp on a linux machine but your going to need Chilli ASP to run it I think

http://www.hotscripts.com has some nice stuff that you can do with php. Im not a fan of VB so im not really a fan of ASP.

At first i was gonna take up Macromedia Coldfusion. But later found out PHP could add stuff to a database as well. Our HTML teacher cut the class short so we had to fend for ourselves. PHP was the answer......

Look how many more tutorials there are for PHP over ASP. Thats another reason why i learned PHP.

As a programmer who has used both ASP and PHP for a long time I can say that PHP is nicer to write programs in. You could write the same program in both languages but you will most likely write a better program - faster in PHP, if you learn it well. ASP and ASP.NET is almost always better at using Microsoft technologies. So if you are going to be doing allot of MSSQL servering and Office stuff it's best to stick with ASP and learn .NET .
    The perception of what is considered "nicer, smarter code" is abit different from person to person but most persons find that PHP is less restricting than ASP. I could even go into the minor differences such as "response.write" and "print();", c style syntax etc but it's best if you figure it out your self.

I find it less restricting. PHP can be integrated with javascript to create some cool stuff dynamic select box etc... you can even use it wid Flash.
    Not sure if this means anything to you since you didn't get that call from the ppl dem but PHP is a nice language to know.

LOL, there was once an ASP programmer @ ma workplace and he was trying to run ASP scripts on the linux server, LOL, LMAO needless to say, he doesn't work there anymore.

Poor ting... LOLOLOL
    Last edited by Virus; Jan 5, 2005 at 09:43 PM.

@Virus listen up you can run asp on a linux machine as I said before but your going to need a third party software to install on your linux machine.

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...newpost&t=7768

I know, but i don't really care im not a ASP person.

I think programmers should write code in whatever they are best at and eventually somebody will pay you to do it.

here is some php;
    http://www.owensoft.net/v4/archive/source/

not typical but you can try to replicate that page in ASP if you wish.

ASP versus PHP... short answer use PHP.
    As a plus... PHP works inside Zope, ASP does not.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonflight
    ASP versus PHP... short answer use PHP.
    As a plus... PHP works inside Zope, ASP does not.
    Sounds interesting: Do you have to install a special "PHP product" to do so ?

RobyG,
    Yes... it's a PHPParser product, so you get the power of Zope but with your favorite scripting language.
    http://zope.org/Members/hewei/PHParser/PHParser-1.1.2
    What would be interesting would be deploying something like vbulletin or PHPBB within zope via the PHPParser product.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org